BFT 95 Discussion

Hardbopjazz

Let the discussions begin. Most of the tracks are well known standards. So people should not have that much problems identifying them. I'm more interested in identifying the musicians. For the tracks with big bands, I don't expect someone to know who the third trumpet player is, just who are the soloists. Hope you all enjoy.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

#7: George Coleman and Harold Mabern playing Everytime We Say Goodbye.

#9: Junior Cook playing one of his favorite ballads, "When Sonny Gets Blue." Don't know who the rhythm section is but it sounds like the time period when I was working with him - 1980s. It's not me - it better not be.

#10: Tenor player sounds like Rich Perry, but he's pretty restrained for Rich.

#11: No one plays more like Lucky Thompson than Lucky Thompson so it's gotta be Lucky, right? But some of what he plays here is a little suspect. This is probably with a European big band, mid 1960s?

Edited by Michael Weiss

View PostMichael Weiss, on 01 February 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

#7: George Coleman and Harold Mabern playing Everytime We Say Goodbye.

You are correct. These two are wonderful together.

#9: Junior Cook playing one of his favorite ballads, "When Sonny Gets Blue." Don't know who the rhythm section is but it sounds like the time period when I was working with him - 1980s. It's not me - it better not be.

Correct again. Damn it!. No that isn't you.

#10: Tenor player sounds like Rich Perry, but he's pretty restrained for Rich.

Man you are batting 1,000. I thought this didn't sound like Richard Perry at all; like you said "pretty restrained. on this recording for Rich." Any ideas who is on piano?

#11: No one plays more like Lucky Thompson than Lucky Thompson so it's gotta be Lucky, right? But some of what he plays here is a little suspect. This is probably with a European big band, mid 1960s?

Give this guy a cigar. He is 4 for 4.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

1. I believe this is the band Roots. The alto solo is Arthur Blythe and I am guessing that the tenor solo is by Chico Freeman (hey, it could be Nathan Davis but I’m guessing Freeman). The piano I think is Don Pullen although the solo doesn’t go all the way there the way I expect most Pullen solos to go. I really like this band and this version of St. Thomas.

2. If there is any musician I like to think I can pick out its George Adams. I’d say given the background that this is George with the Gil Evans orchestra. The feeling I got from this was “Whoa, there’s got to be more than that”. So, is there?

3. Well I started out so strong and now I am back to squinting and shrugging. I have no idea who this is. I like the performance and the tenor sounds like an older musician who also kept abreast of developments so I’d guess maybe Frank Foster.

4. More confusion for me. I am thinking the tenor soloist is Lockjaw Davis.

5. Totally clueless although I liked it.

6. The alto solo is maybe by Sonny Criss.

7. Once again, no idea. This is why I like to listen to people’s BFT’s but don’t usually put on a public display of ignorance. I dug the soprano solo, I thought the piano solo was a little corny.

8. I didn’t really care for this. Can’t really come up with an intelligent guess. Probably would have enjoyed more had I been there when they played it.

9. I feel like I should be able to id the tune and the tenor, but I can’t. I was really struck by how the tenor held a single note for a long time at a couple of points. Overall I liked this. If I had to guess I’d say the piano reminded me of Tommy Flanagan.

10. I liked the sparse approach to the piano which still had, to me, great feeling. I am thinking this is someone more contemporary. The sax sounded like Chris Cheek to me.

I burned these tracks to a disc and listened while driving around the past couple of days. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ll get to the rest over the weekend.

1. I believe this is the band Roots. The alto solo is Arthur Blythe and I am guessing that the tenor solo is by Chico Freeman (hey, it could be Nathan Davis but I’m guessing Freeman). The piano I think is Don Pullen although the solo doesn’t go all the way there the way I expect most Pullen solos to go. I really like this band and this version of St. Thomas. Yes this is Roots. I love this band as well. The arrangement is by Davis.

2. If there is any musician I like to think I can pick out its George Adams. I’d say given the background that this is George with the Gil Evans orchestra. The feeling I got from this was “Whoa, there’s got to be more than that”. So, is there? This is George Adams but not with the Gil Evans Orchestra. The band goes right into the next number. That lasts a good 12 minutes.

3. Well I started out so strong and now I am back to squinting and shrugging. I have no idea who this is. I like the performance and the tenor sounds like an older musician who also kept abreast of developments so I’d guess maybe Frank Foster. No it is not Frank Foster.

4. More confusion for me. I am thinking the tenor soloist is Lockjaw Davis. No this isn't Lockjaw.

5. Totally clueless although I liked it. I was going to leave this off because I thought it was too easy.But then again, I don't think anyone will guess who is on vocals.

