AOTW, 2nd-9th Apr, Andy Sheppard and His Rhythmical Personages.

The Rep

Being new to this forum, this is the first time I have put up a album of the week. My main interest is to see what other people think of an album I quite like. The album is "Soft On The Inside" by Andy Sheppard on Antilles. The album was dedicated to Gil Evans, Carla Bley and George Russel. Its a fifteen piece band with two pianists, two drummers and a cello. I like the very unconventional way Andy uses his horns and reeds. I think Gary Valentes trombone adds great depth to the band. I once heard him described by Humphry Littleton as the man with granite teeth and concrete lips.

Edited by The Rep

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - a bit late on this one. Andy Sheppard gets a really high profile here in the UK a lot of the time. I have to say, I haven't heard much of his work, but I did see him open for Ornette here last year. It was immensely dissapointing. His tone was, to my ears, limp, and he had little in the way of ideas (he was playing with Kuljit Bamra on tabla, and he seemed content to circular breath his way around arpeggios - a rather obvious, and IMHO unsatisfactory, response to the hypnotic tabla groove).

So I've rather been put off him. That said, he's recorded with some great people (as well as the aforementioned Bley, Russell, Evans, he's put something down with Keith Tippett), so I feel like I should maybe give him another try sometime!

he's put something down with Keith Tippett), so I feel like I should maybe give him another try sometime!

That's the only Sheppard I've got " 66 shades of lipstick", , quite an acquired taste if I remember, freely improvised pieces, fine for 12mins or so and the my concentration waned. Haven't played it in many years, so I guess I don't like it.

I don't have this one. Sheppard created quite a stir when he came on the scene years ago. I've not heard that much of him in the meantime but I've never been really taken with his playing. I've noted his career move with some top bands with interest so he must have something. Sorry to say I've not found it yet.

The first recording I have of his is a called "Squere", which was a quartet. Andy playing various reeds and flutes, Geoff Williams piano, Peter Maxfield bass and Alan Edwards on drums. It was recorded in 1981 on Cadillac. At that time he sounded full of promise and quite exciting and two of the tracks were his compositions. Then I forgot about him but my interest in Carla Bley and the sound of Gary Valente on trombone made me listen to this album. All four compositions are Sheppards as are all the arrangements. It was produced by Steve Swallow and I think it is definitely worth a listen.

Thanks for your views.