Bill Stewart Trio - Keynote Speakers

Jim Alfredson

Alright, listening to just two of the samples convinced me this is one to get!!! Drums and two keyboarders! And Larry Goldings and Kevin Hays, two of my favourites! Saw Hays last year with Al Foster - you have to see these cats live to really get what they want to do. His own Blue Note "go round" had some great Rhodes playing on it.

My bank account is aching, but ...

billstewarttrio.jpg

I just thought, it's a big shame that none of the long standing jazz labels like Blue Note wouldn't release this .....

I think its pretty indicative of the atmosphere that surrounds the major or long standing jazz labels these days. We couldn't get anyone to even listen to our disc and look what happened... it was in the CMJ Top 10 for four weeks! It did better overall than a lot of the major label issues as far as radio play.

Not to say that's the end-all-be-all, but I think it says something.

Yeah, I've got this, and I love it! It's quite a showcase for Stewart's unique and subtle skills. And I never turn down a chance to check out the pure genius (and I don't use that word lightly) that is Larry Goldings at the B-3! This is the best I've heard Kevin Hays sound as well (which isn't meant as damning with faint praise at all, for the record) -- he's really smoking throughout, to particularly amazing effect with Goldings' sly shading and commentary beneath and around his runs. The meshed keyboard parts are gorgeous and intricate throughout, and Stewart sounds totally inspired. I would highly recommend it!

Got this from CD Baby two days ago - plain cardboard sleeve, so postage is low.

Excellent music and highly recommended!

Oh the good old days when Blue Note et al. had the guts to release this .... it was recorded in 2002! I see it coming that the best music will be on artist produced records - well, in many cases, it's already happening!

Oh the good old days when Blue Note et al. had the guts to release this .... it was recorded in 2002! I see it coming that the best music will be on artist produced records - well, in many cases, it's already happening!

either this or small focused labels Mike... I'm buying a bigger and bigger percentage of all CD's from those labels within this and last year !

Cheers, Tjobbe

either this or small focused labels Mike... I'm buying a bigger and bigger percentage of all CD's from those labels within this and last year !

Cheers, Tjobbe

The days of super-high overhead are gone. CD duplication is so ridiculously cheap, studios (real studios) are fairly inexpensive (they've had to lower their price to compete with the home recording market) and anyone can design covers with a computer and Photoshop. And with CDBaby, anyone can sell that music to the world with very little expense.

It's a good thing!!! It makes places like this (the forums) even more valuable since anybody and everybody can release a CD. We have to rely on each other to filter the good from the bad or the good from the great!

It's a good thing!!!  It makes places like this (the forums) even more valuable since anybody and everybody can release a CD.  We have to rely on each other to filter the good from the bad or the good from the great!

Fully agreed!

And much thanks to you Jim for pointing this out - I love music of this type and probably would have overlooked this.

Mission accomplished! :tup

• 3 weeks later...