BFT 118 discussion

Spontooneous

Here begins the discussion of BFT 118.

It started out to have a theme, but veered away. Then it almost had a second theme, but veered away from that one, too. Vestiges of both themes remain, but don't feel bad if you don't pick them up.

The fine print, and a little clue:

All recordings are commercially released.

Levels were adjusted, because they were all over the place.

Some applause and the leader's voice were removed from the end of one live track. No other editing was performed.

One soloist is heard on two of these tunes. That was a happy accident.

Any questions that remain should be answered by this simple diagram. Enjoy.

svd-strongly-bw.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a little bit of a head start so I'll chime in to get things rolling. It ain't much, but from a quick listen through:
1). Sounds like Walter Davis, Jr. I know I've heard this tune before but don't remember the name of it. Is that also a young Kenny Washington?

3). The first tenor solo sounds like Frank Wess. Can't ID anyone else.

4). I have no idea who this is. I like the composition, not the bass solo. Wish the pianist played a little more.

7). Jacquet playing Body and Soul on bassoon.

8). Sounds Keith Jarrett-ish. Is that him?

Sorry, that's all I got.

1 – I believe I have this, but am not placing it. Pianist has been influenced harmonically by Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett, but it’s not either of them.

2 – background music to me, but OK for that.

3 – Love this, right down to the poor recording quality. Especially like the tenor. Hope I have this somewhere, and if I do, look forward to pulling out the entire album. Really up my alley, this is by far my favorite on the BFT. I’m thinking Savoy label for whatever reason, maybe the recording ambience. 50’s Yusef Lateef maybe?

4 – I have some of of this sort of thing (I call it the Paul Bley syndrome), and have no problem listening to it, but seldom would pull it off the shelf unless I had to listen to something while working at 3:00 AM (which happens at times).

5 – Nice groove, but do not like that tenor solo. I know this, am not placing it. Probably have it. Have a lot of this sort of thing.

6 – Fun fun fun. Again sort of falls into background music for me, but really really good background music. Hope I have this one.

7 – “Round Midnight” on bassoon ? I believe that would be Ken McIntyre from the Hindsight album. While I appreciate McIntyre in theory (especially the company he kept in the early 60’s – Dolphy), I find I don’t really respond to his playing.

8 – Older players than the previous selections, I believe. Fine for what it is , quite enjoyable.

9 – This is Bobby Watson, one of the tunes he did with Art Blakey (though this is not the Blakey version). “Wheel Within a Wheel”. I loved Watson’s writing and playing during the Blakey period, the group with him and Wynton Marsalis was one of the greatest Jazz Messenger units.

10 – Lovely. Hope I have it somewhere.

11 – I can see where it has value, but not for me. I’m too old and not a nihilist

12 – Outside my domain.

13 – Huh?

14 – It’s good, of course, though I get the feeling these guys could have phoned this in.

Update after reading previous comments:I do own that Walter Davis album.

Edited by felser

This is a very substantial Blindfold Test, with really good music. Of course, I can't identify any of it. Here are my impressions.

1. A nice beginning, an appealing, spry piano trio piece. The pianist is really good. I have no idea who he or she is.

2. I recognize Luqman Hanza's voice. I do not know who the guitarist is, or what album this comes from.

3. This is an interesting mix of soloists. I perceive that the first tenor sax soloist can play outside if he wants to, but he is staying more inside here. The trumpet player is struggling with his chops, but plays with feeling. The second tenor sax soloist is more of a soulful player, and less of a potential outside player than the first sax soloist.

The tune's head is appealing. I have no idea who any of them are.

4. Some very nice, good bass playing on this rather minimalist piece.

5. This sounds like jazz guys playing funk to me, instead of funk guys getting jazzy. I find this very appealing. The saxophonist has a nice, soulful sound. The drummer sounds really good to me.

6. A very appealing song, no idea who it is.

7. A compelling version of "Round Midnight", played on bassoon. I think "Round Midnight" is often played in a boring way, especially at slow tempos, but this version holds my interest. I don't know who this is.

8. Either this is Keith Jarrett from the 1966-75 period, or someone who studied his playing until it became part of their DNA. To me, some of the playing sounds like Jarrett sounded on his Impulse albums with the American quartet.

