The Guardian jazz quizz

From today's edition of The Guardian:

The great big summer quiz: jazz

John Fordham

Friday August 6, 2004

The Guardian

71 Which famous American jazz singer performed Tea for Two in the documentary movie Jazz on a Summer's Day?

72 Who was the original Brazilian female vocalist on the hit tune Girl from Ipanema?

73 Which Canadian-born jazz arranger led a 1960 album called Out of the Cool?

74 Which trumpet star of the bebop movement was associated with the tune Hot House?

75 Who was the leader of the 1965 Impulse album Sun Ship?

76 Which rarely used member of the saxophone family was the preferred instrument of the British musician who made the album How Many Clouds Can You See?

77 Which superstar soul singer played guitar on the 1968 Miles Davis album Miles in the Sky?

78 Which jazz trumpet and vocal legend is associated with the song When It's Sleepy Time Down South?

79 Who was the subject of the jazz documentary Let's Get Lost?

80 What was the real name of the bandleader and composer Sun Ra?

81 Which British traditional clarinettist had a pop hit with Stranger on the Shore?

82 Which American jazz singer, who died in 1998, regularly performed the song East of the Sun?

84 Who wrote Watermelon Man?

85 Which jazz pianist wrote the frequently covered tune La Fiesta?

86 Whose international jazz reputation was made by his classic 1941 recording of Nuages?

87 Which pianist/singer first had a hit with Straighten Up and Fly Right?

88 For which famous American tenor saxophonist did Michael Gibbs originally write Sweet Rain?

89 Who plays piano with Louis Armstrong on the original take of the tune Weather Bird?

90 Who was the main soloist on the classic 1960 album Sketches of Spain?

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004

I confess I'm not sure of #76. I guessed C-melody since it's the only saxophone I can think of that's rarely used (outside of the sopranino, bass and contrabass saxophones, which don't seem to fit the rest of the question, since Anthony Braxton isn't a British musician who made the album How Many Clouds Can You See).