Keith Jarrett, "Carnegie Hall Concert," ECM

Muhal Richard Abrams/George Lewis/Roscoe Mitchell, "Streaming," PI Records

Randy Weston African Rhythms Trio, "Zep Tepi," Random Chance

Bud Shank, "The Bud Shank Big Band: Taking the Long Way Home," Jazzed Media

Rashied Ali, "Judgment Day," Survival Records

Bill Henderson, "Live at the Kennedy Center," Web Only Jazz

Fred Hersch, "In Amsterdam," Palmetto

Re-Issue of the Year: Charles Mingus, "At UCLA 1965," Sunnyside

2006 was a year of reminders. Ornette Coleman’s first record in a decade, Keith Jarrett’s first solo concert on American soil in nearly a decade, Sonny Rollins first studio recording since the passing of his wife and manager Lucille, as well as the establishment of his own web site and label, the return to the recording studio of pianist Muhal Richards Abrams in a trio originally recorded in the 1970’s, and Bill Henderson’s first recording as a leader in far too long.

There were many recommendable jazz vocal albums this year, from the widely heard Diana Krall meeting with the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra “From This Moment On” (Verve Records), to the lush Gladys Knight tribute album “Before Me” (Verve Records), to the debuts of Roberta Gambarini, “Easy to Love” on Groovin’ High Records, and Robin McKelle with a West Coast big band (Blue Lake played her “Night And Day” all summer) on “Introducing Robin McKelle” from Cheap Lullaby Records.

Patricia Barber’s album of originals, “Mythology” (Blue Note), shows lyrically through several character’s voices that the interpersonal travails of people in the post modern world have archetypal antecedents in mythology, and that classical mythological stories overlay in interesting ways the lives of musicians such as Nina Simone.

Karrin Allyson’s bop and post bop songbook “Footprints” (Concord Music) with the improvising voices of Nancy King and “Scatman Like No Others” John Hendricks was probably the most played vocal album on radio this year.

Yet Bill Henderson’s “Live at the Kennedy Center” is our pick for vocal album of the year because of it’s historical significance, his first as a leader in ages and his first concert recording in our library since he was captured with the Basie Band, the repertoire (even “Keep the Customer Satisfied,” but especially “That Old Black Magic”), the ageless quality of his voice and an unmatched stage presence.

Drummer Rashied Ali is remembered historically for his unique approach to drums developed with John Coltrane’s last performing bands. “Judgment Day” finds Ali bringing along mature young-ish musicians from New York including trumpeter Jumaane Smith and tenor saxophonist Lawrence Clark as well as an under the radar Chicago to New York pianist Greg Murphy and bassist Joris Teepe. The music is straight ahead, including Jaco Pastorius composition “Dania” providing the album’s burner, yet it is the unforced lyricism and musicality of Ali’s drumming, coming out of Max Roach in approach to timbre, that is the revelation available to the world outside of New York with this recording. Runners up include Jimmy Cobb’s recording on Marsalis Music, as well as Branford Marsalis’s Quartet recording “Braggtown” (Marsalis Music) which he debuted in part at St. Cecilia Music Society in 2006.

An amazing number of big band recordings were issued this year. In Spring The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra’s “Sacred Music of Duke Ellington” (a double CD from Origin Records) was a favorite, especially for the “It’s Freedom (The Freedom Suite).” The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra’s “Up From the Skies (The Music of Jim McNeely)” (Planet Arts Records) was a reminder that playing Jim McNeely’s arrangements is best left to a band that’s been doing it for a couple of decades. From California came The Chris Walden Big Band album “No Bounds” (Origin Records) with guest vocalist Tierney Sutton and Berlin-based trumpeter Till Bronner; and drummer Phil Kelly and The SW Santa Ana Winds “My Museum,” a project loaded with great soloists. The Dizzy Gillespie All Start Big Band, “Dizzy’s Business” (Manchester Craftsman Guild Jazz) caught Jon Faddis, Slide Hampton, James Moody and Jimmy Heath all celebrating Gillespie’s wide ranging big band repertoire (with vocalist Roberta Gambarini). And now at the end of the year comes Jimmy Heath’s “Turn Up the Heath” (Planet Arts) which showcases his body of memorable compositions with updated arrangements and a great combination of young and veteran to play them. In the midst of all that The Bud Shank Big Band recorded at LAX Four Points Sheridan Hotel, Los Angeles, on Jazzed Media Records from Littleton, Colorado, is a broad view of Shank’s invention in response to Artie Shaw, Swing, the music of Bob Florence and the Great American Song Book.