9. This sounds like a revival of a 1970s style to me, not the original exploration which took place in the 1970s. The first saxophone soloist knows his Coltrane, but only falls into the patterns of Coltrane toward the end of his solo. The pianist is excellent.

10. This is a lyrical piece which is not a typical lyrical piece. The pianist gets more aggressive than most pianists get when being so lyrical. The drummer gets much more busy than a drummer typically gets on a lyrical piece. I like this a lot.

11. I like the vocal. I really have no idea who it is. Am I going crazy, or were these exact lyrics featured on another Blindfold Test within the past few years? If so, I don't remember anything about the identification of the song.

12. This is a really appealing swing era recording. I like the tenor sax player's tone very much. Is this Chu Berry? The trumpet player sounds like Roy Eldridge to me.

13. Oh, I love this!!!! I must get it, if I don't already own it. What a mind, to conceive of this piece! I love the way that the straight playing is so good and effective, even as the wacky sensibility intrudes so often. Fun, wild, excellent! My kind of thing!

This is the best song I have heard on a Blindfold Test all year. Oh wait, this is the first BFT of the year. Well, I doubt that I will hear many I like as much in all of 2014.

14. Beautiful and memorable piano trio piece, very effective closing tune. I would like to get this one too.

Thanks for an excellent, fun BFT!

OK, I'll show some cards.

I got a little bit of a head start so I'll chime in to get things rolling. It ain't much, but from a quick listen through:
1). Sounds like Walter Davis, Jr. I know I've heard this tune before but don't remember the name of it. Is that also a young Kenny Washington?

Mr. Weiss gets a hit on the first pitch. Yes, it's Walter Davis. You may have heard the tune (Walter wrote it) performed by someone else. Not Kenny Washington.

3). The first tenor solo sounds like Frank Wess. Can't ID anyone else.

Not Frank, but a nice guess.

4). I have no idea who this is. I like the composition, not the bass solo. Wish the pianist played a little more.

I wish it had a piano solo too.

7). Jacquet playing Body and Soul on bassoon.

Jacquet yes, bassoon yes.

8). Sounds Keith Jarrett-ish. Is that him?

Nope.

Sorry, that's all I got.

No apology necessary. Always good to see you in these parts, or anywhere else.

#1. Walter Davis JR. "400 Years Ago Tomorrow" from the album "Scorpio Rising."

#2. Luqman Hamza singing from the album "When a Smile Overtakes a Frown."

#1 correct all the way around. With Ralph Peterson and Santi Debriano. Some might recognize the tune from Woody Shaw's performances.

#2 is Luqman -- I'm glad he's recognized -- but this performance is from a different recording that perhaps not many people have.

#1 correct all the way around. With Ralph Peterson and Santi Debriano. Some might recognize the tune from Woody Shaw's performances.

#2 is Luqman -- I'm glad he's recognized -- but this performance is from a different recording that perhaps not many people have.

I heard the one I mentioned.

Honest, I've had this one since about 1989. Used to have it on cassette.

I still can't paste or upload a Word doc, but I THINK I can upload a .txt file. Here goes.

attachicon.gifBFT118.txt

Seems to work...

MG

I nominate something you said here for the Organissimo Quote of the Year award:

Sorry, this, and several other cuts, are a bit too much like jazz for my tastes.

So soon?

:g

Well, it's true - I'm an R&B fan who likes SOME jazz a lot.

Glad to see the thing works, anyway.

MG

Nice stuff all around.

I wasn't going to comment right away but track 13 reached out and grabbed me. You probably know me enough that it isn't a suprise that this is my kind of music. I love the piano playing. While it sounds familiar, I can't really place it. Of coarse, the high jinx and musicianship make me think of some of the Dutch groups. Maybe Michiel Braam. Actually, I hope this is a group I've never heard of because finding out about it will be even more fun. I will be listening to this track alot.

If you want to do a reveal on this one right away, feel free. : 0 )

Wait a minute. Is #13 from a William Breuker album I burned for you several years ago, Spontooneous? Either way, it's embarassing that I don't know for sure.

Yes - Once heard, never forgotten, I'd say - even if it's only the first three and a half mins :D

I looked up Breuker on AMG after you mentioned him and it looks like it fits.

MG

The second theme was the use of the optivideotone as a staple of the hard bop quintet.

The optivideotone is a popular form of theremin is the light-sensitive variety. As the name implies, this type of instrument reacts to changes in light levels (i.e. brightness) just as the spatial proximity-based theremin reacts to changes in capacitance.