6. The alto solo is maybe by Sonny Criss. No, but a good guess. It does kind of sound like Criss

7. Once again, no idea. This is why I like to listen to people’s BFT’s but don’t usually put on a public display of ignorance. I dug the soprano solo, I thought the piano solo was a little corny. Michael Weiss got this one. It is Geoge Coleman Harold Mabern

8. I didn’t really care for this. Can’t really come up with an intelligent guess. Probably would have enjoyed more had I been there when they played it. :shrug[1]:

9. I feel like I should be able to id the tune and the tenor, but I can’t. I was really struck by how the tenor held a single note for a long time at a couple of points. Overall I liked this. If I had to guess I’d say the piano reminded me of Tommy Flanagan. This one too was guessed by Michael Weiss.

10. I liked the sparse approach to the piano which still had, to me, great feeling. I am thinking this is someone more contemporary. The sax sounded like Chris Cheek to me.

I burned these tracks to a disc and listened while driving around the past couple of days. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ll get to the rest over the weekend.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

#4 "Robbins Nest" by, and featuring, Sir Charles Thompson, plus Buck Clayton (probably the leader), Buddy Tate, Dicky Wells (or Vic Dickenson)- probably Emmett Berry, too.

Live recording, probably on one of their European tours. Saw them in Bradford, UK in 1958!

#4 "Robbins Nest" by, and featuring, Sir Charles Thompson, plus Buck Clayton (probably the leader), Buddy Tate, Dicky Wells (or Vic Dickenson)- probably Emmett Berry, too.

Live recording, probably on one of their European tours. Saw them in Bradford, UK in 1958!

You are right. The tune is called "Robbins Nest." It is Clayton, Tate, Wells, Berry and Thompson. I didn't count on someone having seen this band back in the day.

#2 The tune is Mingus's "Self Portrait in Three Colors", so is this a Mingus band? (George Adams already identified.)

This band is playing Mingus' compositions but Mingus isn't in this band. More later. It's one of his work shop bands. Besides George Adams, any idea who is on trumpet and piano?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Originally the BFT was going to be all piano solo tracks. I do that maybe for the next time.

#15 Beautiful Bud Powell-influenced bop pianist playing "Cherokee". Tete Montoliu?

No this isn't Tete.

This one someone will get. :w

#13 Amazing how it manages to combine "A Child Is Born" with "Oleo"! Sounds a bit like Michel Petrucciani, but probably isn't!

Correct, it isn't Petrucciani. This is someone well known.

#6 Stitt for sure. But from where?

Mike, you need to give a handicap. You're way too good at this. :D Yes it is Stitt playing with a real great band on the island of Kyushu, which is part of Japan.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Interesting stuff!

1. I recognize Arthur Blythe, Chico Freeman (I think), and Don Pullen, so I’m assuming that this is the Roots saxophone ensemble. I can’t remember who the drummer is, but the opening solo is very creative; somebody’s got a strong left foot. Blythe is off-center enough to grab me right away, and Chico Freeman (if that’s indeed him) is more interesting than usual. I like my Pullen a little wilder, but this is good – I like it.

2. “Self-Portrait in Three Colors” by, I guess, the Mingus Big Band. Covington, Georgia’s own George Adams is the tenor soloist. Nice, if short and not very well-recorded.

3. I have a feeling that I’m going to kick myself for not identifying the saxophonist who is having such a wonderful autumn in New York. Really nice!

4. “Robbin’s Nest” by… well, I don’t know. I would guess that this is a Jazz at the Philharmonic recording, except that it’s too laid back. The first trumpet soloist sounds like Roy Eldridge in a restrained mood. Is that Dicky Wells on trombone? Anyway, I like the fact that nobody is overplaying or trying too hard, just swinging nicely.

5. I’ve got no idea – I’m not much of an expert on Latin jazz, but this sure is good. The vocalist is the opposite of slick – just straightforwardly honest. Who is the hot tenor sax soloist? He’s really excellent.

6. That’s some saxophone playing! It sounds like Mr. Stitt, playing “Stardust,” of course. Too bad your wire recorder was so noisy. :) This was a blast.

7. I so strongly associate “Every Time We Say Goodbye” with a certain other saxophonist who played it on soprano that I was prejudiced against this. But the playing won me over – this is good. Once again, I feel that I should know who this saxophonist is, but I can’t quite put my finger on who it might be. The piano solo is much less enchanting – I don’t like the first half at all, although the player settles down some after that.

