which Stanley Turrentine to get?

reg

Back in the 90s, I had a chance to hang out with both Turrentine and Diana Krall at an Association for Jazz Educators convention. Stanley was one of the nicest, warmest humans I've ever had the opportunity to meet. He was wearing one of his trademark sweaters. I made a comment about how much I enjoyed the records he had made with his then-wife Shirley, and he was quick to tell me not to say that too loud for fear his current wife, who was nearby, might overhear. He then whispered to me that he liked them too.

At one point a painfully shy Diana Krall approached Stanley and asked if "Mr. Turrentine" might like to sit in with her that night when she played. Stanley lit up and said "girl, I thought you would never ask!" It was funny that Diana was so sheepish about it, since Stanley had played on her then current Impulse Record "All Of Me".

Great story. Thanks for sharing. :tup

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love most Stanley Turrentine albums, even the shitty ones. Stanley always played himself, no matter the circumstances.

But if you're a hard bop man, then I can quite see that much of it may not appeal greatly. As has been said before in this thread, the stuff with Parlan is among the best for that taste. Also, what never seems to get mentioned, "Z T's blues", with Tommy Flanagan and Grant Green. "More than you know" is sublimely melodic. This 1961 session wasn't issued until the mid eighties. Yes, I'd better dig it out, I haven't played it for a few months.

MG