What most of the world doesn't know can be tragic.

Hardbopjazz

My company held its annual summer picnic yesterday in the parking lot. They had a DJ playing music. His booth was set up like a giant jukebox with old albums and the album covers stapled to this giant jukebox. The dude had a original Sonny Clark Cool Struttin’, Blue Train amongst other jazz and rock albums. I looked at the Clark record. It looked almost mint, but he when and stapled it 4 times. I asked him where he got the Clark and Trane, and he told me, it was from his father’s collection his mom through out where he died. He went and took some of the records and made a collogue for his booth. The album and the sleeve looked perfect for both albums, first issues nonetheless. Man, if he didn’t go and do this, he could have had a good penny in his hand. I told him what he had there and what someone would have paid for those albums. His face turned stone cold. He goes and tells me he didn’t keep any of his father’s albums, a good 1200 or so.

What most of the world doesn't know

A lot of us have gone through the "mom threw 'em away" thing. I'll never forget mine proudly telling me when I returned from Vietnam how she finally got rid of those old comic books (my older brother and I had hundreds of Marvels, ECs and etc.- if you know what I mean). On the other hand, I've acquired some great records from other moms doing the same thing - maybe it all evens out in the end! :huh:

Yikes! 1200 LP's!! That's probably a lot of good music gone to waste. Dumb ass. :D I've found that people that have big collections know what they have(music) and hang onto it and still enjoy the music in the grooves.

Over the years I've been given quite a few LP's. I get calls from friends at garage sales asking if I want the LP's they see. Then there are the people that think any LP is valuable, just because it's an LP. :)

How many of you visit garage/ estate sales looking for vinyl? I used to do it quite a bit, but not so much anymore. It can be a good way to keep vinyl from being thrown out.

How many of you visit garage/ estate sales looking for vinyl?

hadup.gif

I was a vinyl hound for most of the 1980's and 90's. Unfortunately, stumbling onto original Blue Notes being given away by clueless moms was something that never happened in my neck o' the woods. Hmm... the owner of an original copy of Blue Train probably would have been... what... 50 years old in 1982? So, his mom would have been about 75... hmm... maybe I would have been better off hunting for a Beatles sweatshirt to replace the one my mom gave away in 1965... <_<

Unfortunately, stumbling onto original Blue Notes being given away by clueless moms was something that never happened in my neck o' the woods.

Same here. Best I did was stumbling on to a part time jazz DJ's garage sale. He was upgrading to CD's :D . Before he could have second thoughts I was out of there with 60 LP's(40 BN Liberty's and Blue label).

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine has copped tons of vintage jazz by keeping his eye on the obituary columns and, after letting a decent amount of time go by, contacting the widow about the jazz albums that he knows the deceased had. I was shocked at the time, at my friend's admitting that he was committing what I considered almost a grave robbery, but he has a lot more original jazz on vinyl than I ever will.

I felt physically ill when I read the first post on this thread. Holy man!! Isn't it at least a captiol crime to STAPLE vintage jazz??? If it isn't, it should be. :blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

For years I had been searching for "The Axidentals "Axidentally On Purpose", an old United Artists release. One day a friend in New Jersey (we each hold each others want's list) passed a driveway with a garage sale going on and stopped and found a box of LPs. He got the album I had been looking for for fifty cents in near mint condition. One never knows?

By the way, other albums from this fine group are "Hello, We're The Axidentals" and "The Kai Winding Trombones Featuring the Axidentals".