After listening to the coda: Ouch! I guess I’ll have to forgive the saxophonist for throwing in that quote from “Mexican Hat Dance,” but I hate silly stuff like that in otherwise serious performances.

8. Nice enough. I’d enjoy this in a club or a party, but have no need to hear it as preserved for all time. The saxophonist reminds me of the British New Orleans revivalist Sammy Rimmington.

9. “When Sunny Gets Blue” – a ballad that’s different enough to be interesting. That’s a hard-toned tenor player (a description, not a criticism). He’s good, but the long-held notes seem kind of gimmicky. (I hope I didn’t just diss someone I admire.) I like the piano solo. I’m not sure that the dissonance at the beginning of the last eight bars of the piano solo was intentional, but he/she made it work. Is that Ron Carter on bass? And sigh… more silly quoting by the tenor player. Again, not bad, but not something I’d have to hear a bunch.

10. This is lovely. I can’t quite place the tune, but it doesn’t sound like a “standard” as we usually think of it. Is this a more a recent pop song, or maybe a folk song? The pianist made me think of Renee Rosnes, for some reason, but I don’t really have a clue who anyone is. I like the tenor player’s unusual, hollow sound.

11. Once again, I don’t who is meeting Miss Jones here. It’s good enough that I would have liked to have heard more – it’s surprisingly short.

12. Well, I don’t know this recording at all, but that sure sounds like Dexter Gordon on the tenor solo, even down to his not being quite in sync with the forward-pushing drummer. This is good all the way through, and I’m wondering why I don’t know this record.

I’m a firm believer that a BFT test should be no longer than one CD’s length, so I’m going to stop there. I enjoyed listening, and I’m looking forward to finding out more about these tracks.

Well, I see that Mr. Weiss stole everyone's thunder on this one. I should have recognized Lucky Thompson, at least! And I don't feel too bad about describing Emmett Berry as a restrained Roy Eldridge - that's a pretty good description of his style.

And I never would have guess Harold Mabern on #7. I like Harold Mabern, but I didn't like that solo. Maybe I'll give it another listen.

Interesting stuff!

1. I recognize Arthur Blythe, Chico Freeman (I think), and Don Pullen, so I’m assuming that this is the Roots saxophone ensemble. I can’t remember who the drummer is, but the opening solo is very creative; somebody’s got a strong left foot. Blythe is off-center enough to grab me right away, and Chico Freeman (if that’s indeed him) is more interesting than usual. I like my Pullen a little wilder, but this is good – I like it.

2. “Self-Portrait in Three Colors” by, I guess, the Mingus Big Band. Covington, Georgia’s own George Adams is the tenor soloist. Nice, if short and not very well-recorded.

3. I have a feeling that I’m going to kick myself for not identifying the saxophonist who is having such a wonderful autumn in New York. Really nice!

This is a well known person. I thought this would be figured out by now.

4. “Robbin’s Nest” by… well, I don’t know. I would guess that this is a Jazz at the Philharmonic recording, except that it’s too laid back. The first trumpet soloist sounds like Roy Eldridge in a restrained mood. Is that Dicky Wells on trombone? Anyway, I like the fact that nobody is overplaying or trying too hard, just swinging nicely.

5. I’ve got no idea – I’m not much of an expert on Latin jazz, but this sure is good. The vocalist is the opposite of slick – just straightforwardly honest. Who is the hot tenor sax soloist? He’s really excellent.

6. That’s some saxophone playing! It sounds like Mr. Stitt, playing “Stardust,” of course. Too bad your wire recorder was so noisy. :) This was a blast.

Yes this is a great recording of Stitt.

7. I so strongly associate “Every Time We Say Goodbye” with a certain other saxophonist who played it on soprano that I was prejudiced against this. But the playing won me over – this is good. Once again, I feel that I should know who this saxophonist is, but I can’t quite put my finger on who it might be. The piano solo is much less enchanting – I don’t like the first half at all, although the player settles down some after that.

After listening to the coda: Ouch! I guess I’ll have to forgive the saxophonist for throwing in that quote from “Mexican Hat Dance,” but I hate silly stuff like that in otherwise serious performances.

8. Nice enough. I’d enjoy this in a club or a party, but have no need to hear it as preserved for all time. The saxophonist reminds me of the British New Orleans revivalist Sammy Rimmington.

This one I doubr anyone will get.

