Gloria Coleman - Sweet Missy - New CD on Doodlin'

gloriacoleman.jpg

Just found it at CD Baby!!!!!

Wow!!!! Wow!!!!

Here's the page. The line forms on the left.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/gloriacoleman

Got mine on order already with ZERO hesitation. Only her third album in 45 years!

Gloria is a very nice, very independent, lady who plays a hell of a lot of organ. Everyone likes her and calls her Auntie Gloria. What more is it necessary to say?

MG

gloriacoleman.jpg

Wow!!!! Wow!!!!

Got mine on order already with ZERO hesitation. Only her third album in 45 years!

MG

Are we talking three as a leader or what? I've got Soul Sisters plus the LP she did with Leo Wright and KB, and a Muse session that Nat Simpkins is on, so that is three right there. Are there any other leader or sideman appearances?

gloriacoleman.jpg

Wow!!!! Wow!!!!

MG

Are we talking three as a leader or what? I've got Soul Sisters plus the LP she did with Leo Wright and KB, and a Muse session that Nat Simpkins is on, so that is three right there. Are there any other leader or sideman appearances?

Her third as a leader. The second was on Mainstream.

She also appears on two Hank Crawford CDs and a Bobbi Humphrey LP on - get this - Malaco Jazz, "City beat", which is really awful. She's only on one track of that. Nice pic of Bobbi on sleeve, though.

MG

Got to hear this last night and... has George had dental work? His attack sounds a little slack-jawed, which is totally out of character for him...

And Gloria's vocals...how old is she now? The net result is kinda like Moms Mabley impersonating late-70s Big Joe Turner impersonating Little Jimmy Scott... Her playing, though, is fine indeed.

I mean, I'm really glad that she got documented one more time, she's more than worthy, but I'm left with the uneasy feeling that this session should have been done 5-10 years ago or so to do everybody involved fuller justice.

You mean it's not?

I haven't heard the record...just LOVED the description!!! That painted an aural picture I can't get outta my mind!

All that said, I'm a HUGE Gloria Coleman fan. Definately going to get the CD. Number one...she hasn't recorded all that much, especially as a leader. And secondly, it's on Pete Fallico's label and he's a bad cat for making this record and deserves the support!

Edited by Soul Stream

You mean it's not?

I haven't heard the record...just LOVED the description!!! That painted an aural picture I can't get outta my mind!

All that said, I'm a HUGE Gloria Coleman fan. Definately going to get the CD. Number one...she hasn't recorded all that much, especially as a leader. And secondly, it's on Pete Fallico's label and he's a bad cat for making this record and deserves the support!

I agree; both to your assessment of the description and to all the rest. I don't care what the record's like, really. Hoping it will turn up this lunchtime.

MG