Hat Hut Records upcoming releases

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

END OF AUGUST 2004:

Another essential reissue of one of the major works by Steve Lacy.

This is an absolute must and something not to be missed.

hatOLOGY 2-604

STEVE LACY FIVE

THE WAY (reissue, remastered)

Total time 115:32, ADD

Notes for The Way by Steve Lacy, Paris December 1979

The Way is a long story. Based on an old Chinese text, attributed to Lao-Tzu, it reached me 2000 years later, in New York, in Witter Bynner’s sing-song version: The Tao Teh Ching (published by Capricorn Books).

That was 1959. By ’67 I had already set the melody of ”The Way” for Irène and was mulling over the other verses.

The rest of the pieces were written in the late sixties. By the early seventies began the elaboration and realization of this music, known as Tao, which is still going on.

By now, after hundreds of performances of this cycle (in solo, duo, quintet, orchestra, with dancers, electronics, etc.), the shape and sound is coming clear and the whole work seems destined to become ”standard” one day.

New wings for old words – so be it.

This is the first complete recorded performance of Tao. Already, one year later, some parts have been modified, re-worked, developed. This music is complete, but, luckily for me, unfinished.

Tao dedicated to:

Existence–John Coltrane–Dawn

The Way–Alberto Giacometti–Morning

Bone–Lester Young –Noon

Name–Charlie Parker–Afternoon

The Breath–Gil Evans–Evening

Life on Its Way –Duke Ellington–Night

Made in concert in Basel, Switzerland, January 23rd, 1979 by:

Steve Lacy-soprano saxophone

Steve Potts-alto & soprano saxophone

Irène Aebi-cello,violin & voice

Kent Carter-double bass

Oliver Johnson-drums

END OF SEPTEMBER 2004:

Two new recordings:

hatOLOGY 611:

ELLERY ESKELIN

TEN

Total time 63:46, DDD

I take this music as a sign that whatever I may want or think I want there are forces at work beyond my awareness and that improvised music can offer wonderful surprises if one is open to them. Our celebration of a decade of music is marked with a project that does not look to the past but to the future.

– Ellery Eskelin

Ellery Eskelin - tenor saxophone

Andrea Parkins - piano, accordion, sampler

Jim Black - drums and percussion

and guests:

Marc Ribot - electric guitar

Melvin Gibbs - electric bass

Jessica Constable - voice

hatOLOGY 619:

eRikm & FENNESZ

DONAUESCHINGEN 2003

Total time 66:27

Liner notes in translation.

eRikm (Erik Mathon, Marseille) computer and 3-k.pad system

Fennesz (Christian Fennesz, Vienna) laptop, computer and masterdistortion

END OF OCTOBER 2004:

One new recording and another essential reissue:

hat(now)ART 151:

JAMES TENNEY (1934)

PIKA DON

Total Time DDD 66:53, DDD, Barcode: 752156015123.

Maelström Percussion Ensemble & Guests

Contucted by Jan Williams.

Tenney has often characterized himself as a kind of "tone scientist", that is, one working on an almost microscopic level with the primary materials of sound in order to expand our knowledge of its properties (what makes it what it is) and perceptual identity (how we respond to it). To do so, he has composed music that isolates the components of sound production into their most basic acoustic phenomena; music that explores and illuminates the subatomic pitch relationships within the harmonic series; music that combines these pitches into complexes motivated by systematic patterns or chance procedures. By thus objectifying music, and consequently rejecting its romanticized "self-expressive" nature, Tenney links composition with phenomenology.

"The basic idea in phenomenology", he told Gayle Young, "is making a more strenuous effort to see things as they are, depending upon whatever one is focusing on."

I think the best scientists and the best artists are precisely that – phenomenologists".

– Art Lange

hatOLOGY 591:

PAULINE OLIVEROS

THE ROOTS OF THE MOMENT (reissue, remastered)

Pauline Oliveros accordion in just intonation in an

interactive electronic environment created by Peter Ward

Total Time 58:19, ADD

For more than 50 years, Pauline Oliveros has been on a continuing mission: "… to explore new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before." If those words bring to mind the voyages of the Starship Enterprise from the television series Star Trek, the parallels are more than coincidental. In fact Pauline would be as able a captain of any Starship in the fleet of the United Federation of Planets. A bit of a difference here though, for Pauline Oliveros, space is not necessarily the final frontier and the barrier at the end of the universe is just another interesting challenge.

For Pauline Oliveros, like Sun Ra, Space is the place.

– Joe McPhee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope it will happen in this order.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Werner X. Uehlinger

Hat Hut Records

PAULINE OLIVEROS

For more than 50 years, Pauline Oliveros has been on a continuing mission: "… to explore new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before." If those words bring to mind the voyages of the Starship Enterprise from the television series Star Trek, the parallels are more than coincidental. In fact Pauline would be as able a captain of any Starship in the fleet of the United Federation of Planets. A bit of a difference here though, for Pauline Oliveros, space is not necessarily the final frontier and the barrier at the end of the universe is just another interesting challenge.

– Joe McPhee

Am I the only one who thinks the blurb about Star Trek is a little weird/over-the-top? Is Oliveros (or McPhee) a hardcore Trekkie or am I missing something?

Guy

PAULINE OLIVEROS

– Joe McPhee

Am I the only one who thinks the blurb about Star Trek is a little weird/over-the-top? Is Oliveros (or McPhee) a hardcore Trekkie or am I missing something?

Guy

You never noticed the pointy ears? :lol:

Guest Chaney

I used to have that Oliveros--I liekd the first five minutes & then the rest of it was a slog.  Don't know what I'd think of it nowadays.

Maybe a better match for the hat(now)ART line rather that hatOLOGY?

Besides the Lacy, the erikm/fennesz one could be interesting! Either I missed that broadcast, or they are indeed faster releasing it on hat than broadcasting it, for a change! (The Mitterer 2CD hatOLOGY was also broadcast, but as I have it in less than stellar sound, I'll get the release some day, too)

ubu

• 2 months later...