The Transits of Venus

'Splain this to me, Lucy. Didn't know about it until I went to Google, saw this venus.gif and clicked on the butterscotch lozenge that had a speck of dirt on it.

Has this been publicized?

Is it really a big deal?

Is this why my dog is growing horns and my chckens a-done stopped a-layin'?

It's just one of those astronomical events that may occur once or twice or never in one's life. You see, the butterscotch lozenge is the sun and the speck of dirt is Venus moving across it (from the perspective of Earth). I'm sure that's why your dog has grown horns, your chicken egg production has ceased, and we both can increase our post counts by one.

I like how I first heard about this on the local news at 11:30 PM Monday -- saying it would be visible from 4:30 to 7:00 AM Tuesday -- and you could view it with welding glasses "available at any welding supply store" -- well, NYC has a lot of all-night emporiums, but welding supplies did not seem to be among them... :angry:

I like how I first heard about this on the local news at 11:30 PM Monday -- saying it would be visible from 4:30 to 7:00 AM Tuesday -- and you could view it with welding glasses "available at any welding supply store" -- well, NYC has a lot of all-night emporiums, but welding supplies did not seem to be among them... :angry:

I wouldn't dare use welding glasses.

When I was a kid, I'd use the pinhole method. Pinhole in carboard A, project onto cardboard B.

I saw quite a few eclipses this way. It's the safest way to look at the sun.

:angry:

Now, now, maren, let's see if we can take that frown and turn it upside down...

Here we go!

WELDING%20GOGGLES.gif

I'd offer more, but my cousin Tick is out on the Bowles lease fixin' a leaky pipeline. But if I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask, ok?

When I was a kid, I'd use the pinhole method. Pinhole in carboard A, project onto cardboard B.

I always use the pinhole for eclipses, but can you see the little dot of Venus that way?

BTW, what's really cool is all the little crescent-shapes made on the sidewalk by the sun shining down through the "pinholes" of overlapping tree leaves during a partial eclipse:

:angry:

Now, now, maren, let's see if we can take that frown and turn it upside down...

Here we go!

WELDING%20GOGGLES.gif

I'd offer more, but my cousin Tick is out on the Bowles lease fixin' a leaky pipeline. But if I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask, ok?

Aw, Jim, THANK yew!

I always use the pinhole for eclipses, but can you see the little dot of Venus that way?

Yes, you should be able to see that dot. I remember projecting an image that was 6 to 12 inches across.