Professor Scott F. Hall of Cogswell Polytechnical College, Sunnyvale, California, has used this idea in the creation of his Optivideotone, an assemblage of audio and video electronics combined to produce an object that is sculpture, musical instrument / composition tool, and projected video art exhibit in one.

optivideotone.jpg

Edited by Hot Ptah

OK, I've got some catching up to do.

So close on guessing those themes, Bill. One of them is the Revolt of the Seven Kingdoms in China, 154 B.C., and the other is the life and career of Buddy Biancalana.

But seriously, folks...

1 – I believe I have this, but am not placing it. Pianist has been influenced harmonically by Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett, but it’s not either of them.

Already ID'd by Michael and Hardbopjazz. A pianist born before Corea and Jarrett.

2 – background music to me, but OK for that.

3 – Love this, right down to the poor recording quality. Especially like the tenor. Hope I have this somewhere, and if I do, look forward to pulling out the entire album. Really up my alley, this is by far my favorite on the BFT. I’m thinking Savoy label for whatever reason, maybe the recording ambience. 50’s Yusef Lateef maybe?

Not Savoy, and not Lateef. Really, there are two tenors. But I hear ya on the recording quality. (I had to boost it about 10 dB so it wouldn't be so faint compared to the tracks around it.)

4 – I have some of of this sort of thing (I call it the Paul Bley syndrome), and have no problem listening to it, but seldom would pull it off the shelf unless I had to listen to something while working at 3:00 AM (which happens at times).

5 – Nice groove, but do not like that tenor solo. I know this, am not placing it. Probably have it. Have a lot of this sort of thing.

Really two tenors here, too. I hope you have this disc, but I bet you don't (heh heh heh)...

6 – Fun fun fun. Again sort of falls into background music for me, but really really good background music. Hope I have this one.

7 – “Round Midnight” on bassoon ? I believe that would be Ken McIntyre from the Hindsight album. While I appreciate McIntyre in theory (especially the company he kept in the early 60’s – Dolphy), I find I don’t really respond to his playing.

You got the instrument. But Michael Weiss got the player.

8 – Older players than the previous selections, I believe. Fine for what it is , quite enjoyable.

One older player, but two younger, including the leader. My weakness for Monkish tunes shows here again.

9 – This is Bobby Watson, one of the tunes he did with Art Blakey (though this is not the Blakey version). “Wheel Within a Wheel”. I loved Watson’s writing and playing during the Blakey period, the group with him and Wynton Marsalis was one of the greatest Jazz Messenger units.

Right-o, Bobby Watson and "Wheel Within a Wheel." Anybody know where this version comes from?

10 – Lovely. Hope I have it somewhere.

11 – I can see where it has value, but not for me. I’m too old and not a nihilist

12 – Outside my domain.

13 – Huh?

14 – It’s good, of course, though I get the feeling these guys could have phoned this in.

I'm wondering how long before someone recognizes the tune being bopped on 14.

Update after reading previous comments:I do own that Walter Davis album.

Thanks, John!

Posted for The Magnificent Goldberg, who is still having technical problems:

