Artie Bernstein

mmilovan

Not so long ago I started thread on some other board:

"Anyone heard this talented bassist? He played with lot of mid 1930's band, and finally he was hired by Benny Goodman (you can hear him with Goodman's combo with Christian, I am in hope these tracks are in much better sound today on new Columbia's release).

He had big, full sounded tone, but flexible enough. Despite poor record equipment of the past Artie can be recognized instantly!"

Still, got no response. But what matters, I'm trying the same here on our board…

Now, why I'm doing this? Because today, during my usual listening hours while at work, I heard Artie doing that perfect bass playing in combo that included Roy Eldridge, Chu Berry, Putney Dandridge at the piano and other relatively unknown players (Nappy Lamare, g; Bill Beason, dm). Session took place on June 25th, 1935.

I listened to "When I Grow Too Old To Dream" track.

You know folks what happened?

It was shock to my ears and my mind, knowing someone to play so clean and, at the same time powerful bass one can ever imagine!

Bernstein is musician of Walter Page caliber, his lines have that 4-in-bar feel Basie rhythm was famous for. And, everything CAN be heard on that limited recording equipment of mid thirties!

Fantastic, amazing!!!

You've got to hear this session, and work of Bernstein as well!

It's a Putney Dandridge session - and Yes, Artie Bernstein was a great player - thoroughly professional.

Bernstein can also play very good bowed bass, had him on session recorded year earlier. It was not an easy task to do properly these days.

Dandridge certainly was under strong Waller influence, but he was strong and creative enough not to be straight Waller's copy.