Walt Weiskopf

Tom 1960

I've been checking out some of his releases recently and really enjoying what I'm hearing. I've come across some positive comments on Weiskopf in separate threads but no single thread dedicated to him. So let's hear from you. What do you guys think of Walt Weiskopf?

I own a few recordings on which he is a sideman (I'll look them up when I get home). I've also been out to NYC for a masterclass that he put on. He is a fantastic musician (all woodwinds), and also teacher. I also own a few saxophone study books he has published.

Very HEAVY Cat.

I'm a fan. Walt was just here at FSU as a guest last year and is a great teacher as well as a great player. Big sound, lots of vocabulary and assertive rhythmic groove. He has a brother Joel (pianist) who is also a great musician.

You must be going through some Criss Cross titles, Tom!

I had some downtime today(off from work) and purchased a couple used copies on the cheap. The titles being "Siren" and "Sleepness Nights".

Generally, I like Walt's playing and writing, though sometimes he comes across to me as a more contemporary Eric Alexander, which is to say a lick player with tons of vocabulary who sounds like, well, a lick player with tons of vocabulary. But there's a creative spark to his best stuff. His composing/arranging elevates him beyond many similar players. In particular, try these two on Criss Cross: "World Away" (Goldings/Bernstein/Stewart) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KORQAG/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk1 and "Siren" with a nonet http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KORQAG/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk1

Also worth noting: I bought his book "Around the Horn" some 10 years ago when I was re-investigating my alto for a minute and found it a tremendously valuable book of scales/arpeggio studies that takes you through all the modes of the major, melodic minor and harmonic minor scales. Really expanded my ears and knowledge, and If I ever get back to the horn, I know I'll return to that book.

Edited by Mark Stryker

I've heard some of his new, live recording It sounds very good:\

cd_waltwlive.jpg

Walt Weiskopf - Tenor Saxophone

Renee Rosnes - Piano

Paul Gill - Bass

Tony Reedus - Drums

I have this very nice session too:

cd_anytown.gif

Anytown

Walt Weiskopf - Tenor Sax

Joe Locke - Vibraphone

Renee Rosnes - Piano

Doug Weiss - Bass

Tony Reedus - Drums

Criss Cross Jazz

I'm a fan, almost without reservation. Yes, WW does have an intervallic "system," but it seems to consistently inspire him, especially rhythmically, which one wouldn't necessarily expect. I would never think of WW as being related Eric Alexander, other than that they play the same instrument.

I'm a fan, almost without reservation. Yes, WW does have an intervallic "system," but it seems to consistently inspire him, especially rhythmically, which one wouldn't necessarily expect. I would never think of WW as being related Eric Alexander, other than that they play the same instrument.

I think Larry's right that it's Weiskopf's rhythmic variety that animates his creativity and prevents him from falling into the overly determined kind of playing that makes "system" or "lick" players a bore. Also, he knows a shit-load of harmony and that can be rewarding on its own score too, though sometimes, as I said, I start hearing "harmony" rather than "melody." But to clarify: I'm a fan and consider Weiskopf as talent deserving wider recognition.

Edited by Mark Stryker