Sid Gribetz

sgcim

I think it's time that this fine WKCR jazz DJ got a thread of his own, after 40 years of his Sunday afternoon show "Profiles in Jazz" which centers on one artist for five hours. Ed Beech had a similar show on WRVR in its heyday, which lasted shorter, but was on five nights a week.

Gribetz, a Family Court Judge in the Bronx for over 20 years(!), always does a well researched show without the unrelenting verbal assault that is typical of another DJ at the station, yet still offers enough verbal information to clearly describe the artist's career. He offers a wide selection of artists that goes well beyond the usual ones that have been played to death, ensuring an interesting show every week. Today he is doing a show on George Wallington, and has brought in records from his incredible collection that illustrate every phase of GW's career.

By the end of one of his shows, you have been exposed to enough of the artist's output presented chronologically to fully appreciate that artists style.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't notice this post originally and actually have never heard Sid but I have interacted with him about my Percy France website and he kindly delivered his own remembrance of hearing Percy. You can see it here, the second one down.

https://www.percyfrance.info/others

It's funny you mention his background as a Judge, I had no idea and improvised a credit for him, which he approved by saying it was 110% accurate. :g

Sid promises that he will program a Percy France show sometime, once the KCR studios re-open. With the state of the Pandemic I would think that would be happening soon, with some mask/social distancing as needed. But who knows.  If he can mine the archives and find sets that were simulcast on KCR that would be awesome (if the tapes still function). My search for West End gigs that fell on a Friday show there were over a dozen such occasions.