Women vocal groups in the 1930s

Durium

Women vocal groups in the 1930s

McGuireSisters250.gif

What do the Boswell sisters, Andrew sisters, Keller sisters, Mac Dowell sisters, Trix sisters, Brox sisters, Williams sisters and Ponce sisters have in common? Sure, they are women vocal bands within a family relations. We know most of the members of these vocal groups, but I'm still searching for more information about the members of the Paul sisters. They made recordings for Durium, as you might know, but, who were these four ladies? Maybe someone has a picture of this quartet?

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Just curious - why do you have a picture of the McGuire Sisters, who were popular in the 1950s, in a thread on vocal groups of the 1930s?

They do look good, but ?

You're complete right. I could have posted three baby pictures, but ..................

boswell.jpg

What about these charming ladies? These (sisters ) are from the 1930s.

One of my favorite Boswell Sisters recording is one of their first: the 1925 Victor recording of Nights When I'm Alone . - it's so pure, so amateurish, so innocent, so sweet - don't you think so?

BTW: The PAUL Sisters happen to be the PAULL SISTERS. (Sorry I missed one letter )

Keep swinging

Durium

Just curious - why do you have a picture of the McGuire Sisters, who were popular in the 1950s, in a thread on vocal groups of the 1930s?

They do look good, but ?

You're complete right. I could have posted three baby pictures, but ..................

boswell.jpg

One of my favorite Boswell Sisters recording is one of their first: the 1925 Victor recording of Nights When I'm Alone . - it's so pure, so amateurish, so innocent, so sweet - don't you think so?

BTW: The PAUL Sisters happen to be the PAULL SISTERS. (Sorry I missed one letter )

Keep swinging

Durium

Durium, you would be hard pressed to find a bigger Boswell sisters fan than me! No better vocal group ever, IMHO. If you like the 1925 recording of Night's When I'm Lonely, I bet you would like the other side, which for some reason was left off the Storyville Chronological cds! I'm Gonna Cry(The Cryin' Blues) is a great little tune. I wish they had re-recorded it in the 30's, but what you gonna do? I love the line, "With all my persistence, you still keep your distance" Something about the way it rolls off of Connie's tongue.....sigh....Anyway, the only place I know of the track is the old ASV Boswell sisters cd.

If you want to see the sisters(No clips yet of them on the 1932 Big Broadcast) check out these at youtube.com.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boswell+sisters

Edited by BERIGAN

They do look good, but ?

boswell.jpg

Keep swinging

Durium

Durium, you would be hard pressed to find a bigger Boswell sisters fan than me! No better vocal group ever, IMHO. If you like the 1925 recording of Night's When I'm Lonely, I bet you would like the other side, which for some reason was left off the Storyville Chronological cds! I'm Gonna Cry(The Cryin' Blues) is a great little tune. I wish they had re-recorded it in the 30's, but what you gonna do? I love the line, "With all my persistence, you still keep your distance" Something about the way it rolls off of Connie's tongue.....sigh....Anyway, the only place I know of the track is the old ASV Boswell sisters cd.

If you want to see the sisters(No clips yet of them on the 1932 Big Broadcast) check out these at youtube.com.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boswell+sisters

OK, you two - or anyone else:

What's a good CD to start listening to the Boswell Sisters?

Paul, what LAL said. An excellent cd to start with. If you could ever find the long out of print Pro-Arte cd Everybody Loves my Baby, it's a very good best of cd as well. Well, a quick check of Amazon shows both cds are out of print it appears,(As are all the storyville cds! :( ) but available used.....the Newer ASV is still in print if you only like new cds, and it has very good tracks as well.