Well, I didn’t have much of a clue about most of this music, I’m sorry to say. But I enjoyed listening to most of it, even if I didn’t like it much. So, here we go…
1 A kind of uneasy tune played by a pianist with a lot of Cedar Walton’s touch. That little five note figure, repeated four times, coming in at the end of every chorus really breaks up the flow. I can’t imagine why they’re doing it. Personally, I find it most irritating.
2 I haven’t heard Mark Murphy since the early sixties, but this singer sounds as if he’s a more aged edition of him; very deliberate. Except his accent isn’t quite American. The song isn’t saying much, even after two listens.
3 A hard bop kind of tune, played by what sounds like a standard hard bop quintet. And a standard hard bop tenor player. But nothing like a standard hard bop trumpeter. I know I’ve never heard this guy before in my life. He has entirely the ‘wrong’ sound for a hard bopper; something like Red Allen. Now the tenor player again. Now the pianist; another who’s following the hard bop norm. I want to hear more of the trumpet player, whoever he’s like, because he’s definitely a person.
4 Pianist with a very pretty sound but using harmonies that are too deliberately not what you’d expect. And a bass player who, really like the pianist, doesn’t seem to be playing anything in particular. Doesn’t sound like anything is actually happening, or give a clue as to why not.
5 Another hard bop band; this one sounding definitely like what Larry Kart calls ‘retro hard bop’ (or words to that effect). One thing that’s clear as far as I can tell is that, unlike the genuine article, there’s no joy in the music in these people. Even people I don’t like at all, like Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan, the joy they take in playing what they do is wholly apparent. Yes lads, you’ve passed the test, you can call yourselves jazz musicians now.
6 Nice little tune with a smashing rhythm riff. No idea who’s playing.
7 Oh I recognise this. Yes, ‘Round midnight’ from the album ‘The blues, that’s me’ by one of my all-time favourites on the bassoon. Just sit there and let Illinois encompass you.
8 Very competent piano player; could be one of scores. So could the bass player. Sorry, this, and several other cuts, are a bit too much like jazz for my tastes.
9 Well, this is enthusiastic all right. I like the alto player, who has more than a touch of the sound of Sonny Criss on occasion.
10 Not sure I know why a pianist would have a nice sounding band behind him, then play an original ballad for eight minutes without letting any of the band have a go. Nice pianist, but I don’t understand what he’s thinking of.
11 Well, the song seems to be ‘I don’t care if I don’t care’. Original title – no good for a BFT, as it’s so darn easy to flick over to AMG and find out that it’s #2 from this album.
It’s kind of nice. Good rhythm section, too.
12 Nice swinging little thing. Nice tenor player; something of a Hawk sound to his voice. Lovely fruity trombonist. Nice stride pianist. Blazing trumpet player! This is definitely up my street and I’m disappointed I can’t truly say I recognise anyone.
13 Avant garde circus music? Then a kind of soupy sax, backed up by some interesting noises off. Off he goes, into the wilderness, with less interesting noises. Well, after three and a half minutes, incomprehension drove me to the next track.
14 I think this is another retro guy – full of chops but no exuberance.
Well, some nice things in there Spoon, though not a lot were really my kind of thing. So, many thanks. What I really wonder is, why did you put that lovely bit of Jacquet in the middle of it all? It sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyway, glad I recognised something. And two trumpet players I have to find out about…
MG

This is a very substantial Blindfold Test, with really good music. Of course, I can't identify any of it. Here are my impressions.

1. A nice beginning, an appealing, spry piano trio piece. The pianist is really good. I have no idea who he or she is.

2. I recognize Luqman Hanza's voice. I do not know who the guitarist is, or what album this comes from.

After the reveal, I'm hoping you find you have this album. I've got the only copy I know of, but I'm sure there are more out there.

3. This is an interesting mix of soloists. I perceive that the first tenor sax soloist can play outside if he wants to, but he is staying more inside here. The trumpet player is struggling with his chops, but plays with feeling. The second tenor sax soloist is more of a soulful player, and less of a potential outside player than the first sax soloist.

Don't think that the first tenor ever played anything outside, but yes, he's a little younger and more modern in outlook than the other tenor. The trumpet player's frayed chops will be forgiven once everybody finds out who it is.

The tune's head is appealing. I have no idea who any of them are.

4. Some very nice, good bass playing on this rather minimalist piece.

5. This sounds like jazz guys playing funk to me, instead of funk guys getting jazzy. I find this very appealing. The saxophonist has a nice, soulful sound. The drummer sounds really good to me.

Yep, jazz guys making a funk groove. Actually there are two tenors. (That's not a theme here.)

6. A very appealing song, no idea who it is.

7. A compelling version of "Round Midnight", played on bassoon. I think "Round Midnight" is often played in a boring way, especially at slow tempos, but this version holds my interest. I don't know who this is.

8. Either this is Keith Jarrett from the 1966-75 period, or someone who studied his playing until it became part of their DNA. To me, some of the playing sounds like Jarrett sounded on his Impulse albums with the American quartet.

Not Jarrett, but there's a strong link to the American quartet. A REALLY strong link.

9. This sounds like a revival of a 1970s style to me, not the original exploration which took place in the 1970s. The first saxophone soloist knows his Coltrane, but only falls into the patterns of Coltrane toward the end of his solo. The pianist is excellent.

Felser got it.

10. This is a lyrical piece which is not a typical lyrical piece. The pianist gets more aggressive than most pianists get when being so lyrical. The drummer gets much more busy than a drummer typically gets on a lyrical piece. I like this a lot.

