AOW Sept. 12-18 Steve Lacy THE RENT

David Gitin

Among recordings by Steve Lacy, this is the trio with Jean-Jacques Avenel on bass and John Betsch on drums, recorded at The Old Church, both sets performed that night (11/30/97) on a double-CD. (I didn't get to hear the trio live until a year and a half later, also in a church, in Berkeley).

I was curious what would be present in the pared-down trio. For one thing, Lacy being the only horn, there was more immediate evidence of the interplay betwen Lacy and the rhythm section, starting with Monk's "Shuffle Boil" and burning through Lacy originals like "The Bath," "The Rent," "Prayer," and "Blinks," all performed with a spirit of playfulness.

This version of "The Door" (like the aforementioned "Prayer") far outstrips the RCA recording.

(Thanks to Paul Secor for choosing me to do this).

Edited by David Gitin

It's probably the loneliest album of the week ever. I heard it a couple of times in the last few days. Nothing to say but the obvious - this is a very good album. Still didn't grasp the whole album so it will take a few more times to listen (probably it should sink for a few months before I'll be able to express something less general than: "very good, great, wonderful" etc).

This one has been sitting in the as-yet-unplayed pile at my house for a few months. (I think I bought it from a fellow board member!)

Disc One is spinning right now. Jean-Jacques Avenel is KILLIN'. He's really using all that open space, in an incredibly tasteful way.

I haven't listened to Lacy since he died. But he's unstoppable here.

Thanks, David, for giving me the spur to put this one on!

• 4 weeks later...

I posted my latest purchases at forums.allaboutjazz.com and in case you don't read their forums very often....

I bought The Rent in last week. WHAT A SHOW! It's absolutely stunning performance. There is something thrilling about the whole gig, there is not a dull moment on those two cds.

In the same order I also bought 5 X Monk 5 X Lacy and The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy. No regrets so far :)

My next purchase is going to be Five Facings. I have borrowed it from a local library *several* times and it's utterly beautiful.How I wish I could also find "Deadline" on cd...

There are too many Steve Lacy cds that I'd like to buy but I simply don't have enough money.