BFT 119 Discussion

Hardbopjazz

no. 5 Dave Young - song: One Finger Snap (composer Herbie Hancock) – album: Two by Two vol 2 , piano-bass duets Dave Young – bass Kenny Baron - piano - 1996 label:Justin Time
MI0000104443.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
I really like what this Dave Young did, seems a really nice album.
Recognized a few others so far, but didn't find the artists yet.

btw you gave us some clues, I hope that was intentional

Edited by page

Thanks Tom for a very enjoyable, standards-heavy BFT. Only the vocal track really didn't float my boat - and I'll bet it was someone justifiably famous - but as is often the case, I don't have a lot of guesses.

Track 4 - Joe Pass on "The Very Thought of You"?

Track 5 - Mulgrew?

Track 7 - A little strange as the organ sounds pre-bop but the tenor doesn't. The warmth of the sound makes me think Houston Person but I doubt I am correct.

Thanks Tom, looking forward to the discussion as I am sure the collective wisdom of the group will come up with quite a few answers before the reveal.

The clues weren't that obvious, I hope.

Yes, that is Dave Young.

You are giving a bit of direction, not really obvious. Most titles of the standards I heard while listening myself, in some cases it gives you an idea how to start looking.

I thought of Joe Pass too on no. 4, but it is "In a sentimental mood", not "The very thought of you". Haven't been able to find this particular recording yet though if it is him. There are a bunch of jewels on your BFT, f.e I love the quiet guitar renditions on your BFT. Those are really lovely!

Thanks Tom for a very enjoyable, standards-heavy BFT. Only the vocal track really didn't float my boat - and I'll bet it was someone justifiably famous - but as is often the case, I don't have a lot of guesses.

Track 4 - Joe Pass on "The Very Thought of You"?

Track 5 - Mulgrew?

Track 7 - A little strange as the organ sounds pre-bop but the tenor doesn't. The warmth of the sound makes me think Houston Person but I doubt I am correct.

Thanks Tom, looking forward to the discussion as I am sure the collective wisdom of the group will come up with quite a few answers before the reveal.

Track 4 - no it's not Joe Pass.

Track 5 - Page guessed it. Dave Young and Kenny Barron

Track 7- Sorry, it isn't Person.

The clues weren't that obvious, I hope.

Yes, that is Dave Young.

You are giving a bit of direction, not really obvious. Most titles of the standards I heard while listening myself, in some cases it gives you an idea how to start looking.

I thought of Joe Pass too on no. 4, but it is "In a sentimental mood", not "The very thought of you". Haven't been able to find this particular recording yet though if it is him. There are a bunch of jewels on your BFT, f.e I love the quiet guitar renditions on your BFT. Those are really lovely!

I can't give another hit on who's playing guitar. Someone is going to guess this. I was in the audience for track #4.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I do not want more hints, I like the searching and 'eureka' feeling when I finally discover the answer. :) It will be a challenge then for me to discover the artist of no 4 since I'll have to recognize him/her by the style instead of comparing recordings. Nothing's impossible though.

1. Clarinet has a gorgeous tone and vibrato. I think it might be Pee Wee Russell. The rhythm section is very tasteful and I would imagine is made up of older swing era guys although the pianist could be someone younger like Tommy Flanagan or Hank Jones. Don't recognise the tune. The recording quality is good so I'd say it might have been recorded sometime in the mid to late fifties. 5 stars, really liked this one.

2. Haven't heard much of this type of early piano jazz. Some of the trills remind me of Tatum but it's not virtuosic enough for him. I love the classical sounding ending. 5 stars.

3. Never Will I Marry is the song. Two pianos. One of the pianists is slightly more bebop sounding but both sound pretty similar to me. Maybe Keith Jarrett? I don't usually like this sort of airy and less groovy jazz but I do like this tune. 3 stars.

4. Sound's like he fluffs a note about 15 seconds in. Not one of my favorite versions of this tune but at least he's trying to do something different but then again it's not different enough, not out enough and almost begins to groove halfway through but then backs off again. I couldn't say who it was as I only really listen to Wes and Django when it comes to jazz guitar. 2 and a half stars.

5. Tune sounds familiar. I think I heard it off a Chick Corea record "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs". Bass solo really catches you off guard. He has a lot of technical facility but to me sounds too muscular and lacks a more sensitive sort of emotion. Pianist also leaves me fairly cold. I'd rather listen to McCoy Tyner. 2 and a half stars.

