BFT #102 reveal

BillF

Track 1

5078394.jpg

"Line D" (Moore)

Moore (tnr), Benny Green (pno), Peter Washington (bs), Kenny Washington (dms)

Recorded 1990

Great tenor playing from British-born (not many people know that!) Moore, who seems now to have disappeared from the scene. Kenny Washington on drums, another favourite of mine.

Edited by BillF

Track 2

2c0b3d7056a2dd76e3db33cfd53e2dfa.jpg

"Just Friends" (Klenner, Lewis, arr. Holman)

Holman (leader, arr, tnr), Lanny Morgan, Bob Militello (alts), Bob Cooper, Dick Mitchell (tnrs), Bob Efford (bar), Carl Sanders, Frank Szabo, Don Rader, Bob Summer (tpts), Jack Redmond, Bob Enevoldsen, Rick Culver, Pete Beltran (tbns), Rich Eames (pno), Bruce Lett (bs), Jeff Hamilton (dms)

Recorded Hollywood, Nov-Dec 1987

Saw this outfit at the Wigan Jazz Festival

Edited by BillF

Track 5

61W8DDJ8U5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Whatever Possess'd Me" (Tadd Dameron)

Joe Lovano (tnr, soloist), Steve Slagle (alt), George Garzone (tnr), Ralph Lalama (tnr), Gary Smulyan (bar), Tim Hagans (tpt), Conrad Herwig (tbn), John Hicks (pno), Dennis Irwin (bs), Lewis Nash (dms)

Recorded Nov 1999

Track 7

51EcFluSCJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Elvin's Empire" (Fedchock) featuring Allen Farnham (pno), Fedchock (tbn), Rick Margitza (tnr), Dave Ratajczak (dms)

Fedchock (leader, arr, tbn), Mark Vinci (alt), Charles Pillow (alt, sop, bs clt), Rich Perry (tnr), Gary Smulyan (bar), Tony Kadleck, Craig Johnson, Scott Wendholt, Barry Ries (tpts, flugel), Keith O'Quinn, George Gilkes, George Flynn (tbns), Allen Farnham (pno), Lynn Seaton (bs), Dave Ratajczak (dms)

"I tried to write something reminiscent of Elvin's sound with Coltrane's classic quartet" (John Fedchock)

Recorded NYC, Sept-Oct 2006

Edited by BillF

Track 10

51r8XkGYadL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Less Talk" (Ray Santisi) featuring Joe Gordon (tpt)

Herb Pomeroy, Lennie Johnson, Augie Feretti, Everett Longstreth, Joe Gordon (tpts), Joe Ciavardone, Bill Legan, Gene Di Stasio (tbns), Dave Chapman, Boots Mussulli (alts), Varty Haroutunian, Jaki Byard (tnrs), Dean Haskins (bar), Ray Santisi (pno), John Neves (bs), Jimmy Zitano (dms)

Recorded NYC, June 1957

Track 11

FSR2205.jpg

"Sam Metrically" (Childers)

Childers (tpt), Herbie Steward (tnr), Bob harrington (pno), Harry Babasin (bs), Milt Holland (dms)

Recorded Hollywood, Nov-Dec 1955

From a small group session led by Buddy Childers, best known as lead trumpet with the Kenton orchestra. Includes Herbie Steward, perhaps the least often heard of the Four Brothers.

Track 13

1035748.jpg

"Strike Up the Band" (Gershwin) featuring Al Cohn (tnr) and the recently departed Eddie Bert (tbn)

Elliot Lawrence (leader, pno), Bernie Glow, Stan Fishelson, Al Derisi, Nick Travis, Dick Sherman (tpts), Eddie Bert, Ollie Wilson, Paul Seldon, Al Robertson (tbns), Freddy Schmitt, Tony Miranda (Frhns), Al Cohn, Hal McKusick, Sam Morowitz, Eddie Wasserman, Charlie O'Kane (saxes), Buddy Jones or Russ Saunders (bs), Don Lamond (dms)

Recorded NYC, July 1955

Don Lamond really boots this one along.

Track 14

190689508227.jpg

"All the Things You Are" (Hammerstein, Kern)

Howard Rumsey (leader, bass), Shorty Rogers (tpt), Hampton Hawes(pno), Shelly Manne (dms)

Recorded The Lighthouse, Hermosa Beach, CA, 1953

Surprised that big names like Rogers and Hawes weren't identified!

Track 1

5078394.jpg

"Line D" (Moore)

Recorded 1990

Great tenor playing from British-born (not many people know that!) Moore, who seems now to have disappeared from the scene. Kenny Washington on drums, another favourite of mine.

Is that what the well-dressed jazzman was wearing in 1990? Looks more like the late forties.

MG

This was a most enjoyable BFT. Thanks for the care with which you chose the selections.

What Ptah said!!!!

I borrowed that Lighthouse disc from a friend sometime back with the intention of getting my own copy. Needless to say, that hasn't happened yet, but will soon (I hope)!

Track 1

5078394.jpg

"Line D" (Moore)

Recorded 1990

Is that what the well-dressed jazzman was wearing in 1990? Looks more like the late forties.

MG

Actually, they were hand-me-downs from Cab Calloway. <_<

MI0001335257.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I'm only embarrassed about the Herb Pomeroy selection - I've got the original vinyl and didn't recognize it.

I don't feel bad about the last track, because that still doesn't sound like Hampton Hawes to me. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you're lying to us all about that. :)

Thanks for a good one - it made me think.

I don't feel bad about the last track, because that still doesn't sound like Hampton Hawes to me. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you're lying to us all about that. :)

I'll come clean. It was me at the age of 13 playing in the school band. :w