9. “When Sunny Gets Blue” – a ballad that’s different enough to be interesting. That’s a hard-toned tenor player (a description, not a criticism). He’s good, but the long-held notes seem kind of gimmicky. (I hope I didn’t just diss someone I admire.) I like the piano solo. I’m not sure that the dissonance at the beginning of the last eight bars of the piano solo was intentional, but he/she made it work. Is that Ron Carter on bass? And sigh… more silly quoting by the tenor player. Again, not bad, but not something I’d have to hear a bunch.

10. This is lovely. I can’t quite place the tune, but it doesn’t sound like a “standard” as we usually think of it. Is this a more a recent pop song, or maybe a folk song? The pianist made me think of Renee Rosnes, for some reason, but I don’t really have a clue who anyone is. I like the tenor player’s unusual, hollow sound. Yes it is Rosnes and her band

11. Once again, I don’t who is meeting Miss Jones here. It’s good enough that I would have liked to have heard more – it’s surprisingly short.

12. Well, I don’t know this recording at all, but that sure sounds like Dexter Gordon on the tenor solo, even down to his not being quite in sync with the forward-pushing drummer. This is good all the way through, and I’m wondering why I don’t know this record.

I’m a firm believer that a BFT test should be no longer than one CD’s length, so I’m going to stop there. I enjoyed listening, and I’m looking forward to finding out more about these tracks.

Fair enough. The remainder of tracks are piano solos, which no one so far has guessed correctly.

1 Nice drum solo, never loses momentum. Interesting arrangement of "St. Thomas." The alto can't be anybody but Arthur Blythe. I'll guess Chico Freeman on tenor.

2 It's a Mingus tune, isn't it? And that's simply got to be George Adams. A fairly large ensemble back there. Probably a soundboard tape from an outdoor gig by a Mingus Dynasty band.

3 I should probably recognize the tenor player on "Autumn in New York," and I'll probably kick myself when I see the answer. Maybe a curveball, like Houston Person or Tony Coe? Great arrangement, beautifully played.

4 "Robbins' Nest." For a minute I thought it would be Illinois Jacquet, but the tenor sounds more like Buddy Tate. Perhaps the first trumpet is Buck Clayton. And the piano perhaps Sir Charles Thompson, who wrote the tune. Buck and Sir Charles together would be the Parsons, Kansas, Jazz Summit.

5 It's "Chega do Saudade" aka "No More Blues." I can't recognize the singer -- I'm doing well to recognize the tune. I'm guessing she's fronting an American band?

6 So is it Bird or Sonny Stitt on Stardust? I say Stitt, and become more convinced of it in every bar.

7 Beautifully controlled soprano on "Every Time We Say Goodbye." Good thing the piano accompaniment is low in the mix, because he's just playing too much -- even throws the soloist in a couple of spots. The piano solo is likewise over-enthusiastic. I've probably just dissed somebody whose playing I usually love.

8 At first I thought it was Mary Stallings, but after a minute I'm thinking it's somebody else. The alto is uneasily perched between Bird and Benny Carter. Fun.

9 "When Sunny Gets Blue." Just about every BFT I find myself guessing "Junior Cook." The full, beautiful, stinging high notes on the tenor here make me want to guess it again.

10 I should probably recognize the tune, which might be some relatively recent pop song ('80s or thereafter). It's nice, but I wish it was less "nice." The tenor shows some backbone and is worth waiting for. I find myself wanting to guess Joshua Redman and Brad Mehldau.

11 A fun track, one of my favorite things on the BFT, and not because it's short. It's "Have You Met Miss Jones" with an interesting soprano soloist. I'll guess it's somebody not usually associated with the soprano, maybe Zoot Sims.

12 I'm catching a West Coast studio vibe. At first I thought Buddy Rich, but later I'm thinking somebody like Jake Hanna on drums. Really good trombone solo. Not my usual thing, but a strong track throughout.

13 This started out to be a decent "A Child Is Born," but lost me when it went into "Oleo" for no good reason, and the transition back to "Child" doesn't heal the damage. It's notey and doesn't do a thing for me, sorry.

14 This heals the damage. Sweet!

15 Slow "Cherokee" changes, I think, though they're imaginatively disguised on the bridge. Then faster. Pretty darned nice, but the first chorus is the best part.

16 "These Foolish Things," with a hint of a woman's voice singing along. Then the sudden switch into "Tea for Two." The aggressive virtuosity, the lightning quotes and the sheer endurance say it's got to be Dorothy Donegan. One of the most fascinating human beings I ever encountered. The first time I heard her music I

really disliked it. After more familiarity, I became a huge fan. I love this.

17 Everybody knew it was going to be "Willow Weep for Me" before he even got to the theme, right? That isn't Jay McShann in a subdued mood, is it?

