Billy Cobham "Crosswinds'

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

hello. i was wondering if anyone has the wounded bird issue of billy cobham's "crosswinds"-which is a nice album by the way with john abercrombie and george duke among others.

and if you do have it-is the mastering bad in the sense that the soft songs are a lot softer than the more rocking songs. i realize that "heather" and "savannah the serene" are intended to be quieter, but i am talking to the extent where when i listen to this album i need to crank up "heather" and then put the volume back down for the next track-is this how the album was originally? or is this just a bad master? thanks for your time.

I think the original album suffered from the same problem as I recall. I had it on vinyl when it first came out and it appears that the problem was not corrected when moving it over to disc.The softer tunes were verrrrrry soft, and volume adjustment was necessary when going from the soft stuff to the more uptempo stuff. Very good disc, some nice bone by Garnett Brown also.

Guest akanalog

cool-i am not crazy then.

yeah this is a nice disk-cobham stays pretty inobtrusive for the most part and has one mercifully short solo piece.

it is annoying though to have to adjust the volume while listening.

You may want to attempt to make a cdr with volume adjustments. . .some burners and software, both pc and audio type, can accomplish this; I have recently gotten an HBH that does a nice job with level changes in both analog and digital domains. . . . I can conceive of you making a cdr that had the balance of both types of tracks just how you want it, and then you could just play that cdr rather than the cd itself.