jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOVE AACM and AEOC!!!

OD, I'm doing a project on the Foxhole. Do you have any remembrances that you'd lke to share??

Oh, yeah. What a great place for music. I'll have to dig deep into what few neurons I have left. I attended church there from 1976-78. When I lived in Philly, I hung out at 3rd Stree Jazz a lot as well--and I used to go up to Sunny Murray's house. What a time! Do you rember Russ Musto (was that his name?). Do you have a concert chronology? P.M. me.

Rock Scully and Danny Rifkin (managers)

That was quick. :cool:

A box of orange sunshine shall be your reward.

Okay, who are the two women? And what was the name of scully's dog? (This one's for a cup of Jerry's ashes).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

seriously do any of you people listen to agitation free?

i would think someone into the jamming aspect of the dead would enjoy agitation free.

this is a good one-http://www.diregarden.com/god071.html

but this one-http://www.diregarden.com/god028.html

is even better.

soaring jams and nice compositions.

i don't listen to any grateful dead anymore, but when i need a similar fix i go for this album.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the Dead posted *another* download (Volume 10) that I would like to have yet I'm downloadably challenged........

Why can't they sell these as CDs like their 2004-05 tour and let me download the art?

I call them periodically to request this and all I hear is "that's a good idea- I'll pass it along."

:angry:

Google for the flac downloadable program--it's free. The flac part let's you download at the best quality. Be sure to download the flac frontend with it--this will translate the flac to wave which you can burn to cd or play on your computer. Otherwise, you should probably have an MP3 program on your computer. For most folks, MP3 is fine. For extra sensitive ears that want a prefectly precise digital copy, Flac is "lossless."

Anyway,once you have your program, just pay your bucks and hit download. The files will enter a folder which you can move to wherever you want (my documents, desktop, etc.) and you can take it from there.

Mmmmmmmm, more '72. Nice. Did you all get DP36? It is fairly ASTOUNDING.

What he said. I heard the "Morning Dew" from this on the GD Hour one night while driving home, and I just about had to stop the car.

They really ought to put warning labels on some of these releases. I try to reserve shows like this for longer drives, preferably driving through someplace semi-desolate in the western US, lest I get to caught up in the "trip."

Why can't they sell these as CDs like their 2004-05 tour and let me download the art?

:angry:

Umm...what?

Maybe I got the dates wrong- The Dead's last 2 tours where you could buy CDs of individual show or shows and the Dead provided the artwork so you can compile your own CD.

Anyway- I have DPs 33 and 36 arriving any day now. Can't wait!

Orchiddoctor- thank you for the information on the flac program- I'll look for it.

Yeah, flac is wonderful, and it seems that most trading over the net is done in that format these days. And the software is free!!

I'm glad you guys are getting behind DP 36. Except for a December 1973 concert in Cleveland (with what may be the longest Dark Star played) , that's the last show I caught until 1980. I had seen this new ensemble with Keith gell in March at the Academy of Music run. Those shows were the launching pad for the Europe '72 tour. The boys were tearing it up night after night. Then Europe happened. I saw them in Columbus--Cincinatti--Cleveland in the fall of '72 and the music had become almost frighteningly powerful. Playing in the Band had become a vehicle for tight, adventuresome jamming, and the Dark Star/Other Ones seemed like endless journeys through all sorts of musical terrain. We couldn't wait for the spot lights to hit the mirror ball.

But that Philly show! We had good--not great--seats at the Spectrum--in the balcony. It didn't matter, since the sound was superlative. The first set was tight. Great versions of the songs played. Then the centerpiece of the second set; Dark Star---Morning Dew. The Star started off without that much fanfare, but pretty soon it was off to the races. Long, but lean, until that breathtaking passage at the end when Garcia just went for it and went into that beautiful jam for the last five minutes. Then, after tantalizing us with the final notes, bam--the intro note to Morning Dew.

Oh, we got our money's worth.

For a long while, all I had was the audience tape that I made on a very poor dictation style cassette machine, but that was all I needed to recapture that jam. Then in the early nineties, a poor, bassy soundboard emerged. Then DP36. Though still not the best recording in terms of balance, hearing it took me back 23 years in an instant. If you haven't listened to it, you oughta. Do yer head some good.