Uh oh, trouble with my NAD cd player

robviti

some of you might remember a thread i started a few months ago about buying a new cd player. with some help from other board members, i decided to purchase an nad 521BEE. well, after 90 days of use, i'm beginning to notice a problem. although the nad plays new discs flawlessly, it is less forgiving with some of my used cds. these are not discs that have been dragged through the dirt, like some library loaners. rather, the cds it tends to skip on might have a tiny scratch on them. mind you, these same discs seem to play fine in my dvd player, my computer, and in my car, but not the nad. since i own quite a few used discs and i plan to purchase many more in the future, this is definately a problem.

i can't find any evidence of this being an inherent problem with this model. so, is this something that can be repaired, or does it demand replacement with another unit? any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

I've got a NAD C520 that has problems with playback on certain discs. I was listening to a CD-R in the computer, and on my cheap little Memorex portable, and it was fine. Put it in the NAD, and there's all this weird helicopter-like noise. Same thing happened with the cd from CRASH that I recently got. I don't know what the problem is, but I don't like it.

i thought we were egging you buy the 541i? ;) so you went with discontinued goods ??

sorry to hear about that. "the workbench" or "audio workbench" does all the NAD post and warranty work here. it is located in Norwood so not far from Cambridge. i've got them at 800 263 4641 or 781 769 4337. ups will get it there in a day and a day back. nice, nice folks!

i thought we were egging you buy the 541i? ;) so you went with discontinued goods ??

sorry to hear about that. "the workbench" or "audio workbench" does all the NAD post and warranty work here. it is located in Norwood so not far from Cambridge. i've got them at 800 263 4641 or 781 769 4337. ups will get it there in a day and a day back. nice, nice folks!

the 521BEE is not a discontinued model. i'm familiar with the workbench, however i'll most likely bring my deck to audio lab in cambridge, an authorized dealer/service center that worked on my nad receiver a few years ago.

audio lab is a much better solve!!! plus it won't be wrestled around in a truck.

i did not realize the BEE suffix was a term for the newest 520 series. (funnin w/o the smiley.) looking now at the site i see this is a pretty strong sounding unit. i wonder how much better those Nichicon “Muse” capacitors sound in that 542? :g

i have an older 520 as a home unit and it still plays great! the 541i at my studio has it's only troubles playing CDRs that are burned at high speeds. the piece has tracking problems at the outer minutes of the disc when you try to skip to a track but plays just fine once it finally gets on it. it almost looks like it's working hard to oversample itself to find the right spot to settle into.

my only prob with that 520 was that it would not play the last cut of one of those BN breakbeats discs as it clocked in at 80 minutes to the tee. great machinery IMO.