AOTW November 26-December2

Guy Berger

Whoops, I totally forgot that I'd volunteered for the AOTW.

B00004RBZF.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Personnel: David Murray (tenor sax, bass clarinet), Ravi Best and Rasul Siddik (trumpets), Craig Harris (trombone), James Spaulding (alto sax, flute), D.D. Jackson (piano), Jaribu Shahid (bass), Mark Johnson (drums)

track listing

1. Giant Steps

2. Naima

3. The Crossing (David Murray)

4. India

5. Lazy Bird

6. A Love Supreme: Acknowledgment

all compositions by John Coltrane unless otherwise indicated

This was the first recording I'd heard featuring Murray. I don't have a ton of his stuff, but relative to earlier octet records like Ming or Murray's Steps, this one is more mainstream and much tighter. (Not a value judgment.) Also, there isn't quite the all-star lineup that the older albums had.

It's nice to hear Trane's compositions performed in this setting. Murray's arrangements generate a nice density of textures without getting bombastic.

Murray's playing on this album is fantastic.

As far as the song selection, it is heavily weighted toward Giant Steps; only two tunes are from the Impulse! period. (I wonder if this is a nod to Shepp's Four for Trane.) "Naima" is beautiful. "Giant Steps" has an exhilirating arrangement of Coltrane's original solos. "India" gets a very intriguing, haunting treatment with flute and tablas. "The Crossing" is really out of place -- I'm not sure why Murray chose to include it. Finally, "Acknowledgment" starts out great -- the opening collective improvisation is great, really emphasizing the links between A Love Supreme and Ascension -- but peters out somewhat near the end. I'm not sure I like hearing it played with a funk rhythm -- seems somewhat blasphemous to me.

Guy

I have not listened to this one in a while, but recall enjoying it when it was first released. I had a similar reaction to the interpretation of "A Love Supreme". Maybe it is time to give this one another listen.

Ron,

Do you mind if I copy and paste your Amazon review here?

Guy

Forgot I had even written one. Not at all. I hope it is relatively coherent.

Ron's amazon review:

I started to really appreciate jazz during my fourth year of college. At that time, David Murray was one of first artists that I investigated. If I remeber correctly, the first David Murray album I purchased was Home, one of his early octet albums. Well, 13 years later I am proud to boast that my David Murray collection has grown to over twenty five titles. Next to Joe Lovano, David Murray is in my opinion the most original tenor saxophonist on the scene. Where many contemporary saxophonists have a difficult time shedding that Coltrane imitation disease, David Murray has developed a purely invididual voice on the tenor grounded in the styles of Rollins, Hawkins and Webster. David Murray has mastered the complete range of the tenor, and the sounds that flow from his horn are nothing short of hypnotic.

Of all of the different groups David Murray has played with, I believe his long lasting octet provides the ideal platform to showcase all of his talent. As stated earlier, his playing is unlike any other, but the octet allows him to demonstrate his significant arranging and composing skills. The octet generates a level of excitement that is simply exhilirating.

On this most recent octet recording, Murray is joined by Craig Harris on trombone, D.D. Jackson on piano, Ravi Best, trumpet, Rasul Siddik, Trumpet, James Spaulding alto and flute, Mark Johnson - drums and Jaribu Shahid bass. Even though the album is dedicated to the music of John Coltrane, the cd is unmistakably David Murray. The excitement is there on "Giant Steps" and "Lazy Bird". The arrangements add something to the Coltrane originals while at the same time respecting the original. "Naima" is a showcase for Murray on tenor, and it is a highlight. Murray is an excellent ballad player without ever getting too mushy. "India" is exotic. I do have one minor problem with the cd. In my mind "Love Supreme" is sacred. Its almost as if it should not be played ever again because nothing will ever come close to the original. Here, after Murray's solo, the rendition of Acknowledgement with its hinted back beat does not completely do it for me. Nevertheless, overall this is an excellent cd which is easily recommended. Oh by the way, pay attention to James Spaulding. Why does he not get more recognition? He is another true individual who has been consistently fabulous for over thirty years.

I saw the David Murray (touring) Octet in Atlanta supporting this album. No Spaulding or Jackson onboard, but with Hugh Ragin and that evening's master of ceremonies, Craig Harris. They'd just flown in from Japan and though jet-lagged, tore it up. I bought the CD the following day. One of my favorite Murray recordings and one of my favorite concerts.