Lazaro Vega

Blue Lake Public Radio

300 East Crystal Lake Road

Twin Lake MI 49457

www.bluelake.org

WBLV FM 90.3/WBLU FM 88.9, Grand Rapids

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Love that. Played it the other night while doing a program on Tony Williams. Also the Paul Motian Band this year. No guitar recording on the list...well, there you are. It's hard to keep it to 10. I've added some comments on the rationale for the choices. Was hoping other people would post their top ten lists here, too.

I haven't had time yet to consider a top 10 for 2006. However, two cds that would definitely be on it that haven't been mentioned yet are "Time Lines" by Andrew Hill and "Momentum" by Dave Burrell. Both of these albums are filled w/ stunning compositions and beautiful playing.

h17660adb3s.jpgi03407sehi4.jpg

"Palm of Soul" by Kidd Jordan/Hamid Drake/William Parker would also get a nod as well.

h32296m6var.jpg

Whoops. Almost forgot... What top 10 list of 2006 would be complete without this one????

h34923z86nt.jpg

Edited by Chalupa

Most of the recordings I bought in 2006 were reissues. That's not a good thing, so one of my resolutions for 2007 is to listen to try and listen to more newly recorded music.

A couple 2006 "bests" that come to mind are:

Don Menza/John Bacon/Bobby Jones: Jack Rabbitt (Cadence) - great record, and a tip of the hat to Mr. Sangry for steering me to it.

Nat Su/Michael Kanan: Dreams and Reflections (Fresh Sound New Talent) - very fine sax/piano duo

• 3 weeks later...

I am a kind of compulsive jazz collector, maybe like many here are.

I tend to buy lots of jazz cds, from my teens. New and beautiful editions and cd boxes are strong temptations to me and every month they hit my bank account (Mosaic, my costant pain). This 2006 my favourite new cds may be Nels Cline "New Monastery", maybe Ted Nash "In The Loop" or Hill's "Timelines".

But somehow I'll remember this year because the very best new cd I listened through the year, the one I was more fond of, it's been downloaded (from EZT) and never sold anywhere. I have to bless and honor the north european guy who shared it with me and very few lucky ones, as much maybe I have to thank the great musicians he made me discover. I probably would not without this choice

This is that great -for me- one:

Mario Pavone Nu Trio - Live at Bimhuis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. May 17, 2002 (2cds).

This double cd home-made by a fan is really likely an fm recording from the legendary Amsterdam's Jazz Club. The sound is overall simply magnificient, brilliant almost like an official release (less well balanced, maybe). The chemistry between the players is thrilling! Particoulary between Pavone and pianist Peter Madsen. Their music is very swinging jet free, complex. As some of the music I love more, Pavone's gives great room for improvising with open structures and still swings and shows the knowledge of classic styles of jazz. This performance really started me on Mario Pavone, a great uncompromising double bass player I already knew from his contribution in Thomas Chapin trio. I buyed some cds (very good ones are Boom, Orange, Motion Picture with M.Musillami, Totem Blues, Op.Ed, Remembering Thomas - the only "NuTrio" outing, a geat one and likely the source of the greatest part in Bimuhis' repertoire). He's a really great player I wish I have a choice to see perform live with Madsen.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza