AOTW November 19-25

felser

This little gem was recorded on August 8, 1963. Fascinating personnel - the Coltrane rhythm section (Tyner/Garrison/Jones) is joined by three forward thinking, woefully underrecorded (especially in that era) hornmen: Sonny Simmons, Prince Lasha, and Charles Davis. The album is very brief, 31 minutes, but all of the selections are memorable. 'Nuttin Out Jones' and 'Gettin On Way' are firy features for Simmons. 'Half and Half' and 'Just Us Blues' are excellent features for Davis, who IMO has his career moment on this album. 'Oriental Flower' is a gorgeous feature for Tyner. 'Aborigine Dance in Scotland' is a goofy tune, but it frames a spectacular (and not over-long) drum solo by Jones. Regrets on this album are that it is so brief and that Lasha is underutilized. The music is not 'New Thing' as such, but also is not caught up in the hard bop cliches of the era, straddling the line between those two sub-genres as much of the most exciting music of that era did. It is an album that 43 years later still sounds fresh and original, and gives a much-appreciated opportunity to hear Simmons and Davis at their peaks playing with the most dynamic rhythm section ever assembled, as well as presenting a performance of rare beauty by Tyner on his feature.

Edited by felser

Lasha's comment, from my interview with him at AAJ:

AAJ: How did the front line come together for Illumination? It was such an interesting group of horn players.

PL: I asked Trane if I could use his rhythm section and he said he would have to think about it, so he thought about it for a week or so, and Elvin was going to do an album, so I thought I’d go over there on that side. I had gotten that date and took Simmons with me....

Excellent record, and glad that it's up for discussion.

Edited by clifford_thornton

This hasn't been on CD has it? I've had the LP for many years, and really like this recording.

I have the CD right in front of me. Came out on CD in 1998, one of those Impulse digipacks. Not sure if the CD is still in print. I bought a cutout of the vinly at Woolworth's in my very early jazz days, and it was a wonderful experience for my new ears.

It's a wonderful date--potent, but not overpowering. I often get a vibe of "soft play" from this one--which isn't to say that it's soft, let alone quite music. It's just--especially with this personnel--the album doesn't strive for anything too bombastic or inflated. What we're left with is one of the finer in/out dates of the era. Charles Davis, in particular, smokes (not to take anything away from his mates--this is just some of my favorite bari).