• Topics

• I see there are many facets to this problem. Having recently turned 64 I hope "I am not there yet" either but have started scaling down at least a little, starting with my "other" area of collection (late 50s classic cars and all the parts and documents that go with them) and gradually weeding out things. The idea of letting some of the car books go was to free shelf space for my records and music book library, but lately I've every now and then caught myself wondering "Do I really want to add that many more records"?  Which does give me the creeps at this time because the enjoyment still IS there - and some kind of "hunting fever" too. But great finds and purchases from the past 2 years made me realize that it would be unwise to encourage my heirs to sell my collection in bulk to a shop. Seeing the prices at which our local #1 record shop sold vinyl and CDs from quite interesting collections in recent times (and no doubt still made a decent profit, though they even let items unsold after a while go into recycling - which I only learned "after the fact" ) I shudder to think what they paid per item for those collections. At any rate, I think my son at least knows what to do and what not to do. His musical interests run in quite different directions but are expanding, and he has caught the collecting bug too. Besides, one of his side jobs during his University days was working in a record store (one of his tasks was to list items on Discogs). So he ought to have some insights. Beyond that, I guess there will be takers (somewhat younger fellow collectors among friends) for at least part of my (real 50s and 50s-style) rock'n'roll, plus country/hillbilly and R&B/blues records. But jazz? Much less likely, alas. Particularly since part of my collection reflects my eclectic and "special" tastes sometimes off the trodden paths of the "usual name suspects". Well, we'll see ...
    • Angelo Y Su Conjunto Modelo "Aqui Esta El Son" (Laslos Records) 1986 .... rather late genre gem and a worthy mention regarding "Salsa Cover Art" 😎😇 ....
    • Reminded by "HutchFan" .... wrote about this performance here before, highly recommended ....
    • John Cale "Artificial Intelligence" (Beggar`s Banquet Records) 1985 .... Cover Art by Dennis Nechvatal .... 
    • Thereof Symphony 7 ..... recorded @ Herkulessaal München on May 25th, 1977 .... Rafael Kubelik`s Dvorak studio recordings (with the BPO on DG) are excellent, but the 70`s "live" recordings with the BRSO (consisting in parts of CPO musicians who fled from their home country in 1968) are more intense and they focus on the dark aspects of Dvorak`s later symphonies ....