X2- X-Men United

My father and brother went and saw it last night, and both said it was better than the first - much more action, especially involving Wolverine. My wife really wants to see it, so we're going in a couple hours. I'll post what I think later today, probably.

Just got back, and it was definitely much better than the first one. Better effects, better story, more action. I do have to say, however, that I thought it was about 20 minutes too long. If you like the comic or the first movie though, definitely go out and see it. It's a good movie overall.

Saw it today. A terrific film. Better than the first? Probably, though I liked the first one quite a bit. The plot's a bit hinky in spots (and I agree that it may be a touch too long), but the characterizations are spot-on and there are dozens of small details that will put a smile on the face of any X-Men comics fan.

Ray

I think the X-Men movie's greatest strength is it's cast. Full of top drawer talent who invest their characters with real emotion (unlike Michael Keaton's phoned-in Batman performance). McKellan and Stewart are, of course, masters of their craft. Having them aboard adds real class to the proceedings. However, for me, the standout performance came from the mercurial Alan Cummings who gave a real sense of depth to Nightcrawler (after Wolverine the one X-Men character I was really dying to see on the big screen. Thank goodness they got it right!), a character who could have been hackneyed in lesser hands. From his excellent German accent to his apparent sincerity in the character's faith, Cummings played a small but invaluable role in the film (everyone in the theater cheered when 'Crawler "bamfed" out of the plane to rescue Rogue. Speaking of which, she's got to get on the stick and absorb Carol Danver's powers soon! That wouldn't have happened if she could fly! Note: If you understood that last reference, you are as much of a geek as I am). It was also nice to see a cameo from Henry "The Beast" McCoy in one scene. He needs to be in the next X-Men movie!

Complaint: They managed to get Nightcrawler's nationality right. Why wasn't Colossus Russian?

Warning...Spoilers below:

So...Obviously the next film will deal with Phoenix. No way is Jean dead. But dare we hope that Stryker's last threat means that the Sentenels will finally appear in the next picture?

I also liked the way they brought Pyro into the Brotherhood. Let's get the Blob into the next picture!

Alexander, where was Hank McCoy?  I must have missed him.  Did they mention him by name in the film or only in the credits? 

Also, why do you say that Colossus wasn't Russian?

Hank McCoy is shown speaking about the mutant problem on the TV in the bar where Mystique rolls the prison guard. Blink and you'll miss him! His name is on the screen in front of him.

Colossus has a couple of lines, and he doesn't have a Russian accent.

Edited by Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

This is one very cool movie.

BUT I have to say I think I preferred the first one, by a hair. Action ain't the be all and end all to me, and the structure, tension, characterization of the first was in my opinion a bit better.

Which is to say I loved them both.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this movie a few weeks ago. I saw the first one and didn't remember much of it as far as characters and what had happened. There were no reminders in the second installment. I spent most of the time watching and wondering what the hell was happening. Even without the plot and characters in full memory....this movie just seemed like another huge waste of movie dollars. Mindless entertainment. The numbing and dumbing of America continues.

For 90% of any of these summer blockbusters, the title is different but the effects, lame plots and uninteresting character development is all the same. Whether it's Spiderman, The Hulk, Men IN black, sequals 2-5 of all of the above and all the other stuff..... It doesn't amount to much entertainment to me at this point.

I wonder if they're ever going to get around to doing a movie version of Alan Moore's "Top Ten." Of course, it would probably stink. But they're already coming out with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, so wether that's crap or not, if it makes money then look out for Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and on and on.

Oh uh, later Rogue is able to steal powers from a dying mutant that gives her super strength and flight permanently. At least that's how it worked in the comics iirc.

Actually, Rogue started out as a villian in the comic book. She was a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (under Mystique rather than Magneto) and she had a really bad attitude. She wound up having a feud with Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel, a seventies character, somewhat related to the Kree Captain Marvel, who never caught on) and aborbing her powers. Because Danvers was half Kree (an alien race) the transfer of power was perminent. She also perminently absorbed Carol's memories, which is what made Rogue into a good guy. She left the Brotherhood and joined the X-Men shortly after that. Carol Danvers did not die, and survived to have a very bad relationship with Rogue over the years.