Now also on zweitausendeins.de ...

Ellington, Duke "THE REPRISE STUDIO RECORDINGS 1962-1965"

81 Tracks. Mit Johnny Hodges, Cootie Williams, Paul Gonsalves, Ray Nance, Billy Strayhorn. Digitally remastered. Rhino. 1976/2003. 5 CDs 49,99 EUR. Nr. 75716.

And:

Davis, Miles "THE COMPLETE JACK JOHNSON SESSIONS"

34 of the 42 tracks are previously unissued. 4-1/2 hours of brand new Miles Davis music. Plus 120 page deluxe booklet containing extensive essays by Miles Davis, Michael Cuscuna and Bill Milkowski. With rare photos of Miles & all of the musicians and complete discography of time period. Mit Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette u.a. Digitally remastered/24 Bit. 2003. 5 CDs 69,99 EUR. Nr. 75680.

And:

Basie, Count/& And his Orchestra "AMERICA'S #1 BAND! - The Columbia years."

89 tracks covering the 30's, 40's & 50's. 19 previously unreleased radio broadcasts. Mit Lester Young, Sweets Edison, Papa Joe Jones, Freddie Green, Coleman Hawkins, Billie Holiday u.a. Plus 92-seitiges Booklet mit raren Fotos. Digitally remastered/24 Bit. 2003. 4 CDs 39,99 EUR. Nr. 75717

I didn't buy the Davis and Basie, but I went for The Mulligan box which should be available again within 4 weeks. Together with my Teddy Wilson Mosaic order, Christmas will arrive very early this year (and there won't be any cash left for the actual Christmas later this year).

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

Thanks for the info, Deus. When reading the thread title I thought Mosaic was selling out on Zweitausendeins :huh:

The Jack Johnson box was way too expensive in most european stores (80-90 Euro, as opposed to $60 in the US). So the 2001 price is much better, but still higher than their previous offers on Miles box sets (10 Euro per CD).

Edited by Claude

The Jack Johnson box was way too expensive in most european stores (80-90 Euro, as opposed to $60 in the US). So the 2001 price is much better, but still higher than their previous offers on Miles box sets (10 Euro per CD).

I noticed that, too: Seems the labels are gettin' tougher with box sets.

Basie, Count/& And his Orchestra "AMERICA'S #1 BAND! - The Columbia years."

89 tracks covering the 30's, 40's & 50's. 19 previously unreleased radio broadcasts. Mit Lester Young, Sweets Edison, Papa Joe Jones, Freddie Green, Coleman Hawkins, Billie Holiday u.a. Plus 92-seitiges Booklet mit raren Fotos. Digitally remastered/24 Bit. 2003. 4 CDs 39,99 EUR. Nr. 75717

I saw it at the Frankfurt Saturn-Hansa branch at the same price.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this Ellington set at a Zweitausendeins shop today. It is a bizarre Mosaic-style set:

- It is a long black box, twice the size of a CD. No LP size booklet inside, obviously

- The front has a miniature reproduction of the Mosaic cover, and a red/white "Spiegel Edition" sticker below. Spiegel is the biggest german weekly news magazine (www.spiegel.de)

- the back has a description of the set in german

So it looks like Mosaic is now licensing it's artwork and liner notes after their license of the music has expired. This set is for the german market only, I doubt wether they would do that on the US market, as this is likely to damage Mosaic's reputation.

Well, that's the one I bought.

I'm quite happy with it, but I'd rather have the normal Mosaic jewel cases. In this "Spiegel Edition" which, by the way, has been available from the Spiegel Shop online for quite some time now (and has been advertised in their magazine since last year), the CDs are in cardboard sleeves which are inserted into slits in the inside front and back covers. I'll probably remove the CDs and put them into jewel cases. It's just a hassle with the covers and tracklists.

The booklet (as tall as the box) has the (translated) German version only notes from the Mosaic set (complete, as far as I can tell). There is a single black info sheet affixed to the backcover of the package by a piece of round tape, giving some general info and listing Mosaic as the copyright holder (distributed by "Warner Strategic Marketing International". Finally it states "Made in Germany by Warner Music Manufacturing Europe"

Image: front of the box (left), back of the box (center), front inside left (right)

ellington.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by deus62