I'm pretty sure it's in your collection. Hint hint.

11. I like the vocal. I really have no idea who it is. Am I going crazy, or were these exact lyrics featured on another Blindfold Test within the past few years? If so, I don't remember anything about the identification of the song.

Don't recall hearing it on a BFT before, but I'm no encyclopedia of these things.

12. This is a really appealing swing era recording. I like the tenor sax player's tone very much. Is this Chu Berry? The trumpet player sounds like Roy Eldridge to me.

Not Chu, not Roy. Not a major-league band, but they were working at it. Nobody's remarked on my favorite part of this one, the trombone solo.

13. Oh, I love this!!!! I must get it, if I don't already own it. What a mind, to conceive of this piece! I love the way that the straight playing is so good and effective, even as the wacky sensibility intrudes so often. Fun, wild, excellent! My kind of thing!

But not Breuker, as has been alleged.

This is the best song I have heard on a Blindfold Test all year. Oh wait, this is the first BFT of the year. Well, I doubt that I will hear many I like as much in all of 2014.

14. Beautiful and memorable piano trio piece, very effective closing tune. I would like to get this one too.

Thanks for an excellent, fun BFT!

Really nice album Spontooneous, I couldn't download earlier than today, but I have been looking and searching this afternoon.

I came to 2 solutions so far.
no 2. Luqman Hamza – When you surrender Stunning voice. I didn’t know about him but fell in love the minute I listened to the song.
Like Hardbopjazz I expected it to be from the album “When a smile overtakes a frown”.
Since you say it is from another recording I’m taking a gamble to the time he still called
himself Larry Cummings since I haven’t been able to find it on any other album and I expect you do not mean a compilation album.
I was confused since I read somewhere he co-wrote the song but while checking that the song wasn’t registered in his name at all. I later found out that he changed his name so his name is registered after all with this song. (I did wonder at first like something had happened similar like with Miles Davis and Bill Evans with the Kind of Blue album since Bill Evans didn’t get credit since he wrote for Miles at the time.)

Anyway this recording was in 1952 and with his band.
So fingers crossed for:
Larry Cummings & his Rhythm Aces – When you surrender
personnel: Eugene "Jeep" Griddine - guitar, Lucky Wesley - bass, Larry Cummings (Luqman Hamza)- piano & percussion & vocals, Eddie Saunders -sax, Rico Kemp -guitar
I found a picture of the single, but couldn’t listen to check whether this is right. Probably not since he himself stated that his voice was lighter at that time and became more strong. I really thought it was the recording of the “When a smile overtakes a frown” since I did listen to that one and it seemed to sound the same.
It was fun to do the research on this, a thrill to find out about the name change, lol. Nice bit of history there. Ah, I just see you say it is from an album, the one I mention is a 78.

no 11. Jessica Lurie Ensemble – I don’t care if I don’t care – album Shop of Wild dreams
Personnel: Jessica Lurie: alto and tenor sax, flute, accordion, baritone ukulele, voice; Eric Deutsch: piano, electric keyboard, Rhodes; Brandon Seabrook: guitar, banjo, tape recorder; Todd Sickafoose: acoustic bass; Allison Miller: drums; Elizabeth Pupo-Walker: percussion; Tina Richerson: baritone sax. On this song just voice, piano, guitar, bass and drums I think, so that would mean: Jessica Lurie, Eric Deutsch, Brandon Seabrook, Todd Sickafoose and Allison Miller.
Ah, I see jeffcrom beat me to this one.
I'm happy that I did find out about the vocal tunes at least.

no 13 Not Breuker? Ok. After HP's comment I figured he was right since it sounds so much like the Willem Breuker Kollectief.

Edited by page

Nice stuff all around.

I wasn't going to comment right away but track 13 reached out and grabbed me. You probably know me enough that it isn't a suprise that this is my kind of music. I love the piano playing. While it sounds familiar, I can't really place it. Of coarse, the high jinx and musicianship make me think of some of the Dutch groups. Maybe Michiel Braam. Actually, I hope this is a group I've never heard of because finding out about it will be even more fun. I will be listening to this track alot.

If you want to do a reveal on this one right away, feel free. : 0 )

Ahh, I figured you'd come closer to this one than anybody. Braam it is. (Newish to me, I've had it only a couple of months ago.)