• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wayelll.....

It took my order just fine!

;)

Someone found this backdoor page to the Grateful Dead store. It's a preorder page that is NOT ready to take your order. Not sure when they will, but here's the text.

"Grateful Dead - Winterland 1973 - The Complete Recordings

$69.95

When Dick’s Picks began, folks said they wanted every note of a show, and now Dick’s Picks moves to the next level, just as the Fillmore West box did for multi-track vault releases: Our next package, “Winterland 1973,” will be a 9-CD package that covers every note from all three nights of the November 9-10-11, 1973, weekend.

With the first record for their brand new independent record company, Wake of the Flood, in stores on October 15th, the Dead were in a great place in late 1973, and the playing shows it. They could do it all, from country western (“Big River”) to remarkable jams (“Playing” into “Uncle John’s” into “Dew” and back into “Uncle John’s” and then into “Playing”) to amazing deep space –Sunday’s “Dark Star.”

This is also acoustically special; the two track tapes have gotten a sonic bath and deep facial that has them sounding better than you could ever hope.

For additional information on the mastering process of the Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings click here

All pre-orders of "Winterland 1973-The Complete Recordings" taken before the ship date will receive an exclusive bonus CD featuring the bulk of the Grateful Dead's show in Cincinnati, OH, on December 4, 1973, including the entirety of the second set and highlights from the first set. This bonus CD has been mastered from the original master reel-to-reel tapes in HDCD, and will not be made available anywhere else at any cost."

As Roger Daltrey once said, "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Here's the link (not sure how long it will be available.)

Winterland details

Again, do not attempt to order yet. This was stumbled upon and can't currently be accessed through the front door of the store.

I AM SOOOOO HAPPY! :):):)

Wayelll.....

It took my order just fine!

;)

No sh*t? I'm tempted to go ahead try too.

This was really needed. The 1st 2 discs of 11-11 has 2 cassette gens, the epic 3rd disc has one. I had to trade (and finally download) for 3 copies to get rid of all those little pops that appear on some copies. 11-10 had vicious cuts in Let It Grow & Sugar Magnolia. Eyes & Sunshine on 11-09 aren't complete either. There's quite a bit of hiss too in all the shows and they aren't as (in old Dead parlance) crispy as other '73s.

Read elsewhere someone clicked on thru and the shipping date is targeted as May 1st. Hopefully they'll make more copies than the Fillmore '69. This will be a much bigger upgrade than the '69 too. And as a bonus I've never heard 12-4-73. It's like they're reading my mind man... :blink::D

I ordered as well. 1973. . . .I'm broke and shouldn't have done this but I can't help myself.

That's a bad Jazzbo!

As to all this crap about the mighty Pig Pen, be informed that in between each tune is a snippet of Pigpen singing "The Rub" from 1971, Backwards. Live with it.

I must admit, I'd never heard much about this stand. How does it stack up to other '73 shows, and is the who run as outstanding as the '69 run? Certainly are some tasty choices, and the material was new, fresh, and exciting.

Bring it on.

I must admit, I'd never heard much about this stand. How does it stack up to other '73 shows, and is the who run as outstanding as the '69 run? Certainly are some tasty choices, and the material was new, fresh, and exciting.

Bring it on.

On 11-10-73 they do the Playing sandwich (Playin'>UJB>Dew>UJB>Playin') that they performed only 3 times. Another has been released on DP 24 (Cow Palace 3/23/74.) The other one they played on 11-17-73.

11-11-73 is one of the elite Dark Stars, and for those who like them pretty rather than scary it is a favorite. (Hey, I like mine both ways, but this is a great one.) The Mind Left Body Jam that follows is continues the beautiful exploration finally meandering into Eyes. It's one of those great moments...shucks, I'm almost getting teary-eyed thinking about this gettin' officialized. :g

The 9th tends to get overlooked because of its more famous neighbors, but any show that has a WRS>Eyes>China Doll can't be all bad. And a Sunshine too.

