Geri Alan, Chick Corea & Marcus Belgrave

B. Goren.

All three artists are celebrating their Birthday today.

Geri Alan was born on 1957, Chick Corea was born on 1941 and Marcus Belgrave on 1936. Geri Alan is one of important pianist of the contemporary jazz. During the last year I put my hands on almost everything she recorded and every time I listen to her I discover something new. I like specially her trio recordings with Haden & Motian.

Marcus Belgrave is a little bit a riddle for me: Although he recorded with many artist as one of their sideman (and always sounds great!), he has almost not recorded as a leader and I think it's too bad. Did you know that Geri Alan was his student? According to the results, he did a very good job. I first discovered him when I was listening to Junko Onishi (Piano Quintet Suite) and later on to Horace Tapscott (Aiee! the Phantom).

Anyway, happy birthday and all the best to all of them.

Marcus Belgrave was one of the famous Ray Chales' group in the late 50s. I can't think of him without thinking of Ray Charles, Fathead Newman and Hank Crawford. They were a GREAT team together. Belgrave appears on many of Fathead Newman's and Hank Crawford's recordings, so the great tradition of Ray Charles goes on.

And let's not forget Curtis Amy's Katanga! and Way Down

Marcus has several dates as a leader, though mostly on smaller labels. His most recent recording under his own name that I'm aware of is his nonet tribute to Louis Armstrong, which will perform at the 12th Annual Sutton's Bay Jazz Festival (north of Traverse City on the Leelanau Penninsula) in July.

You might check out Parkwood Records of Toronto to see other dates under his own name.

Here he is with Doc Cheatham: http://www.jazzology.com/item_detail.php?id=JCD-324

Other sideman dates include McCoy's The Legend of the Hour on Columbia; a Mickey Tucker date on Muse; and a Kirk Lightsey recording on Criss Cross.

Over the weekend Belgrave peformed a concert in Detroit, including a rendition of "Georgia" dedicated to Brother Ray.

Belgrave remains one of the most dedicated jazz educators on the planet -- his interface with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's student program is one of the most recent examples. Geri Allen, James Carter, Kenny Garrett, Rodney Whittaker, Regina Carter and just about any of the young players to come out of Detroit in the last 20 years probably played with or learned from Belgrave in some way.

You might check out a regional (Great Lakes) pianist named Steve Sandner who hired Belgrave as a sideman for recording, including a version "Let The Good Times Roll."

Edited by Lazaro Vega

I've been on somewhat of a Chick Corea tear the last few months-I'm really enjoying his most recent trio record, Past, Present and Futures, and his most recent Origin record, Change. Both are more exciting than the live at the Bluenote double disc tribute (the hybrid SACD, sorry I can't remember the name right now!)