Booking flights.

Hey folks.

I literally--and by this I mean the real meaning of the wrod 'literally', not the more figurative sense that many people mean when they say 'literally' (ex: "I mean this guy was literally like nine feet tall!")--have been looking at flights online for several hours now. I can't seem to find a three-way flight from Austin-to-Kansas City-to-DC for under $360. I feel like I've looked everywhere (Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, the individual airlines themselves, etc).

Either I was naive about the price that such a flight pattern would involve or shit got expensive really fast. :angry:

From my experience, if you attempt to book a flight with less than three weeks remaining till the departure date, the price can go up.

I flew several times, last year, between Tucson, Arizona and Columbus, Ohio. The price of tickets was several dollars higher during the summer months than during the Spring/Fall months.

I've read that the increased price of oil has been passed to the consumer by way of increased airline ticket prices.

Edited by wesbed

I've read that the increased price of oil has been passed to the consumer by way of increased airline ticket prices.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well.

I always found the best prices using Expedia. I'd get Expedia's best price for a given flight, then check the same flight on the airline's own web site. Sometimes the airline would price their own flight better, most times not.

I flew about seven times, last year, all for pleasure and paid-for by me. I was able get reasonable prices by planning ahead searching various sites.

I would think a three-way flight would increase the price too.

Edited by wesbed

I always found the best prices using Expedia. I'd get Expedia's best price for a given flight, then check the same flight on the airline's own web site. Sometimes the airline would price their own flight better, most times not.

You and me both, brother. For whatever reason, Expedia is always the cheapest (as far as I've experienced, anyways). And yes. If you jot down the flight number and go directly to the airline's website you can usually save a few bucks by cutting out the middle-man.

I'm sure you're right about the three-way plan but I didn't imagine it would be $360(!).

I'm sure you're right about the three-way plan but I didn't imagine it would be $360(!).

I believe $360 is a reasonable (even good) price.

Then again, you wear a shirt with shoulder straps and a winged pin on your chest. Nice hat, pilot! I appreciate it when you give us the weather forecast over the intercom. ;)

Then again, you wear a shirt with shoulder straps and a winged pin on your chest. Nice hat, pilot! I appreciate it when you give us the weather forecast over the intercom. ;)

I don't care if the pilot's dressed like Bozo the Clown as long as he/she knows how to fly a jet airplane safely. :P

Have you tried Priceline or a similar name-your-own-price deal? With them, you can sometimes get a better fare as the date of your flight approaches, the opposite of what happens with the airlines. I think the reason for this is that there are still empty seats that don't get bought when the airlines raise their published fares.

If you are a student, it couldn't hurt to take a look at studentuniverse.com .

Have you tried Priceline or a similar name-your-own-price deal? With them, you can sometimes get a better fare as the date of your flight approaches, the opposite of what happens with the airlines. I think the reason for this is that there are still empty seats that don't get bought when the airlines raise their published fares.

According a reservationist at American Airlines, if you buy a ticket through Priceline (or other like sites), if there is a problem with the ticket, if you get sick, etcetera, there will be no refund issued by anybody. So, use Priceline/Hotwire at your own risk.