Uhhh... they're gone!

Well, I hate to bring down the wrath of Mosaicdom on my head, but the Teddy Wilson is one set I'm pretty sure I'll pass on.  (And why am I already having regrets about posting this?)

I don't have plans to buy the Teddy Wilson either. At least, I've not yet been inspired to do so. On the other hand, I didn't plan to purchase any of the last four OOP Mosaics (I'm including the New Orleans Jazz box as an OOP box ). I ended up with ALL of the recent OOP Mosaics. As soon as I write that I won't be purchasing the Teddy Wilson box, I'll then find a reason I need to purchase it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have plans to buy the Teddy Wilson either. At least, I've not yet been inspired to do so. On the other hand, I didn't plan to purchase any of the last four OOP Mosaics (I'm including the New Orleans Jazz box as an OOP box ). I ended up with ALL of the recent OOP Mosaics. As soon as I write that I won't be purchasing the Teddy Wilson box, I'll then find a reason I need to purchase it.

Then you haven't noticed who did the mastering. :lol:

Then you haven't noticed who did the mastering. :lol:

That's it...slowly...now a little yank to set the hook...

:lol:

Then you haven't noticed who did the mastering.

I really don't want to say that I will not buy the Teddy Wilson. I'll be eating my words before the end of this year. I know it. My defense, however, about not purchasing the Teddy Wilson Mosaic regardless of who remastered it (and, no, I didn't realize who remastered it till just a few seconds ago) is that I'll not be purchasing The Four Freshmen Mosaic either. :P

As soon as I write that I won't be purchasing the Teddy Wilson box, I'll then find a reason I need to purchase it.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from DrJ soon.

You shaddup, Free For All. It ain't free for me, this Mosaic stuff.

The same goes for you, Jazzmoose. Just, shut the hell up. Zip it.

I'm still holding DrJ personally responsible if I can't make my mortgage payment.

Bwwaaaahhhhh hhhhaaaaaaaa hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

:P:P:P

Jazzmoose, are you nuts?? The Wilson set is absolutely essential! No true jazz fan would willingly do without this set!!

(Just to save everyone time...)

My friend, I´m afraid I have to agree here... <_<

GO AND GET IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(no fees from Mosaic, believe me)

:g

Now seriously, if you like piano trios and/or if you like small group swing, this is a great collection of music. Very homogeneus ("too homogeneus" some may say), but if you take it in small doses, you won´t regret this purchase.

"Teddy Wilson was the Bill Evans of the swing era"

Edited by EKE BBB

Jazzmoose, are you nuts??  The Wilson set is absolutely essential!  No true jazz fan would willingly do without this set!!

Shaddup! Shut the fek up, all of you!!!

I don't need another Mosaic box on my want list.

Fek me.

May I suggest the HRS sessions as well? :w

B)

....and you did get the Max Roach, didn't you, wesbed?  It's a MUST-HAVE!!

....and also the Stitt!

I'm already feeling inadequate because AfricaBrass got his Stitt while I don't yet have my Stitt. Now that I think about it, though, who gives a Stitt? Ya know?

Stitt's you or no one. Stitt don't mean a thing. Stitt could happen to you. I didn't know what time Stitt was. Stitt's a raggy waltz.

I'm going to have to get in the mood to beat the Stitt outta somebody if they don't shut the freak up. :P

I figured out, several years ago, that if you enjoy something, especially with a hobby, you can NEVER get enough of it. I can never get enough Mosaics even though I have several Mosaic disks that I've not yet listened to.

But, do I have 'issues?' Most definitely not. :rolleyes:

There are certain Mosaics that I desire more than others. The Mosaics I desire will change with my mood and any recently acquired jazz knowledge/experience. The only Mosaic I don't want is The Four Freshmen box. I nearly purchased the Bobby Hackett on my last Mosaic order, then decided against it, that there were other, much more desireable Mosaic boxes available. I never thought I'd be interested in the Hackett set.

I've come to the realization, due to my great interest and enjoyment of the music, that I'd like to hear/experience/own ALL the available Mosaic boxes. However, I don't care if I never hear The Four Freshmen box (sorry, Malcolm :ph34r:!).

Mosaic boxes remind me that the world is a good place. That it's still worth taking the time to enjoy things. That there are still fine things in the world that need to be examined, learned about, and appreciated.

A couple of weeks ago, when an order of three new Mosaic sets arrived at my front door, I spent TWELVE HOURS, straight, listening to the music, reading the manuals, looking at the pictures, and scanning the Organissimo forum on my computer.

Edited by wesbed

I´ve rated my Mosaics wish-list from: 1.-Highest Priority to 3.-Lowest Priority

with an additional rule: PURCHASE THE RUNNING LOW/LAST CHANCE ITEMS, UNLESS THEY´RE IN THE LOWEST PRIORITY LIST (well, the last part of the rule is not always carried out) :P

I´ve rated my Mosaics wish-list from: 1.-Highest Priority to 3.-Lowest Priority with an additional rule: PURCHASE THE RUNNING LOW/LAST CHANCE ITEMS, UNLESS THEY´RE IN THE LOWEST PRIORITY LIST (well, the last part of the rule is not always carried out)

I can't make a Mosaic wish list with an effective priority system. First, I desire ALL the Mosaics (except for The Four Freshmen). Second, the Mosaics I desire the most can change as my mood changes.

For example, I was recently enjoying the Louis Armstrong Hot Five and Seven Recordings along with the Bix/Tram/Tea Mosaic. As a result, I wanted the Venuti/Lang Mosaic. Then Elvin died and I purchased the Elvin Jones Mosaic.

I never wanted the Illinois Jacquet Mosaic so I didn't purchase that one. I didn't plan to get the Vee Jay boxes, then purchased them when they went to Last Chance (I'm very glad I got the Vee Jay boxes!). I kind of got into a guitar mood and wanted the Joe Pass Mosaic.

It never ends.

You´re right. My preference also varies from time to time. But I try to priorize them, searching through my collection to see which material I previously have.

i.e.: I passed on the Vee Jay Kelly/Chambers.

It was in my Low Priority rating, because:

-I had about half the material in very good sound (to these non-audiophile ears)

-Almost all the rest is easily available through Fresh Sound-Vee Jay reissues

-The high ammount of alternates somehow upsets me

These are some of the criteria I use. Of course, they´re all stupid criteria :wacko:

Here's how I'm gonna save up to finance :angry: Mosaics for the rest of the year.

Forego $25 worth of junk food, soft drinks, beer per week and maybe catch a bus once a week instead of drive (save on parking and gas). With about 30 weeks left in the year, that would be a nice saving of at least $750. Ignoring shipping, that should be able to get me one each of the Stitt, Condon Mob, Eldridge, Bailey, Tram/Bix/Tea and Joe Pass sets.

Now, the thought of having all those sets is just ..... bliss ^_^

Should lose some pounds too! B)

Here's how I'm gonna save up to finance :angry: Mosaics for the rest of the year.

Forego $25 worth of junk food, soft drinks, beer per week and maybe catch a bus once a week instead of drive (save on parking and gas). With about 30 weeks left in the year, that would be a nice saving of at least $750. Ignoring shipping, that should be able to get me one each of the Stitt, Condon Mob, Eldridge, Bailey, Tram/Bix/Tea and Joe Pass sets.

Now, the thought of having all those sets is just ..... bliss ^_^

Should lose some pounds too! B)

LAL, if you simply quit eating, you´d probably save up for many Mosaics more.... :w