What the hell Strata-East CD was he thinking of???

Rooster_Ties

Quick, does anybody have any opinions about the CD issue of John Hicks "Steadfast" (Strata East, 1975)???

Is there more than one CD issue?? (It looks like the one Dusty has for sale is the one on Bellaphon, being that it's from Germany. Has Charly even issued this on CD???)

Anyway, Spontoonious and I were just having lunch, and I mentioned that a friend (on the board) was going to be up in Chicago, and might be picking this up for me at Dusty.

Spontoonious said that the CD issue of this that he had (on Bellaphon), sounded really, REALLY bad. He thought it was taken from vinyl, and warped vinyl at that!!

Any opinions out there of the CD issue of this title?? Any advice within the next 12 hours would be much appreciated!!!!!

hicks_john~_steadfast_101b.jpg

John Hicks -- Steadfast . . . CD . . . $9.99 (Item: 84626)

Strata East (Germany), 1975 Condition: New Copy View Cart

Beautiful solo work from John Hicks -- one of the few straight pianists that can hold our attention in a setting like this for so long! The album's deeply introspective, but never overindulgent -- and features Hicks on a variety of short numbers that include some beautiful lyrical originals, and a few very well chosen standards. Titles include "Pensativa", "One For John Mixon", "Soul Eyes", "The Bright Eyes", "Serenade", and "Steadfast". (From the Jazz CD (E-I) page.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Mr. Tolliver and Strata East are questionable on a bunch of "fronts". I just don't get the attention paidto them.

Wanna elaborate, Chuck?? You've been sour on Strata East and Tolliver before, but haven't ever said much beyond the fact you think they're overrated (as a label), and that Tolliver is/was/always-was overrated too.

Thanks!!