6. Don't like this style of singing. I don't think it's particularly appropriate for this sort of blues/gospel tune either. 1 star.

7. Love those cymbals with rivets on a ballad like this. It sounds like more modern recording (1990s or 2000s I think) but the music is old fashioned. Don't know who the players are. 2 and a half stars.

8. Reminds me of the tune "Black Coffee" at first. Is it Gary Bartz? I've only heard him on Live-Evil but the tone is similar. I Wish I Knew is the name of the tune I think. I like the soprano sax player. No idea who the pianist is, I hear a little Bill Evans influence though. 3 and a half stars.

9. Don't like the snare/kit sound production in general. Sax solo and sound is pretty nice though. Probably some modern guy like Branford Marsalis or Joshua Redman, I don't really listen to that era of jazz so I'm just guessing. 2 and a half stars.

10. That wimpy tone like Barney Kessel or Joe Pass that most jazz guitarists have, I like Wes' thicker sound. Ah Body and Soul again! I think the second solo is Joe pass. 2 and a half stars.

Getting late here so I'll do the rest later.

1. Clarinet has a gorgeous tone and vibrato. I think it might be Pee Wee Russell. The rhythm section is very tasteful and I would imagine is made up of older swing era guys although the pianist could be someone younger like Tommy Flanagan or Hank Jones. Don't recognise the tune. The recording quality is good so I'd say it might have been recorded sometime in the mid to late fifties. 5 stars, really liked this one.

Sorry, it isn't Pee Wee Russell nor is the pianist Flanagan or Jones.

2. Haven't heard much of this type of early piano jazz. Some of the trills remind me of Tatum but it's not virtuosic enough for him. I love the classical sounding ending. 5 stars.

3. Never Will I Marry is the song. Two pianos. One of the pianists is slightly more bebop sounding but both sound pretty similar to me. Maybe Keith Jarrett? I don't usually like this sort of airy and less groovy jazz but I do like this tune. 3 stars.

Not Keith Jarrett.

4. Sound's like he fluffs a note about 15 seconds in. Not one of my favorite versions of this tune but at least he's trying to do something different but then again it's not different enough, not out enough and almost begins to groove halfway through but then backs off again. I couldn't say who it was as I only really listen to Wes and Django when it comes to jazz guitar. 2 and a half stars.

5. Tune sounds familiar. I think I heard it off a Chick Corea record "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs". Bass solo really catches you off guard. He has a lot of technical facility but to me sounds too muscular and lacks a more sensitive sort of emotion. Pianist also leaves me fairly cold. I'd rather listen to McCoy Tyner. 2 and a half stars.

Page was able to get this one. Dave Young and Kenny Barron.

6. Don't like this style of singing. I don't think it's particularly appropriate for this sort of blues/gospel tune either. 1 star.

7. Love those cymbals with rivets on a ballad like this. It sounds like more modern recording (1990s or 2000s I think) but the music is old fashioned. Don't know who the players are. 2 and a half stars.

8. Reminds me of the tune "Black Coffee" at first. Is it Gary Bartz? I've only heard him on Live-Evil but the tone is similar. I Wish I Knew is the name of the tune I think. I like the soprano sax player. No idea who the pianist is, I hear a little Bill Evans influence though. 3 and a half stars.

Correct!. It is Gary Bartz.

9. Don't like the snare/kit sound production in general. Sax solo and sound is pretty nice though. Probably some modern guy like Branford Marsalis or Joshua Redman, I don't really listen to that era of jazz so I'm just guessing. 2 and a half stars.

No it isn't Marsalis or Redman. The title in the tune is in th hint I provided.

10. That wimpy tone like Barney Kessel or Joe Pass that most jazz guitarists have, I like Wes' thicker sound. Ah Body and Soul again! I think the second solo is Joe pass. 2 and a half stars.

It isn't Joe Pass on the second guitar.

Getting late here so I'll do the rest later.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Hello! ma baby Hello! ma honey Hello! ma ragtime gal Send me a kiss by wire Baby, ma heart's on fire! If you refuse me Honey, you'll lose me Then you'll be left alone Oh, baby, telephone And tell me I'm your own!

froggy.jpg

They don't make cartoons like this anymore.

Let the discussion begin.

One of the few things my mum & I agree on is that this is the greatest cartoon ever made...

Hello! ma baby Hello! ma honey Hello! ma ragtime gal Send me a kiss by wire Baby, ma heart's on fire! If you refuse me Honey, you'll lose me Then you'll be left alone Oh, baby, telephone And tell me I'm your own!

froggy.jpg

They don't make cartoons like this anymore.

