The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

I don't know. . . rolling over? Probably too much effort!

theatre1839288.jpg

I believe that--if we're talking about the fat Elvis and not the old one, that the expression would be "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down."

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest akanalog

notes from a david murray show i was downloading earlier today. i did not write this but it is from the seeder...

This recording dates from the period where Murray was divorcing himself from a brief

flirtation with the music of the Grateful Dead. At the early show, one particularly

lame-brained wookie shouted out for 'Shakedown Street' and an obviously frustrated

Murray replied "I ain't playing that cracker shit no more'. The opening banter of this

late show recording ("anybody wanna shoot me", "they all left") is a reference to

that episode

notes from a david murray show i was downloading earlier today. i did not write this but it is from the seeder...

This recording dates from the period where Murray was divorcing himself from a brief

flirtation with the music of the Grateful Dead. At the early show, one particularly

lame-brained wookie shouted out for 'Shakedown Street' and an obviously frustrated

Murray replied "I ain't playing that cracker shit no more'. The opening banter of this

late show recording ("anybody wanna shoot me", "they all left") is a reference to

that episode

This isn't very surprising. David has always been an opportunist and a bit of back stabber. I first met David in 1976 when he moved to Manhattan and lived with Stanley Crouch, his mentor from California. David burst upon the scene as a young lion and hooked up with Sunny Murray and anyone else who would have him. He played the game as magnificently as he did the tenor. His hook up with the Dead had less to do with his musical inclinations than his desire to get their fans to buy his records. After all, it worked well for Branford Marsalis--though he played with the Dead because he liked to. David used to pull of all sorts of bullshit. He once got Dan Serro to tape him for an LP and then took the tapes and sent them top Europe as samples for Black Lion. Dan never got his tapes back, nor was he reimbursed. The list goes on and on. The Dead, pure and simple, were a use. As it is, I don't think he ever got "that cracker shit" down.

Guest akanalog

not having heard any of the murray dead stuff or the brandford dead stuff (well i heard that many years ago but 90s dead isn't my thing) i can't really comment but it is funny that some jazz musicians have embraced this particular culture of music listeners and have probably became all the wealthier for it (medeski, martin and wood and john scofield as two examples). though i guess i can see how someone in murray's shoes-that kind of following would definitely ruin his credibility in certain circles whereas the musicians i just mentioned weren't trying to be in those circles or couldn't gain admittance for obvious reasons.

I don't mean to doubt Murray's abilities (though I've read some vigorous debates)--I used to love to see him in the seventies--always blew the house down--I also know that his eyes have always been on the gold ring. First, he's released more albums than McDonalds has served burgers. Second: I remember his stating within a few years of arriving that he wouldn't play for less than 10,000 dollars. I don't think he always got it, but he tried. Not that there's anything wrong with earning a good living playing music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's just always been a bit brash and often careless with his words. I, too, don't like the 90's dead, but of all the guest saxophonists, I like Murray the least. His "Dark Star" release is one of the weakest in his canon, though it's still available at dead.net.

Guest akanalog

there was discussion of a satchel paige project or something weir was supposed to be helping murray on which didn't pan out which might have added to the issue? i don't know what this is about....

there was discussion of a satchel paige project or something weir was supposed to be helping murray on which didn't pan out which might have added to the issue? i don't know what this is about....

Monkeys see, monkeys do. Jerry played on an Ornette Coleman disc. It wouldn't surprise me to see Bobby and David try to do the same. David Murray playing "Me and My Uncle"? Hmmmm.

The Satchel Paige project had a tortured history. I think Murray started it with a then-girlfriend. Their breakup derailed it. The attempt to finish it off with Weir came later. I don't know that it was ever finished. Murray did perform one song from it, "When the Monarchs Come to Town," in Kansas City on two different occasions in the mid-90s. He dedicated it to Buck O'Neil, who was in the audience.

that episode

Interesting that this person who seeded the late show, and presumedly was at both shows, didn't seed a tape of this exchange but does remember it verbatim. I mean what happened after he allegedly said that?? I can't see anyone saying "cracker shit" at a show and not get called out on it.

I'd file this story under Apocryphal.

Edited by Chalupa

[quote

Interesting that this person who seeded the late show, and presumedly was at both shows, didn't seed a tape of this exchange but does remember it verbatim. I mean what happened after he allegedly said that?? I can't see anyone saying "cracker shit" at a show and not get called out on it.

I'd file this story under Apocryphal.

Guest akanalog

oh come on....

any "crackers" there love that shit. they would not have minded being called "crackers" i bet.

they would have been amused and possibly felt more legit even being there at the time.

oh come on....

any "crackers" there love that shit. they would not have minded being called "crackers" i bet.

they would have been amused and possibly felt more legit even being there at the time.

I'm a cracker and I'm proud. :crazy:

Hell of a find Jazzbo. I've been wanting to see this again for years. I couldn't believe it when a friend told me they were going to be on Playboy After Dark. I was sure it was a prank. What a hoot! And they say the boys dosed the bunnies. Too bad St. Stephen is so heavily edited. But all in all, what a snapshot. Thanks!

You're welcome.

I was surprised to see this available as well. . . was looking at the Steve Hoffman forum that gets talked up here and saw this link in a thread.

Too bad they didn't play "Me and My Uncle." :g

Probably the only time they didn't play Me and My Uncle. Of course, the royalties kept Papa John Philips

alive and sniffing all those years.

Didn't Papa John take the royalties and go into the pizza biz with his uncle?

They threw him out of the pizza biz because he kept stealing the flour, I think.

But seriously, folks. Search around on the Web a little and you can find a couple of Bit Torrents of that Playboy After Dark video. (TC gets more screen time than Pigpen!)

Didn't Papa John take the royalties and go into the pizza biz with his uncle?

They threw him out of the pizza biz because he kept stealing the flour, I think.

But seriously, folks. Search around on the Web a little and you can find a couple of Bit Torrents of that Playboy After Dark video. (TC gets more screen time than Pigpen!)

Reminds me of that old SNL skit with the Greek restaurant with the famous line "no Coke, Pepsi"... but in Papa John's case it would be "no Pepsi, Coke."

Speaking of Playboy. Have any of you watched that reality show on "E" that shows life in the Playboy mansion. It's Grandpa Hef and his young girlfriends. Weird stuff! It was strange when the grandmother of one of Hef's girlfriends visited. She looked younger than Hef... :ph34r:

I must say I do love that version of Mountains Of The Moon on Playboy After Dark.