BFT #76

Guest Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

1.Tom Varner – "The Trilling Clouds" (Varner) – Heaven and Hell – Omni Tone (2009)

Tom Varner, French horn • Russ Johnson, trumpet • Chris Stover, trombone • Jesse Canterbury, clarinet •

Saul Cline,soprano saxophone • Mark Taylor, alto saxophone •

Eric Barber,tenor saxophone • Jim DeJoie, baritone saxophone • Phil Sparks, bass • Byron Vannoy, drums

Some of Seattle's finest musicians in this group... I forwarded the link to this BFT to Tom and he was amused that Kenton's name came up. :lol:

2.Dave Holland Octet – "Ebb and Flow" (Holland) – Pathways – Dare2 (2010)

Antonio Hart (Alto Sax and Flute), Chris Potter (*Tenor Sax and Soprano Sax), Gary Smulyan (Baritone Sax), Alex "Sasha" Sipiagin (Trumpet & Flugelhorn), Robin Eubanks (Trombone), Steve Nelson (Vibraphone and Marimba), Dave Holland (bass), Nate Smith (drums) Live at Birdland NYC January 7-11, 2009

3.Charles Tolliver Big Band – "I Want to Talk About You" (Eckstine) – Emperor March: Live at the Blue Note – Half Note (2009) Billy Harper-tenor saxophone soloist

4.Fred Ho and the Green Monster Big Band – "Liberation Genesis" (Ho) – Celestial Green Monster – Big Red Media (2009) Fred Ho-baritone saxophone; Hafez Modirzadeh-tenor saxophone; Stanton Davis-trumpet, featured soloists

This is a wild and woolly CD with "covers" of the "Spiderman Theme" and "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (with guest Mary Halvorson absolutely killin' on guitar) in addition to Ho's The Struggle for a New World Suite.

5.Stan Getz with The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band – "Symptones" (Boland) – Change of Scenes – Verve (June 14, 1971) Getz, tenor saxophone; Clarke, drums; Herb Geller, English horn; Sahib Shihab, baritone saxophone; Stan Sulzmann, soprano saxophone; Boland, electric piano

6.Satoko Fujii Orchestra NY – "Water" (Fujii) – Undulation – Polystar (2005) Natsuki Tamura & Steven Bernstein, trumpets, featured soloists.

This is one of my favorites among Satoko's large ensemble recordings. The woman is so amazingly prolific I swear that she and Natsuki never sleep...

7.Anthony Brown's Asian American Orchestra – "Pannonica" (Monk) – Monk's Moods: Music of Thelonious Monk – Water Baby Records (2002) Yang Qin Zhao, Chinese dulcimer; Steve Lacy, soprano saxophone

(Mark Izu - bass; Anthony Brown - drums)

Brown's website credits Yang Qin Zhao's instrument as Chinese hammered dulcimer (yangqin).

8.Abdullah Ibrahim & NDR Big Band Cologne – "District Six (Trance Circle Dance)" (Ibrahim) – Bombella – Intuition/Sunnyside (2010) Soloists are not credited in the liners. Trumpet section: Andy Haderer, Wim Both, Rob Bruynen, John Marshall, Klaus Osterlich. Trombone section: Ludwig Nuss, Dave Horler, Bernt Laukamp. Steve Gray, conductor & arranger.

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

No wonder I could not guess these. I see that Natsuki Tamura & Steven Bernstein are the trumpeters on Track 6. Which one plays with the growling sound which I enjoyed so much?

Thanks for Blindfold Test which expanded my knowledge and horizons!

I'm not absolutely sure, but my guess - and it's only a guess - is that the growl work is Bernstein. Tell you what, I'll e-mail Satoko and ask her. Stay tuned...

Well, I was totally wrong. Guess I just flunked my own BFT. :crazy: Here's what she said in the e-mail reply:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for using the track for the blindfold test. The "growl" work is by Natsuki, Steven plays beautiful lines and more quiet.

Very best from boiling Tokyo,

Satoko

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

All names familiar to me, but it is sort of embarrasing I did not hear Fujii. - I own that recording.

I know the feeling... When you have as many recordings in your collection as you or I or most denizens of the Big O do it can be overwhelming. Might have been easier to place her if she had soloed. I'm not so sure I could identify some of her compositions in a BFT and I have a lot of her recordings.

Guest Bill Barton

Great stuff, Bill. I've got to get that Varner...

Tom says to get it directly from Omni Tone (or Amazon if you prefer.) I'm glad that you enjoyed it and the BFT in general.

No wonder I could not guess these. I see that Natsuki Tamura & Steven Bernstein are the trumpeters on Track 6. Which one plays with the growling sound which I enjoyed so much?

Thanks for Blindfold Test which expanded my knowledge and horizons!

I'm not absolutely sure, but my guess - and it's only a guess - is that the growl work is Bernstein. Tell you what, I'll e-mail Satoko and ask her. Stay tuned...

Well, I was totally wrong. Guess I just flunked my own BFT. :crazy: Here's what she said in the e-mail reply:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for using the track for the blindfold test. The "growl" work is by Natsuki, Steven plays beautiful lines and more quiet.

Very best from boiling Tokyo,

Satoko

Thanks for finding that out for us!