Let the discussion begin.

One of the few things my mum & I agree on is that this is the greatest cartoon ever made...

I can't agree more. I love this cartoon.

A quick stab at the first few --

1 – "I'll Take Manhattan" on a pleasantly woody-sounding clarinet. I have no guess. Presumably not Goodman or Pee Wee. Presumably not Woody Allen.

2 – Despite the clever visual clue, not Mr. Ellington playing. Somebody very fluent, like Johnny Guarnieri. Is that an edit at the end, or does this recording continue?

3 – Should I know this song? Because I don't. Beautiful performance. Fred Hersch?

4 – "In a Sentimental Mood." The space around the notes makes me think of Jim Hall.

5 – "One Finger Snap." No guess, but I want this record.

6 – Maybe Jessye Norman? I confess, I haven't paid much attention to the albums of spirituals that the classical industry seemed to expect singers, especially the darker-skinned ones, to turn out. This performance seems a little too proper for its own good, or maybe I'm just not in the mood. Not bad, though.

Edited by Spontooneous

A quick stab at the first few --

1 – "I'll Take Manhattan" on a pleasantly woody-sounding clarinet. I have no guess. Presumably not Goodman or Pee Wee. Presumably not Woody Allen.

None of the above.

2 – Despite the clever visual clue, not Mr. Ellington playing. Somebody very fluent, like Johnny Guarnieri. Is that an edit at the end, or does this recording continue?

No, not Guarnieri

3 – Should I know this song? Because I don't. Beautiful performance. Fred Hersch?

No, not Fred Hersch.

4 – "In a Sentimental Mood." The space around the notes makes me think of Jim Hall.

Yes, it is Jim Hall. It's from his last musical performance. November 23, 2013. He was not doing well. He needed to help on to the stage. I was in the audience." When his band came out, he called "All the Things You Are." He started playing "In a Sentimental Mood" again. The band just went with it.

5 – "One Finger Snap." No guess, but I want this record.

Page got this one.

6 – Maybe Jessye Norman? I confess, I haven't paid much attention to the albums of spirituals that the classical industry seemed to expect singers, especially the darker-skinned ones, to turn out. This performance seems a little too proper for its own good, or maybe I'm just not in the mood. Not bad, though.

The pianist and guitarist are well know. The vocalist is married to one of them,

Edited by Hardbopjazz

a few more guesses:

no. 6 Randye Jones song: Roun’ about the mountain (Roland Hayes) – album Come down angels 2003 Randy Jones – soprano, Francis Conlon –piano
beautiful voice, I like the simple accompaniment too. I've sung gospel a few times and have always liked doing so. I've had some classical training in the past which differs from the technique you use for jazz, my coach at the time therefore didn't teach me some classical techniques to prevent I would sound like a classic singer singing jazz instead of a jazz singer.

no. 10 Body and Soul (Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour & Frank Eyton ) Louis Stewart – guitar, Mundell Lowe – guitar
One of my favourites at your BFT. The artists I'm not sure of, hard to find guitar duets on this one. I didn't find an album (yet), so we'll see.

no. 16 Sonnymoon for 2 (Sonny Rollins) – album: Woody Shaw & Edelhagen All Stars - WDR Studio 1, Cologne, May 7, 1965 Woody Shaw – trumpet, Derek Humble – altsax, Karl Drewo – tenorsax, Bora Rokovic – piano, Joe Sydow – bass and Stuff Combe – drums
Fun song, really nice.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)
Still working on the others, have recognized most titles but didn't find all personnel.

Edited by page

a few more guesses:

no. 6 Randye Jones song: Roun’ about the mountain (Roland Hayes) – album Come down angels 2003 Randy Jones – soprano, Francis Conlon –piano

beautiful voice, I like the simple accompaniment too. I've sung gospel a few times and have always liked doing so. I've had some classical training in the past which differs from the technique you use for jazz, my coach at the time therefore didn't teach me some classical techniques to prevent I would sound like a classic singer singing jazz instead of a jazz singer.

All Music. com has her as a jazz singer.. the pianist and guitarist are known for jazz.

no. 10 Body and Soul (Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour & Frank Eyton ) Louis Stewart – guitar, Mundell Lowe – guitar

One of my favourites at your BFT. The artists I'm not sure of, hard to find guitar duets on this one. I didn't find an album (yet), so we'll see.

