Turntable maintenance and set-up

wolff

Just a few thoughts...

One of the things I've come to like about my turntable is setting it up correctly, and getting the most out of it. I've come to know my turntable quite well and have learned many interesting things about this method of playback.

Getting it set-up correctly and fine tuning the cartridge allignment can make nice improvements, while not damaging the vinyl.

Edited by wolff

What kind of fine tuning? What kind of player?

I recently saw this audiophile geek tweek -- a $300 "enhancement" for your turntable -- a mat to go on top of your platter, that is antistatic, disperses vibrations, etc. etc, and has the ability with supplied add ons to adjust the height of the platter to compensate for varying thicknesses of vinyl. I'm sure it works. I'm not getting it, though.

I have a Linn Sondek LP12.

I've also used this method to good effect, recently. Once things are set-up 'in the ballpark', using your ears is the way to go for fine tuning.

Some type of cartridge alignment tool, a stylus force gauge and a test record are essentials.

Edited by wolff

I've found with the LP12 that careful alignment with the spirit level can pay dividends. With the LP deck in the corner of the house you always have to be on the look-out for minor subsidence. Definitely scope here to rig up a laser levelling gizmo with real-time feedback to adjustment mechanisms on the LP12 supports :D

The Naim Aro arm never gives me grief though. After initial set-up it has done its stuff without any further change necessary.

Edited by sidewinder