Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Dryden

Problems With a Seagate Portable Hard Drive

6 posts in this topic

I tried to save the show I produced today to a portable hard drive (Seagate, 4 TB) and was unable to do so. Is there any way to salvage the contents before it dies?

Ken,

One time, I used a company called Datarecovery.com -- https://datarecovery.com -- when recovering the data on an external HD was absolutely necessary.

I mailed the faulty HD to them, and they moved the data to a new external HD.  Then they mailed it back to me.  It took a couple weeks from start to finish.

They do solid work, but it is NOT cheap.  Recovery of the data on my drive cost about $400.00, IIRC. 

I checked a couple local places around Atlanta.  Nobody could do it locally.

Thanks for the tip. I don't even know the contents of the hard drive, so I'm not sure if is worth spending that much money.

Thanks for the tip.

If you're sure the program actually wrote to the EHD before it became non-responsive, you could try removing the disc from its casing and transferring it to a hard drive enclosure, such as: Sabrent

(Just do a search for "hard drive enclosure;" there are tons of them available.  The above link is just an example.)

Of course, if the EHD failed before your program saved, then you're out of luck regardless.  Couldn't hurt to risk $25 or so to find out.

Download and run Crystal Disc Info, a free program that will assess the health of your hard drives. If it's dead, this will not resurrect it.

If you have a Mac, you can do the same with the built-in program Disc Utility.