Gary Burton - Like Minds

mlm

Welcome to the forum, mlm. And quite a catchy name you've chosen for yourself, I might add! ;)

Yes, I do like this release. I think there is always a danger in these all-star sessions of there being a lack of chemistry/fire, but these guys seem to have enough mutual history that this is not a problem. I really like the texture that this instrumentation creates. Man, Roy Haynes can fit into just about any situation, can't he?

Tell us what YOU like about this, please! Since it's your first thread and all. :)

Hello mlm,

also from my end: welcome :tup

as I'm a huge fan of Gary Burton as well as Pat Metheny (and a regular listener to some Chick Corea stuff, although he's not my favourite player) I do like this line up quite well although I have to admit that the strongest performances of Gary Burton are those where he plays as Duet with a piano.

There I can clearly recommend the Corea/Burton Zurich 1979 Concert on ECM (although you should watch out for the LP as the CD is only an exerpt of the concert) or even -to me at least- an extrodenary performance with Makoto Ozone on the Concord Virtuosi.

Cheers and many posts here,

Tjobbe

EDIT: THE Corea/Burton must have is the Crystal Silence (why have I missed that above :( )

Edited by tjobbe

mlm? I know what M.D.M. stays for, but who would be "l"? Welcome!

On Burton, I can't say too much, as I hardly know his work. The Rhino twofer starting off with the Jarrett/Burton album, however, is excellent! I think I like the Burton album that follows, "Throb," even better!

ubu

Add to the list A Genuine Tong Funeral.

Might be the most adventurous music of Burton's career.

Of course Carla Bley was not an inconsequential part of the album.

If you find the 1999 CD issue, you also get 5 cuts from Lofty Fake Anagram.

Edited by jlhoots

I liked Like Minds, but for me it was too many 'like sounds' or maybe it was the mix that made it the different instruments sound not different enough...

Love Crystal Scilence.

Burton's recording debut on Hank Garland's Jazz Winds From a Different Direction is worth checking out too.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

I liked Like Minds, but for me it was too many 'like sounds' or maybe it was the mix that made it the different instruments sound not different enough...

I liked it. Maybe it was having three chordal instruments, vibes, gtr and piano made it a bit crowded?

I should get this out and spin it, I really only heard it a few times.

Actually, that's what I did like about it. The blend of the similar timbres worked for me- it kind of reminded me of a modern version of George Shearing's sound.

I thought it was nice to hear something without a horn player for once, too.

We've all got different ears! ;)

Tell us what YOU like about this, please! Since it's your first thread and all. :)

I'm a drummer/percussionist/vibist, and Burton is a life long favorite (as is Haynes).

What I like about the release; just about everything, except the mix. The vibes and drums sound great, but the other inst., especially the piano, seem to be confined too much to one channel and lacking depth. Great performances though. One of my most listened to CDs, along with Coletrane's Impressions (Elvin Jones!)

I also like the 60s stuff like Duster and Lofty Fake Anagram, and the live stuff from Alone at Last, esp. 'Sunset Bell'.

• 3 weeks later...

Three harmonic instruments are always a trouble (vibes, guitar and piano). Luckily, the album is orchestrated thoughtfully and not too dense. The compositions are really good (this album is somehow a compositional contest between these great musicians), and the "heads" performed great. The problem with the album is that on some of the tracks there is just not enough space for improvisations and developing ideas (this means simply that improvisations are too short). Still I have this disc and enjoy it a lot.