Not Mundell Lowe and Louis Stewart. You want a hint? :)

no. 16 Sonnymoon for 2 (Sonny Rollins) – album: Woody Shaw & Edelhagen All Stars - WDR Studio 1, Cologne, May 7, 1965 Woody Shaw – trumpet, Derek Humble – altsax, Karl Drewo – tenorsax, Bora Rokovic – piano, Joe Sydow – bass and Stuff Combe – drums

Fun song, really nice.

You are correct. There is a second tenor on this date.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Still working on the others, have recognized most titles but didn't find all personnel.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

re: 6, then it must be Barbara Hendricks, I thought she wouldn't be it, since I have an album of hers. No, it cant be her. I'll look further.
re: 10, no, I don't want a hint, let me dig some more.
re: 16, the second tenor is Wilton Gaynair, but he wasn't listed for this track, or maybe I misunderstood.

Edited by page

• 2 weeks later...

Another shot at no. 10

Body and Soul (Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour & Frank Eyton ) - Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis - album Great Guitars Live - 2001? (another guiarist on the album: Charlie Byrd, but not playing during this song)

Bingo!

JIPPIE! :) I really love this track, I'll have to look into the whole album. I have another album of Barney Kessel, the one he did with Julie London, called "Julie is her name". Ray Leatherwood is on bass on that one. I've used some transcriptions of it. Real lovely guitarplaying by Barney Kessel there too.

Edited by page

Another shot at no. 10

Body and Soul (Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour & Frank Eyton ) - Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis - album Great Guitars Live - 2001? (another guiarist on the album: Charlie Byrd, but not playing during this song)

Bingo!

JIPPIE! :) I really love this track, I'll have to look into the whole album. I have another album of Barney Kessel, the one he did with Julie London, called "Julie is her name". Ray Leatherwood is on bass on that one. I've used some transcriptions of it. Real lovely guitarplaying by Barney Kessel there too.

This is a different recording, not the one you mentioned.

Another shot at no. 10

Bingo!

Ah, then is it the one at the album: Great Guitars at the Winery - 1980 ?

Another shot at no. 10

Bingo!

Ah, then is it the one at the album: Great Guitars at the Winery - 1980 ?

Here's the story on this one. This is from a radio master. Recorded in Köln, Germany at the Subway Jazz Club, 1981-11-03. This has never been released officially.

Another small bite for me --

7 – I love the tempo of this "God Bless the Child," and the lack of clutter. I wish everybody knew how to take their time like this. Is the tenor Houston Person? No guess on the organ, but I like that too.

8 – A long, bluesy intro, with the soprano player literally singing into the horn at a few moments. If there was more than one horn, I'd guess Roland Kirk. At about a minute and a half, settles into "I Wish I Knew." Maybe late-career Moody? Re-listening, I'm greatly impressed by the pianist, who's exactly where he-she needs to be all the time.

9 – The tone and delivery remind me of Jimmy Heath.

10 – No guess – I'm really not good at identifying guitar players – but I like that both players have the courage and taste and musicality not to show off on this.

11 – A Bacharach tune that I like better without the lyrics. Nice trio arrangement, some magic in the piano solo, and more magic on the long outro. Even if I'm short of guesses, I'm enjoying this part of the BFT, with a lot of music that might be unreleased.

12 – This reminds me very much of Jessica Williams.

Another small bite for me --

7 – I love the tempo of this "God Bless the Child," and the lack of clutter. I wish everybody knew how to take their time like this. Is the tenor Houston Person? No guess on the organ, but I like that too.

Sorry, it's not Houston Person.

8 – A long, bluesy intro, with the soprano player literally singing into the horn at a few moments. If there was more than one horn, I'd guess Roland Kirk. At about a minute and a half, settles into "I Wish I Knew." Maybe late-career Moody? Re-listening, I'm greatly impressed by the pianist, who's exactly where he-she needs to be all the time.

The horn player was ID'ed by Awesome Wells. It is Gary Bartz. The pianist is still not known.

9 – The tone and delivery remind me of Jimmy Heath.

Not Jimmy Heath.

10 – No guess – I'm really not good at identifying guitar players – but I like that both players have the courage and taste and musicality not to show off on this.

Page got this. Kessell and Ellis.

11 – A Bacharach tune that I like better without the lyrics. Nice trio arrangement, some magic in the piano solo, and more magic on the long outro. Even if I'm short of guesses, I'm enjoying this part of the BFT, with a lot of music that might be unreleased.

You are correct that this is unreleased.

12 – This reminds me very much of Jessica Williams.

No it's not Williams.

Edited by Hardbopjazz