Amazon Reviews

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

I hope Nate won't mind but I noticed that he's contributed a treasure-trove of reviews to Amazon and I thought I'd bring them to the attention of the board.

Nate Dorward's Reviews

About Nate Dorward

Anyone know of other Amazon reviewers we should get to know?

ON THE EDIT: Feel free to blow your own horn if you've posted reviews of which you're proud.

Edited by Chaney

B000006OBR.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A Masterful Example of the Art Of Singing, May 21, 1999

Reviewer: A music fan

For those intrested in the TECHNIQUE of Sinatra's singing, this album is revelatory. Sinatra functions as what Sun Ra called a "sound scientist" in that every line, word, even SYLABLE of each song is sung deliberately nuanced and inflected, both lyrically and melodically. The amount of DETAIL in the singing here is stunning-even by Sinatra's own standards. Of course, none of this would matter if the music lacked feeling. Don't worry-this is probably Sinatra's most consistently soulful singing since the "Nice & Easy" set and arguably his most emotionally mature work ever. Two bummers, though: 1-short playing time, but don't let that stop you; and 2-the depth of the work done here makes you ponder, with not a little sadness at what could/should have been, the emptiness of so much (but by no means all) of his later, post Capitol work. No worry here,though-this one is infinitely deep and majestically real.

I seldom miss a chance to blow Bill Coleman's horn.

Bill Coleman, August 22, 2002

Reviewer: moldyfig (see more about me) from State College, PA United States

Trumpeter Coleman, strongly influenced by Louis Armstrong, belongs to that generation of jazz musicians (He was born in 1904) who set the standard for instrumental performance in the 1930s. But for the fact that he spent 80% of his career in Europe he would today be one of the icons of early jazz, comparable in stature to Coleman Hawkins, Red Allen, or Benny Carter. Unlike so many of his contemporaries Coleman was a true long distance runner: this date, recorded in England in 1967, finds him in great form, not at all enfeebled by advancing age. Listen to him on the old warhorse "Indiana", a song he must have played a thousand times before this: he effortlessly spins off four hot choruses, sings a couple more (the second scatted and very boppish), and then, after a piano interlude, takes it out with a pair of choruses that are like an instruction manual on swing and swinging. A welcome release.

I write the occasional Amazon review while I'm listening through headphones at work; at least then I can feel like I accomplished something by the end of the day. I try to review the recordings that don't have any or many reviews. I also only review the recordings I really like so most of my reviews are 5 stars - I could give some 1 stars reviews but Kenny Geez has so many 5 star reviews that my 1 star review wouldn't pull the average down enough to make it worth my bile.

My reviews and my Listmania lists.

I will put in a thumbs up for Alan Lankin's reviews on his jazzmatazz site. I don't always agree with them, which is great, and they always tell me what I need to know about the recordings.

I like the writing of that "A music fan" a lot.

I contributed some reviews to the Mosaic site. . . . I like those because they don't list who the contributor is! :)

I got amazing words of praise from a real bonafide excellent reviewer I admire immensely for a review I did of the Eddie Gale Blue Notes reissued on Water. . . I was floored and awed and felt so good, though I don't think it was deserved! I am proud of the reviews though because it's so damned hard for me to write within AAJ's "guidelines" (I personally disagree with their general slant) and they seemed to think I pulled it off. I've given up since.

Here's the Water reviews if anyone is interested.

Eddie Gale on Water

Thanks for the kind words on the reviews. There are a lot of good reviewers who toss things to Amazon (as well as a lot of not-so-good reviewers of course--ever come across the ubiquitous Mister Maxxxxx?). I think I have about 40 people listed as "friends" on my page who are mostly people whose writing I like.