JohnS

Unreleased Art Blakey BN session 8 March 1959

8 posts in this topic

Now on YouTube.

Apologies if this has been posted previously

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting to re-read cuscuna's comments on this session. while the session surely has it's faults (blakey sounds cranky, mobley strung-out, merritt struggles a lot), it's not as bad as it's made out to be. especially since cuscuna had no problems releasing two sub-par GG sessions (standards, first session).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where in the hell is this guy -- "Joe Louis" -- getting these tapes?

Edited by Mark Stryker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Where in the hell is this guy -- "Joe Louis" -- getting these tapes?

All of these sessions slipped out of the vault in the past 10-15 years and have circulated a bit (for better or for worse not to the hands of the Andorrans). I am guessing that before long the KD Blue Lament session will show up on youtube and so will the Ike Quebec with Roach and Green.  

As far as the Blakey goes I made a CD of the tracks that weren't marked rejected or broke down. Personally my feeling was that Hank's chirpy reed ruined the date more than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Hankerchirp!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty important stuff in my opinion.  Is there anywhere else you can hear Mobley and Morgan developing their solos over several takes?

 

Edited by JohnS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 3/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, Dan Gould said:

 

As far as the Blakey goes I made a CD of the tracks that weren't marked rejected or broke down. Personally my feeling was that Hank's chirpy reed ruined the date more than anything else.

Good idea.  I've made a cdr of the "master takes".  Probably the best way to listen to this music.  Sounds like a pretty normal Blakey set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnS said:

 

Good idea.  I've made a cdr of the "master takes".  Probably the best way to listen to this music.  Sounds like a pretty normal Blakey set.

Yeah!

And I thought Lee sounds pretty good, on some of the breakdowns he keeps playing and it sounds like he's saying, "WTF guys, c'mon!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.