18 "In a Sentimental Mood," a fairly standard-issue performance until you get to the remarkable coda. No guess, but I want to know the answer.

My ears are tickled, HBJ! Thank you!

1 Nice drum solo, never loses momentum. Interesting arrangement of "St. Thomas." The alto can't be anybody but Arthur Blythe. I'll guess Chico Freeman on tenor.

This was figured out already as being Roots.

2 It's a Mingus tune, isn't it? And that's simply got to be George Adams. A fairly large ensemble back there. Probably a soundboard tape from an outdoor gig by a Mingus Dynasty band. Mingus isn't on this recording, but it is full Migus band members

3 I should probably recognize the tenor player on "Autumn in New York," and I'll probably kick myself when I see the answer. Maybe a curveball, like Houston Person or Tony Coe? Great arrangement, beautifully played. This one is open and I don't know why it hasn't been guessed.

4 "Robbins' Nest." For a minute I thought it would be Illinois Jacquet, but the tenor sounds more like Buddy Tate. Perhaps the first trumpet is Buck Clayton. And the piano perhaps Sir Charles Thompson, who wrote the tune. Buck and Sir Charles together would be the Parsons, Kansas, Jazz Summit. Bill got this one right

5 It's "Chega do Saudade" aka "No More Blues." I can't recognize the singer -- I'm doing well to recognize the tune. I'm guessing she's fronting an American band?

6 So is it Bird or Sonny Stitt on Stardust? I say Stitt, and become more convinced of it in every bar. Mr. Weiss got this one.

7 Beautifully controlled soprano on "Every Time We Say Goodbye." Good thing the piano accompaniment is low in the mix, because he's just playing too much -- even throws the soloist in a couple of spots. The piano solo is likewise over-enthusiastic. I've probably just dissed somebody whose playing I usually love. Also guessed by Michael Weiss

8 At first I thought it was Mary Stallings, but after a minute I'm thinking it's somebody else. The alto is uneasily perched between Bird and Benny Carter. Fun.

ANother one I don't will be figured out.

9 "When Sunny Gets Blue." Just about every BFT I find myself guessing "Junior Cook." The full, beautiful, stinging high notes on the tenor here make me want to guess it again. Yup, this is Cook. No one has guessed the piano player yet.

10 I should probably recognize the tune, which might be some relatively recent pop song ('80s or thereafter). It's nice, but I wish it was less "nice." The tenor shows some backbone and is worth waiting for. I find myself wanting to guess Joshua Redman and Brad Mehldau. Jeff and Mike got this one.

11 A fun track, one of my favorite things on the BFT, and not because it's short. It's "Have You Met Miss Jones" with an interesting soprano soloist. I'll guess it's somebody not usually associated with the soprano, maybe Zoot Sims. This too Michael Weiss got. It is Lucky Thompson

12 I'm catching a West Coast studio vibe. At first I thought Buddy Rich, but later I'm thinking somebody like Jake Hanna on drums. Really good trombone solo. Not my usual thing, but a strong track throughout. Michael Weiss was on a good clip and he ID the soloists. Slide Hampton, Dexter Gordon and Idress Sulieman

13 This started out to be a decent "A Child Is Born," but lost me when it went into "Oleo" for no good reason, and the transition back to "Child" doesn't heal the damage. It's notey and doesn't do a thing for me, sorry. Juxtaposing these two tunes is differently an odd paring. I thought this would be guessed by now.

14 This heals the damage. Sweet! Another one that remains not solved

15 Slow "Cherokee" changes, I think, though they're imaginatively disguised on the bridge. Then faster. Pretty darned nice, but the first chorus is the best part.

Yes I like this very much my self. No one has gotten this one yet

16 "These Foolish Things," with a hint of a woman's voice singing along. Then the sudden switch into "Tea for Two." The aggressive virtuosity, the lightning quotes and the sheer endurance say it's got to be Dorothy Donegan. One of the most fascinating human beings I ever encountered. The first time I heard her music I

really disliked it. After more familiarity, I became a huge fan. I love this. Bingo you guess it.

17 Everybody knew it was going to be "Willow Weep for Me" before he even got to the theme, right? That isn't Jay McShann in a subdued mood, is it?

No it's not McShann. I;ll give this hint, he is playing piano on #8 as well.

18 "In a Sentimental Mood," a fairly standard-issue performance until you get to the remarkable coda. No guess, but I want to know the answer.

Here's a hint, one of the most humble jazz musicians ever

My ears are tickled, HBJ! Thank you!