Looking for a good "no frills" cd player

dave9199

Rotel yes, Sony no. I honestly don't think Sony cares much about the sound of their gear. I swear by Rotel for value, good detailed sound. NAD sounds good, but their CD players are suffering quality problems currently. I have heard this from a few dealers, and seen posts on this board. You might try talking to Cadence / North Country Audio for some ideas, nice people.

The Toshiba 3950/60 DVD players are another option. I do not have one, but have heard good things about it. Use it as CD player. Or get two as they are about $70 each. If you are handy with a soldering iron, there are many mods(ggogle) that apparantly make this sucker sing.

Here is one of the postive reviews:

Forget the video capabilities. Haven't even tried to watch a viddy on this thing. Been too busy listening to cd's. There is a web buzz on this thing being an incredible bargain as far as it's sound on cd's. The buzz is right and no one will believe how good it sounds unless they plunk down their cash and take one home and plug it in. I am dumbfounded. How in the hell did Toshiba make this little silver box produce the sound it does. Jazz, female vocals, piano, rock-n-roll, metal all sound great on the 3950. I have a $10,000 digital front end to compare this to and I'm not selling either one but the only place this little $70 box falls short is on the most intricate details. You don't get to hear all the way into the music but you get incredibly close. This thing sings right out of the box. I have been playing it all day and am just stunned

Longevity may be an issue after reading a few of the 40 reviews.

Toshiba

Edited by wolff

For better sound quality, I´d recommend one of the smaller, budget oriented companies like Music Hall. (Unfortunately, I´m out of the country and short on details right now. If no one else offers up thoughts in the same vein, I´ll post more when I return to civilization.)

I believe I found that one & that's what I'm looking for; good cost & a workhorse. Cuircut City has one for $130 & and an RCA for $99. I'm going with the Sony. Just have to get the money put aside.

Cool.

BTW, Circuit City is where I bought my Sony CD Players. You might also want to see if they have any floor or gift return models of the same equipment.

Might save you a few more bucks.