Ben Allison

montg

I picked up the new Ben Allison, "Buzz" over the weekend. His compositions are pretty distinctive--if you've heard him before, you could probably identify this new album in a blindfold test after about one measure. A lot of the songs on this seem to be more about soundscapes and tone poems than anything else. Which is fine with me.. I like it a lot.

Not sure yet how I feel about the Beatles' cover 'Across the Universe'. The kind of song that sticks in your head whether you want it there or not. On the other hand, a great version of an Andrew Hill composition, 'Erato'.

Has anyone else picked this up yet?

Interesting album cover you use as your ID Montg. A fellow Cockburn fan I assume

Dgstrane,

Yes--since 'Humans'. :tup There's been a lot since then but I think it's still my favorite Cockburn album. 'How I spent my Fall vacation', 'Rose above the sky'...great stuff. I imagine the Bush administration is driving BC nuts--maybe it'll compel another album from him sooner rather than later.

If you've liked the other Allison albums, I'm sure you'll like this one.. a similar approach and a lot of the same players from the Jazz Composers Collective that have previously appeared.

Yes--since 'Humans'.  :tup  There's been a lot since then but I think it's still my favorite Cockburn album.  'How I spent my Fall vacation', 'Rose above the sky'...great stuff.  I imagine the Bush administration is driving BC nuts--maybe it'll compel another album from him sooner rather than later.

Yeah, me too. Went to college in Buffalo in the late 70s and discovered him on the Toronto radio station I used to listen to. "Humans" is also my fave of his and one of my all-time fave albums period.

Agree with your comments about BC and the Bush administration. I know he did visit Iraq earlier this year to gain the perspective of the typical Iraqi in the street. Wouldn't be surprised if a song or two came out of that trip.

In case you're interested, there's a lot of trading of BC's shows online, both from recent tours as well as tours from as far back as the 70s.

PS-Thanks for the tip on the Allison. Plan to add it to my collection shortly.

I'm very partial to Cockburn's Circles In The Stream live set.  The version of Joy Will Find A Way with marimba is incredibly lovely.

Yeah, I like that one a lot as well.

Two of my favorite songs from that album and era are "Lord Of The Starfields" and "Starwheel". He's been playing the former on his current tour.

Hey guys what about mr Allison, :o

I was initially shocked by Peace Pipe as some kind of world jazz sell out but it's grown on me considerably.

Compared to Riding the nuclear tiger its a much tamer affair, lacking the grunt power that makes RTNT so appealing.

how does Buzz stack up?

I would say that Buzz is tamer than the Nuclear Tiger. If anyone is new to Allison, I'd say Nuclear Tiger is the place to start. One cut from 'Buzz' that I recall, 'Green Al, has a pretty good groove, but a lot of the CD (which is relatively short at about 44 minutes) is kind of moody--somber in spots, even, but certainly not in an overwhelming way. Of course, this is just my opinion and it'll be helpful to hear other reactions.

I'm very partial to Cockburn's Circles In The Stream live set. The version of Joy Will Find A Way with marimba is incredibly lovely

I like this a lot too. A number of years ago my wife and I listened to a cassette of this over and over as we drove through Sedona in Colorado and it evokes those memories when I hear it.

Right, but the Colorado River runs through it, so, um.. I know that's a stretch, but I'm trying to save face. When I was in Sedona, I knew it was in AZ. But that was 15 years ago. Sedona is Coloradoesque.

Ben Allison is cool. :D