Surface mail option to Europe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty banal stuff actually Ubu, got introduced by Stefan Baciu of the review Mele, some of whose whose poetry I illustrated- Stefan was also Rumanian-so the correspondence was mainly about participation in various little magazines and there was talk of him contributing to a couple of exhibitions I was organinising and also of my work at his foundation in Israel but then he up and died, and that was that!

Pretty banal stuff actually Ubu, got introduced by Stefan Baciu of the review Mele, some of whose whose poetry I illustrated- Stefan was also Rumanian-so the correspondence was mainly about participation in various little magazines and there was talk of him contributing to a couple of exhibitions I was organinising and also of my work at his foundation in Israel but then he up and died, and that was that!

Thanks for sharing!

btw, the cuckoo clock, so it seems, is originally a German product. Except for Japanese tourists, no one buys them anyway (well, maybe some almost mentally-retarted folks... ;) )

I know of nobody that has one hanging in his house or appartement!

Toblerone on the other hand :wub:

ubu

I once bought a Toblerone bar, after being curious about it for years. It was like birdseed in chocolate. Never again!

My parents got a cuckoo clock when I was very small. I remember that we had to wait for the weight to arrive separately by mail. One morning there was a bang as the weight arrived. The clock itself cucked but wouldn't "oo".

My Mom-in-law had a one (a cuckoo clock, not a Toblerone bar) when I first arrived in Canada. That one both cucked and "ooed". It was about 5.5 minutes off, and she also had a loud Westminster chiming mantelpiece clock that was also about 5.5 minutes off. All night, there was a chime or a cuckoo noise about every 5 minutes. The house was also next to a CP railroad freight line.

The only cuckoo clock I like is the one on the Roland Kirk album.

I once bought a Toblerone bar, after being curious about it for years. It was like birdseed in chocolate. Never again!

You mistook the whole purpose of the Toblerone bar, and yet you were so close... You're supposed to feed it to the cuckoo in the clock! No wonder your's wouldn't koo and your mum in law's didn't run on time.

You mistook the whole purpose of the Toblerone bar, and yet you were so close... You're supposed to feed it to the cuckoo in the clock! No wonder your's wouldn't koo and your mum in law's didn't run on time.

Gimme five, man!

I wondered if you would say that!

No, I meant, "give us some skin, Man!".

When it comes to chocolate, I turn to where the clocks apparently originated: Germany.

[Remember the Simpsons episode with "The land of chocolate"? It was a classic. "Once again I have failed. Mr Simpson, may we have a fruitful dialog?"]

See Ubu, Shrdlu lived in Canadada! It all comes together Toblerone, Kirk,Dada, Cuckoo clocks and surface mail. An example of Picabias theory of why our heads are round, so that thoughts can change direction? Or of chaos theory?

Makes sense indeed! Yes, and the cuckoo clocks are as german as were the guys who started the whole dada thing (Ball, Arp, Huelsenbeck, to name a few)...

And as you know it's not Switzerland where clocks are late, but it's Germany (look at the Deutsche Bahn, for instance, or at the Schröder guy's plans for reforms...)

ubu :)

yeah, the swiss are the real front runners here in Europe. Hardly anything old fashioned, all progressive and forward thinking...

Appenzell-H.jpg

You got it! :tup:o:lol:

And we also have nice ministers wisely leading our Nation's fate:

10772059794x3ChristophBlocher_ap.jpg

(where's that puking smiley if I need it?)

ubu :g

Yep Ubu ,you need the puking smilie, but we are treading on thin ice here, soon we will have to move to the misc politics if we are not careful.... :g

Why that gentleman is as nice as Messrs. Haider, Berlusconi, Le Pen, Möllemann (r.i.p.), Fortuyn (sp? r.i.p.)and a few others - I would see NOTHING political about that! Populism has nothing common with politics, populism is for the people, politics not, right? :g

Difficult to find an all encompassing bag in which to put all of these `gentlemen . (the Danish equivalent is however a woman, Pia something, forgot her name,she took over after the less than savory Glistrup.) We have so far been spared them up here-we had the buffoons of New Democracy a few years back, led by a well know light entertainment promoter, Bert Karlsson and Ian Wachtmeister but they soon imploded.Norway has them too,where they are led by Hagen. I think they are the second biggest party there but I could be wrong about that.

I would suggest Poujardist? Though in reality they represent a paradigm shift on the right and they seem to represent about 15% of the population generally on avarage in western Europe. In the good old days you could tell these people by the colour of their shirts!

However I hope not to upset you too much when I suggest that sometimes they are Ùbuesque! B) Glistrupp was anyway...

Actually I am not sure I would include Berlusconi on this list, though I would include his ally Bossi of the Northern League and perhaps Fini or whoever now leads the old MSI,though they ,having changed their name are trying to reinvent themselves as a respectable coservative party, much like the old Stalinist left didwhen they became good social democrats

Edited by Tony Pusey

Difficult to find an all encompassing bag in which to put all of these `gentlemen . (the Danish equivalent is however a woman, Pia something, forgot her name,she took over after the less than savory Glistrup.) We have so far been spared them up here-we had the buffoons of New Democracy a few years back, led by a well know light entertainment promoter, Bert Karlsson and Ian Wachtmeister but they soon imploded.Norway has them too,where they are led by Hagen. I think they are the second biggest party there but I could be wrong about that.

I would suggest Poujardist? Though in reality they represent a paradigm shift on the right and they seem to represent about 15% of the population generally on avarage in western Europe. In the good old days you could tell these people by the colour of their shirts!

However I hope not to upset you too much when I suggest that sometimes they are Ùbuesque! B) Glistrupp was anyway...

Actually I am not sure I would include Berlusconi on this list, though I would include his ally Bossi of the Northern League and perhaps Fini or whoever now leads the old MSI,though they ,having changed their name are trying to reinvent themselves as a respectable coservative party, much like the old Stalinist left didwhen they became good social democrats

I guess you're correct about Berlusconi/Bossi/Fini etc! However, we just need a large bag, made of thick strong material, catch them all, put them in the bag, and close the bag so noone will be able to open it again. Sure there will come others, if the first few are in that bag, but we'll have another bag ready for the next generation :P

And now we cut it! It gets political indeed!

Best we agree on a post-moratorium in this thread until your Mosaic finally arrives...

ubu :w

Shrdlu-How could we resist this offer? Just what I always wanted-but not very much! :P

Careful Ubu, I don´t want to leave politics and find myself discussing meta(pata)physical questions instead-I mean like your last post was Deep! (man)

Edited by Tony Pusey

Shrdlu-How could we resist this offer? Just what I always wanted-but not very much! :P

Careful Ubu, I don´t want to leave politics and find myself discussing meta(pata)physical questions instead-I mean like your last post was Deep! (man)

I am not DEEP, man, careful! :rmad: