Convert MP3 to WMA

Milestones

I general like my files in WMA (Windows Media Player) rather than WP3.  I just noticed my computer was ripping music files into MP3 format.  A CD that would not burn in MP3 format did burn when I reloaded the original CD into the computer and converted to WMA format.

These days I seem to be having a lot of trouble with MP3, though in the past it was generally fine.

There seem to be programs that convert MP3 to WMA.  Does anyone do that?  Do you have recommended programs?

Thanks.

Can I ask what problems you are having with mp3? I have used VBR Q0 mp3 encoding for decades now and I have never had any problems, either with encoding (ripping) or playback.

And maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but you should not burn any audio CD from either mp3 files or wma files unless that is your only option. You should use wav files, which is uncompressed audio from your CD or the original CD itself. Truth be told, I don't think there is any benefit switching from mp3 to wma for burning audio CDs. Both types of files would have to be uncompressed.

One last thing... if you burn mp3 files to a CD-R as mp3 files, most CD players these days will uncompress that during playback and play that music fine. No need to uncompress it to burn it as an audio CD.

Whenever I rip CD tracks to the computer, they are in .wma format, or at least they used to be.  I've used downloading services where the format is .mp3.  I would often make playlists that feature tracks in both formats, and they would burn just fine--would play in the car or on any system.  But lately it does not want to burn if .mps3 tracks are present.  

I don't ever recall using .wav files.

Does your car have the option to play music from a USB port? My current car and the 3 I had before this one all did. If your car has that option, just buy a cheap USB memory stick/thumbdrive and copy the .wma or .mp3 files onto that stick directly. No more burning required.

Again, I've rarely burned audio CDs from .mp3 files, so I don't know how the conversion is happening, but my guess is that whatever you are using to burn them now is not the same program you used to use. What program are you using to burn your CD-Rs? If you are using Windows Media Player, that might be restricting you to .wma files. If you can, try another burning tool and see if you can mix & match them again.