Good Copy, Bad Copy

Alexander

Thanks for the link - good piece of documentary.

The way that DJ compares painting and musik making in the beginning of the film doesn't quite make sense to me: He says giving free samples to people to make musik with is like giving free paint and brushes to people - that would make more artists. In Music that would mean giving instruments to people, not computers.

Call me old-fashioned, but for me music making still is the process of getting notes out of an instrument. All that computer generated stuff, no real musicians, just resamplers, remixers - their creativity is so limited. Take away their sound systems and they collapse to dust ...

At about 56 minutes into the film he says he's looking for the most minimal elements - that's the problem for me. I'm after sophistication and refinement. That whole world of masses with minimal taste (pardon the offense - not intened) and a creativity based on the sound reproduction and manipulation a computer and not the sound itself - it's not my world.