May-na-ard! May-na-ard!

I was there for Maynard Ferguson's Big Bop Nouveau at Ronnie's on Tuesday.

What an awesome live band. Maynard plays with younger musicians - himself + 3 trumpets, trombone and 2 sax with piano, electric bass and drums.

The band is truly excellent, fantastic soloists who Maynard gives a lot of room to play in their preferred styles. Absolutely fantastic arrangements. And of course Maynard's high note solos.

This is the second time I have heard them and, as the first time, I'd have to say this was one of the best, if not the best, nights of live music I've ever been at. And a real piece of living history too going right back to the Kenton band. Truly intelligent music that never makes a vulgar or easy move, but a massive visceral impact - even the non jazz fans in my group were stunned and hugely impressed.

If you get the chance go - it is the best that is on offer whatever your preferred style of music.

I saw this band at the Blue Note in NYC a few months ago. It was fun and the band is tight, but if anyone else is going, don't expect Maynard to play much. He can barely get on stage without passing out, let alone blow a horn.

During the drum solo when the drummer was bringing it down soft and low in the middle, one lady blurts out, "He must be getting tired!" Maynard gave her a good razzing for that. :)

I remember seeing Maynard play at a county fair. They scheduled him at the same time as a dirt track race. Maynard didn't seemed to be too phased by this stupid scheduling decision. He was confident that he could play louder than the race cars and he was right!!! In spite of this annoyance Maynard put on a good show.

Maynard's always been good about letting the players in his band do their thing w/o a lot of outside interference. Sure, he has to LIKE your thing before you get the gig, but once you get it, he really gives you room, and that's a lot rarer in big band circles than one might think.

So, YES to Maynard, just on principle!

(...and can we get LIVE AT JIMMY'S reissued in this millenium?)

One good memory of Maynard. 1985 or so, I was in high school marching band and we competed in a Midwest band tournament with all the action taking place in Chicago's Soldier Field. That was by far the biggest place we ever marched in. That evening, after the competition, there were fireworks and Maynard put on quite a show. Our band split up and did conga lines snaking all through the seats in the stadium as he played. Great fun.

It didn't really turn me on to jazz though. I was listening to Brubeck and Monk in those years.

I was there for Maynard Ferguson's Big Bop Nouveau at Ronnie's on Tuesday.

What an awesome live band. Maynard plays with younger musicians - himself + 3 trumpets, trombone and 2 sax with piano, electric bass and drums.

The band is truly excellent, fantastic soloists who Maynard gives a lot of room to play in their preferred styles. Absolutely fantastic arrangements.

Just curious, was Chip McNeill the tenor player in the band? He's on the faculty here at Illinois and is Maynard's music director...CHIP KICKS ASS,...had the pleasure of taking 2 semesters of arranging with him this past year and have played in big band under his direction- I can't say enough positive about him.

I think a bari player from Illinois, Juan Turros, was also in Maynard's band lately.

In any event, Chip is brining in Jon Faddis next week for 3-4 nights of Jazz at Krannert Center.

I saw Maynard in the 80's and would like to catch him again if possible.

Here is the line up from the web site:

LEADER - MAYNARD FERGUSON

TRUMPET - PATRICK HESSION

TRUMPET - CARL FISCHER

TRUMPET - KEITH FIALA

TROMBONE - REGGIE WATKINS (Music Director)

SAXOPHONE - JUAN TURROS

SAXOPHONE - JULIO MONTERREY

PIANO - WILLIAM BONNESS

BASS - CRAIG BUTTERFIELD

DRUMS - STOCKTON HELBING

Edited by David Ayers

Some of these guys are pretty young - they are also really excellent!

The Bari player Juan is a recent U of Ill. graduate...a product the great new Jazz Studies program just starting up....adv. degrees now offered in jazz performance, composition, etc. Really, it's about time! U of Ill. has been a great music school for some time, but until now, no real program of study in such depth and detail. For the longest time, only 3 big bands and a few combos per semester were the norm!

I'm sure the other players in the band also have a strong pedegree as well...Actually, I think jazz education is still happening quite a bit & it's good to see new players coming up and being integrated into the scene. Wish I were one myself! :mellow:

That said, I think I'll cue up "Message from Newport" and that Emus label Lp - Maynard big band with "Cold Water Canyon Blues'" etc...after work tonight.

Tally ho!

Edited by LarryCurleyMoe