Miles Davis - We Want Miles (Japanese reissue)

mjzee

This is really strange to me - this issue has been out for four years, but I can't come up with any information about the source of the bonus tracks. If they're from the Japanese issue Miles Miles Miles, I don't need them. But if they're previously unreleased tracks from the Boston or New York shows that contributed to We Want Miles, I definitely want this.

9 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

This is really strange to me - this issue has been out for four years, but I can't come up with any information about the source of the bonus tracks. If they're from the Japanese issue Miles Miles Miles, I don't need them. But if they're previously unreleased tracks from the Boston or New York shows that contributed to We Want Miles, I definitely want this.

There's your answer, courtesy of Discogs: "2cd packed in foldout digipack, part of a 20set miles davis collection madi in the EU. Tracks 1.5, 1.6, and 2.3 is not originally on LP, but is previously issued on the japaneese Miles Davis Album "Miles! Miles! Miles!" (CBS/Sony SRCS 6513/14) November 1, 1992."  See: https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-We-Want-Miles/release/3495631

Except the original Japanese CD of the Shinjuku concert, Miles! Miles! Miles!, contains the complete 11:33 minute version of Jean Pierre. Also missing are the Shinjuku versions of Black Seat Betty (20:18) and My Man's Gone Now (15:44).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles!_Miles!_Miles!

I believe I read on the Hoffman board that this was a particularly good concert for the band, but not for Miles.

See here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-miles-davis-album-by-album-thread.137423/page-105#post-18679654

Edited by erwbol

I liked the early 80´s Miles bands much more than the later ones from 84 on.

That 81 band was quite a rough one, but they really grooved and played much more "jazz" than later, when he got 2 synthizeres and had fired Al Foster and played boring stuff like "Human Nature" and "Time After Time".

I think the best 1981 stuff was from his first attempts to play again in public: From the Kix Club in Boston ! He sounds somewhat rusty, but play he does, and often with open horn.
I have a recording of Miles from september 1981 at Hollywood Bowl that sounds much weaker, and in Japan he really sounds weak, almost only with the mute and barely audible, sometimes on video I only see the trumpet on his lips and can´t hear the stuff.
Miles was a very very sick man and I think his onest efforts at Kix to just PLAY , where he really plays some trumpet, blew his lungs out and later in 81, as at the japan tour he was in no condition anymore.

I was there for one of those first London (Hammersmith Odeon) concerts back in 1982 - possibly the second of two performances that night. Huge expectations in the crowd, as I don’t think he had played a major London UK since about 1970 (Isle of Wight, I guess). What I recall is that it wasn’t very long (one set, just over an hour), Miles looked very frail (not expected), emerging onto the stage with walking stick and that Mike Stern was featured very extensively in Van Halen mode. Wish I’d been closer to the stage, my seat was well back. I’ve got recollections of someone shouting out ‘play some jazz’ at one point.

I remember being surprised by just how boppish/straight ahead ‘My Man’s Gone Now’ was - and the fact that he even played it at all. That performance was a highlight of the show (along with a lengthy-ish ‘Ife’).  Inconceivable during the ‘Agharta’ period.

Ian Carr’s book had also just come out before this show so I always associate this concert with reading that (excellent) book.

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, the 1982 spring tour must have been very interesting. I saw the comeback Miles for the first time in 1983 in Vienna and he had his chops back, played much trumpet. Sorry to say "My Man´s Gone Now" allready was dropped from the repertory, but there was still enough Jazz/Jazz-Rock from the best one. And it was still the music first. On later occasions, especially after Al Foster had left, it wasn´t the same any more.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, the 1982 spring tour must have been very interesting. I saw the comeback Miles for the first time in 1983 in Vienna and he had his chops back, played much trumpet. Sorry to say "My Man´s Gone Now" allready was dropped from the repertory, but there was still enough Jazz/Jazz-Rock from the best one. And it was still the music first. On later occasions, especially after Al Foster had left, it wasn´t the same any more.

Saw this one in 1984 .... with some moments of late magic on offer ....

Yes, I remember Wiesen 1984 was the first time I heard "Mrs. Morrisine", that C-minor track that later was on "Your Are Under Arest" , then it was for me an untitled mystery tune.

And I remember Chick Corea sat in on "Speak" but either I´m too dumb to hear somethin happenin there or Chick Corea simply didn´t have anything to say on it. I just repeats one figure in a quite hesitant manner.

Miles still could have his great moments, but I remember the album "Decoy" was a big disappointment for me. I liked Star People since it still had some jazz approach and was carrying further on the 1981 stuff with still the best men in his group, jazz orientated players. I think "Decoy" came out in 1984 and was the greatest disappointment for me.

13 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

On later occasions, especially after Al Foster had left, it wasn´t the same any more.

Yes, that 1982 performance had Al Foster on drums, wonderful big sound. With this band playing ‘Ife’, the links to the 70s bands were tangible. The next time I saw him was in early 1985 - Vince Wilburn on drums I think.

Edited by sidewinder