Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 3 - Recommend, Please

JSngry

Heard the DSO do this last night, and I'd like to explore further. Seems like a tricky piece in therms of harmony and transition, attention to the finer points and not essentially "flat-lined". Are there versions on record that are successfully "micromanged" to get the full benefit of everything that's in there? Or is the piece maybe one of those things that's got a lot of good moments but can't quite come together as a whole? Edo de Waart was conducting last night, and I suppose it's to his credit that I'm left asking this, but really, I'd have preferred not having to.

So anyway...who's done a record of this one that is magnifilorious?

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Heard the DSO do this last night, and I'd like to explore further. Seems like a tricky piece in therms of harmony and transition, attention to the finer points and not essentially "flat-lined". Are there versions on record that are successfully "micromanged" to get the full benefit of everything that's in there? Or is the piece maybe one of those things that's got a lot of good moments but can't quite come together as a whole? Edo de Waart was conducting last night, and I suppose it's to his credit that I'm left asking this, but really, I'd have preferred not having to.

So anyway...who's done a record of this one that is magnifilorious?

Ashkenazy Concertgebouw (Decca)

Roszdestvensky Moscow Radi Orchestra (The Classical Russian Revelation)

Really not interested in Rachmaninoff piano concertos. They're big draws locally, and although probably the "contemporary performer"'s fault (as well as the audiences who keep coming out to hear them), they're definitely not what I'm looking for, Seems the same attitude that gave us FUSION, just applied to a different, as Braxton might call it, continuum. But either way, no thanks.

That Symphony No. 3, though, that was an interesting piece of music last night. I'm looking forward to hearing somebody who can make it even more interesting on repeated listenings.

• 2 months later...