Vacuum tube gear(valves) is nice, but....

wolff

My former 20wpc Audio Note SORO SE just crashed and burned (figuratively) from getting too hot. Apparently, I failed to change the output tubes before meltdown. :( Its a total loss.

I did get five years of wonderful music from that little intergated that could.

I am searching for a replacement. Will it be tube ? Without a doubt.

I hear you, wolff. My 75's could easily heat a small bedroom. Thankfully, my living room is arranged in such a way that the heat is not too bothersome (though my wife may disagree...).

Charles, sorry to hear about your amp. Were there any symptoms of the tubes failing befor the meltdown?

Thanks for the link Lon.

Z-man, no audible symtoms prior to death. I like to think that the amp died doing what it loved - making music. I don't mind the search for a new amp, nor do I in any way feel that I didn't get full value from the SORO. What I mind is being unable to play any LPs until I get a replacement.

I can play CDs in the car and on the dvd player @ home.

My former 20wpc Audio Note SORO SE just crashed and burned (figuratively) from getting too hot. Apparently, I failed to change the output tubes before meltdown.  :(  Its a total loss.

Did you toast the transformers? If not, why is it a total loss?

Edited by wolff

Never one to do things half-way, I fried 13 resistors and the transformer - the only salvagable "working" parts are a few of the tubes. Of course the aluminum case, not a "looker" to begin with, is in mint condition. :unsure:

Edited by charlesp

I drove north to Austin this afternoon and listened to two transistor-based systems @ 2 Austin stereo shops that still feature vinyl and turntables. I purchased The Great Jazz Trio's (Hank Jones/Richard Davis/Elvin Jones) new LP on 88 Records - SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME to audition the new amps.

At the first store, I listened to Rega P7 and P9 turntables w/ Dynavector moving coil cartridges and a Dynavector phono preamp through a Naim line preamp and Naim amplifier and Neat speakers. Elvin's contributions rocked, but I very much had the impression of electronics - VERY inorganic - it interfered with the music, which is what we are all about.

At the second store, I listened to a Reson turntable and moving-coil cartridge through a DNM preamp, a Crimson amp and passive ATC speakers - much more musical, more like my late lamented SORO se.

Great LP , by the way.

• 1 month later...

I drove north to Austin this afternoon and listened to two transistor-based systems @ 2 Austin stereo shops that still feature vinyl and turntables. I purchased The Great Jazz Trio's (Hank Jones/Richard Davis/Elvin Jones) new LP on 88 Records - SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME to audition the new amps.

At the first store, I listened to Rega P7 and P9 turntables w/ Dynavector moving coil cartridges and a Dynavector phono preamp through a Naim line preamp and Naim amplifier and Neat speakers. Elvin's contributions rocked, but I very much had the impression of electronics - VERY inorganic - it interfered with the music, which is what we are all about.

At the second store, I listened to a Reson turntable and moving-coil cartridge through a DNM preamp, a Crimson amp and passive ATC speakers - much more musical, more like my late lamented SORO se.

Great LP , by the way.

How are you liking that 88's LP? From the ads, they look like a quality product. I just ordered a CD(the horror) from the label and may want to pick up a vinyl title or two.

BTW..What gear did you end up getting?

Edited by wolff

Hoof In Mouth - Teva Tartar

"Will it be tube ? Without a doubt"

I lied.... I bought a very simple preamp/amp combination from Crimson Electronics crimsonusa.

I compared the Crimson with Naim and an Audio Note OTO. Neither moved me like the Crimson. I will miss tube rolling but the Crimson preamp will allow me to try a moving coil cartridge to my LP 12/Ittok LV II. The Crimson plays music, which is the only thing that matters.

With the price, I can afford to buy more music on vinyl and cd.

Edited by charlesp