If you're a '73 slut November-December is usually considered the peak (though there's plenty to love from other months too.) So to plunk down smack dab in the 2nd week in November at the "home base" of Winterland is just so divine! Especially with tapes that could really benefit from professional treatment that also contained cuts and patches. The link to the sonic process on the page makes it sound like a more sophisticated treatment than Buster playin' with Cool Edit. :lol:

WOO HOO, nothin' like reliving Nov. '73 when summer starts kickin' in!

Help? I can't find it on the site whatsoever...

Interesting - the link above no longer takes you to the musictoday site but now the front of the gdstore. As noted the "hidden page" was successfully taking orders (I went ahead and got the usual confirm from the Dead store.)

I reckon fairly soon they'll make the official announcement. I'm sure someone will post here when they get the email for those who aren't on their mailing list. If you aren't might be a good time sign yourself up for some official Dead spam. ;)

Release date is targeted as May 1st.

They are not saying how limited it is this time around. I'm guessing it may be a little less limited this time around.

I told y'all not to order yet. (I ended up ordering too.) I haven't gotten this email yet but a friend of mine did.

"Dear Dead Head,

This weekend an order was placed at www.GDStore.com using your email

address. Unfortunately you reached a page that was not intended to be

viewed by the public, as it contained preliminary information for a

product that is still under consideration for release. Grateful Dead

Productions has not made a decision regarding pricing, full track

listing, or mix for the Winterland 1973 Box Set, so the product has not

yet been finalized for release and we have no further information about

when this product will be available. Your order will be voided and the

full amount of the charge will be credited back to you as soon as

possible.

Once the pricing, full track listing, and mix are decided we will make

further information available by email, at www.dead.net, and at

www.GDStore.com, so keep your eyes peeled for future announcements. We

appreciate your interest in the Winterland 1973 Box Set and apologize

for any confusion. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to

get in touch with us at customerservice@gdstore.com

GDStore.com"

Pay attention to your credit card & make sure they reverse the charge. Things aren't the same since they outsourced operations to that Dave Matthews whatever it's called east coast outfit.

I got the same message this morning. I'm assuming when the Winterland set does become available that they are not keeping any of these pre-orders on file and that anyone who threw their hat in the ring early will have to kick start the process all over again.

For an outfit that seems to run a pretty tight marketing ship, I'm amazed they could let something like this happen. Myself? I'm choosing to take this message with a grain of salt. I think they know all the "w's" (what, where, when etc.) right now. I think they just let the (China) cat out of the bag a little sooner than they wanted to. Someone in their sales department must've tried to take on too big a fatty and wound up pushing the wrong button.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone hear the rumor that Grateful Dead Productions is going belly up?? Supposedly, Rhino is going to be taking over Vault.

So maybe that Fillmore box isn't so limited after all?

I hope?

Edited by gdogus

Anyone hear the rumor that Grateful Dead Productions is going belly up?? Supposedly, Rhino is going to be taking over Vault.

So maybe that Fillmore box isn't so limited after all?

I hope?

Well I wouldn't be surprised if they released each night individually. Each of the albums from the Golden Road box set that Rhino released were released eventually. I for one hope that they do. This music needs to be heard.

Not sure about taking over the vault, but at least they'll be releasing music from it via the DPs and other releases. (Sorry, don't mean to get picky on the semantics, though who knows, maybe they will.)

Hunter's diary from 5/1 had the following entry:

"Based on ignorance born of secrecy, it's my perception that DNC is in a

holding pattern, DeadNet being stone broke (which is why the opening

page hasn't been fixed - slow modems: try www.deadnetcentral.com) and

awaiting transfer, or so I understand, to Rhino Records which, so I

hear from the grapevine, may market our music, including subsequent

Dick's Picks, if negotiations work out. I understand they're not a bad

lot and want to administer it as righteously as they can. How righteous

that might be remains to be seen. Quite a job of cat herding involved. "

Click here for link to full entry

I've heard early July mentioned as the time of transfer but don't know how accurate that is. I would hope they have some things ready to go once the magic date arrives. Now we know why they wouldn't take our money on the 11/09-11/73 box when the link leaked out.