Dan Gould

BFT 178 Link and Discussion

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am really enjoying this Blindfold Test. It is sheer pleasure. I don't know very many of the musicians, but I think I may know a few.

Track 4 is Jive Samba, and that is Wild Bill Davis on organ. I can pick out his distinctive sound and approach. I don't know the album.

Track 10 is Ben Webster. It sounds like something from late in his career, perhaps recorded with a European trio. That is all I've got.

I actually know Track 12. I am astonished that I know one. I bought a stack of 3 Sounds CDs at Brothers Music in Mission, Kansas, recently. When I saw them in the bin, I thought of you, Dan Gould, and decided to get them all. This song is from their Black Orchid album, and it is a Gene Harris composition, "Oh Well Oh Well".

Track 11 is also :"Oh Well Oh Well." I have no idea who is playing it. I like the 3 Sounds version better.

Edited by Hot Ptah

6 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

I am really enjoying this Blindfold Test. It is sheer pleasure. I don't know very many of the musicians, but I think I may know a few.

Track 4 is Jive Samba, and that is Wild Bill Davis on organ. I can pick out his distinctive sound and approach. I don't know the album.

Very good!

Track 10 is Ben Webster. It sounds like something from late in his career, perhaps recorded with a European trio. That is all I've got.

Yes, though that European trio is kinda the reason why it was picked. Late, but not super late in Ben's career.

I actually know Track 12. I am astonished that I know one. I bought a stack of 3 Sounds CDs at Brothers Music in Mission, Kansas, recently. When I saw them in the bin, I thought of you, Dan Gould, and decided to get them all. This song is from their Black Orchid album, and it is a Gene Harris composition, "Oh Well Oh Well".

Track 11 is also :"Oh Well Oh Well." I have no idea who is playing it. I like the 3 Sounds version better.

This was the risk run, that someone would have the original recording and recognize which is The Three Sounds. Going to hold out hope that Jim is so closely attuned to the Trio that he will recognize that way.

I'd say the remaining question is whether track 11 is also Gene?

Actually the remaining question is who will say "Is it Live or is it Memorex?" first.  :g

Pretty good percentage on the guesses at least! Thanks Bill glad you are enjoying the tunes.

Halfway thru I know its the dog days of every BFT month but UP for more commentary.  I'm an optimist that way.