Ta-Dah!!!!

It has a keyboard that neatly slides under the computer. It comes with 17" or 20" screen, and starts at #1,299. Very fast very quiet, very ahead of any PC I have seen. BTW, the stereo speakers are at the bottom, facing the desktop and designed to bounce the sound up at you.

cool.

7/4: Still expensive.

• It's not a PC from Dell. Quality always costs more.

7/4: Does it require a new operating system to make all your old software obsolete?

• It comes with Apple's OS X (Panther) but Connectix's Virtual PC (now owned by Microsoft) will allow you to run Windows and its applications.

7/4: Or when the new OS is released, is this machine obsolete?

• When the new Mac OS (Tiger) is released, it will work seamlessly on the new iMacs.

GregK: Where do you put CDs? Chris, will you be getting one?

• I guess those are two questions, Greg. I had shelves built for my CDs (several thousand were stolen from me, but there are still a few thousand left).

I can't afford a new Mac right now, but you can be sure that I will eventually get a G5. Having bought computers since 1978 or 9, I have learned always to wait when something new is introduced--prices come down, problems are corrected.

GregK: Where do you put CDs? Chris, will you be getting one?

I guess those are two questions, Greg. I had shelves built for my CDs (several thousand were stolen from me, but there are still a few thousand left).

Actually, I meant where on this computer do you stick a CD-ROM, etc? I guess I should have said, where the heck is the CD drive? is it that slot on the upper side?

The first thing I thought when I saw this was: "G5 laptops are not far away". This isn't all that much bigger than a powerbook, so they've almost got the heat issues under control. I'm sure they had to slow the chip down to get where they are, though.

I'm betting by the end of '05 we'll have G5 books.

Just earlier tonight I got so frustrated at this f-ing Compaq that I told my wife how happy I will be when I can pound it into dust. She suggested getting one of these new Macs (she's been wanting one of the iMacs since they came out, what, 2 or 3 years ago?) instead.