Jump to content

Milestones

Members
  • Posts

    2,120
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Milestones

  • Birthday 07/12/1960

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Ohio
  • Interests
    Jazz, science fiction, English studies

Contact Methods

Recent Profile Visitors

9,354 profile views

Milestones's Achievements

  1. Not sure if this is what you may be looking for, but Kenny Burrell does a lovely reading of this song (from late 50s, I believe). I am surprised that there aren't more versions of "I'll Close My Eyes." At least, I have heard very few.
  2. Speaking for myself, I rarely remember what I hear/see on YouTube. Maybe I don't watch it often enough.
  3. That's rather sad, since jazz artists have been well-documented, sometimes extremely-documented. We are still getting CDs from Miles (Bootleg series) and Coltrane (Both Directions at Once and many more); but If you are not a superstar (especially those no longer with us), it seems like you're in trouble.
  4. So there is still the question: why hasn't he had a record contract in quite some time?
  5. What about something like Mediterranean Concerto by John McLaughlin? Granted, he is not Mozart, but this appears to fully be a Classical piece. I think the same can be said for the piano concerto written and played by Chick Corea.
  6. Well, he was not young a the time of the Blue Note--about 47. But for most artists who are established at that age (and it seemed Ravi was), they usually find some labels willing to record them on a regular basis.
  7. A nice conversation, often entertaining--though not really offering new insights into John's music. It seems that Ravi disappeared as a leader after 2012, after that one record on Blue Note. Later there was a co-led album with DeJohnette and Matthew Garrison. Of course, he is appearing on stages in this centennial year. But he's had a low profile for quite some time.
  8. It's interesting that Dolly recorded some rock 'n roll many years before her rather odd Rock Star album--such as "House of the Rising Son" (I always think first of The Animals version) about 1980 and a nice acoustic version of "Stairway to Heaven" in 2002.
  9. I think most of us select one album for popularity and a different one for artistic worth. I would not even bother thinking about popularity. I find that Eurasia is a very good record, and so is the live album with Gerry Mulligan.
  10. Did the Red Sox make a deal with the devil? One has to wonder.
  11. My strong impression is that Art Blakey made more live records than ones in the studio.
  12. Wow. Yes, an awful lot of live albums and plenty of repetition. But I find many jewels among these performances.
  13. I'm pretty sure #6 is Jerry Gonzalez. We can all recognize Coltrane in a second, but it's still good to have him here--"Welcome" is a great, great composition and performance.
  14. I was into Pullen/Adams for a while. It was a good idea to put together a small group of (mostly) Mingus alumni, but they mainly played their own compositions--and that was fine. This performance is rather restrained for them. Definitely an under-recognized group.
  15. It is true that live jazz performances focus more on uptempo numbers, but it would have been great had Miles had played more ballads in concert--IMO, the best ballads player ever. But, as they say, there's always the original studio record.
×
×
  • Create New...